Houzz Logo Print
wickedwhite

What mirror for our new vanity?

We are keeping the wall tile in our guest bath, but we are replacing the floor with large creamy tiles and replacing the washstand with a 36” blue vanity. (Note the new vanity will be installed where the washbasin is now.) We are leaning towards a round gold mirror over the vanity, but what size? And then what kind of vanity lighting? The new vanity will meet the left wall so not sure we’ll have room for sconces?

コメント (45)

• felizlady
    5年前
    Lighting in the mirror area is very important, so I would use two sconces there. I like a good-size rectangular mirror for grooming, a vanity with drawers or at least space for your overnight visitors’ personal necessities. A hand towel needs to be hung close to the sink, and bath towels need to be close by, either hanging or folded.
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you. I am really happy with the vanity. I was inspired by this photo. But agree, the lighting from sconces is so much more flattering than overhead. Any suggestions for rectangular mirrors? I don't mind the medicine cabinet we have now but I am planning to repurpose it to the master bath. We could use the extra storage there.
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    My other thought was to install mirror along the entire wall with sconces in the glass.
  • tartanmeup
    5年前

That can be lovely as well and give a feeling of spaciousness. Some people detest cleaning mirrors though. (I try to keep ease of maintenance forefront in my mind, especially for bathrooms.) What size of mirror do you need? Budget? Finish? Have you looked at Horchow and Uttermost? I always spot distinctive mirrors on their sites.

• ljptwt7
    5年前
    I like your vanity choice as well. Keep side sconces since you have the wiring! You may want to decide on mirror once vanity is in place, it will help you judge size and shape by seeing it with the existing mirror.
    Out of curiosity, why are you replacing floor tile? (I ask because I considered a tile like that in black and white but decided I would possibly get tired of it and decided to go with a white hex instead - waiting for my sample!)
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    I will check out Horchow and Uttermost. The hardware on the vanity is antique brass and the rest of the hardware in the room is all brushed nickel.
    The floor tile is currently painted. It was a quick fix to hide the ugly rust colour tile. We are finally ready to change it!
  • tartanmeup
    5年前

That's a painted floor?! Fabulous job! How long did it last? (It still looks good.)

• thinkdesignlive
    5年前
    I’m really confused about that towel bar.
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Yes. It was painted last summer. I should have touched it up after stenciling. It’s not perfect but not bad. It did the job until we were ready for the mess of pulling it up and replacing it. I chose the new creamy tile so it wouldn’t date as easily. Still live the look of those cement tiles though!
    The blue vanity is in a temporary position. It won’t be installed under the towel bar. Is that the cause for confusion?
  • thinkdesignlive
    5年前
    Temporary location. That makes sense now. :)
  • tartanmeup
    5年前

I love seeing painted tile floors around here. I think it's such a great solution for a floor you can't stand. Bathrooms are so expensive to redo. Most of us need transformation options like this. :) The cement tile look is great but your new tile will look even better in that space! Hope you'll post pictures when done.

• wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    For sure! Will post pics when it’s done.
  • Bryanna B
    5年前
    Great work! It’s so funny you have the same 2 inspiration pics I’ve been referring to for our small master bath renovation. I have put a priority on getting side sconces and have been debating what type of vanity as well. I love the mounted lights on mirror to give a sense of space to the tiny room but it was more expensive than I thought it would be (quote was around $600 for mirror and installation) and I am also concerned about storage space. Previous poster made a good point about cleaning I hadn’t thought of too! .... have you considered a recessed medicine cabinet? We have one in another bathroom and have loved the practicality of it. I’m actually about to create a post with my own dilemma related to it.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

You didn't mention changing out all your faucets, so this mirror frame is not quite silver and might please you. From Wayfair. If you select a mirror that is 24" wide +/- then you have 6" on either side for a sconce, but no more room than that.

Note that there are ways to have the sconces mounted through the mirror if the spacing is tight.

A Queen Anne mirror could provide you with a bit more space for the sconces.

• jbtanyderi
    5年前
    That looks VERY cramped.
  • Gerry
    5年前
    No advice on the mirror but can you tell me how you painted the floor? It looks great!
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Hi Beverly. Thank you so much for the mockup. I wasn't planning on changing the tub faucets. Guess the sink and tub need to match? Is there anywhere to mix in a bit of brass? Or best not to try?
    Six inches seems a bit tight for a sconce, even if it is narrow. I'm worried the space over the toilet will feel disproportionally empty if the area over the vanity is crowded. Keep in mind the vanity mirror, plumbing and sconces will all need to shift about six inches to the left when the new vanity is installed... Since it is wider than the current one.

We currently have a recessed medicine cabinet here. The plan is to move it to the master since we need more storage there. The floor was painted with regular floor paint from Benjamin Moore. I picked my colours. Rolled. The stencilled. Touch ups and a couple of coats of sealer. It's held up really well. It was a quick fix until we were ready for the bigger job of replacing it.
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Floor is down. Still stuck on lights and mirror though?
  • tartanmeup
    5年前

Looks fabulous!! What size is your floor tile? I like Beverly's suggestion of a Queen Anne mirror for room for the sconces. You haven't found anything that struck your fancy?

• thinkdesignlive
    5年前
    20% off everything at Rejuvenation right now. Very nice quality mirrors and lighting. You need to carefully figure out width and height of mirror w sconce. So select both at the same time and blue tape up the sizes to make sure all is fitting correctly. I’d say do a dark frame or no frame on the mirror and then match your metal on the sconces to what you are doing w the shower fixtures.
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    The shower fixtures are brushed nickel, almost pewter. And the vanity hardware is a light brass, almost a champagne silver.
    Here are some ideas in no particular order. Any preferences?
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Couple more
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    This was the original look I wanted, like the inspiration pic. But I was worried the quality of the lighting wouldn't be as nice as the sconces. Hope to make a decision this wknd!
  • User
    5年前
    You have nice taste...you did the bathroom on your own.
  • PRO
    David Bauer, Cornerstone Builders of SW Fl
    5年前

Your tile is wonderful! What about a mirror with a little standoff like this one? You can get this at Ferguson's and I think it comes in different sizes.

• thinkdesignlive
    5年前

The overall feel of the room leans more traditional so I think the 2nd grouping/2nd down (arched top and traditional sconces) would be my vote. I am not a fan of the hanging lights in a smaller space. That look needs a lot of breathing room (so no hanging light crammed into a corner like your condition).

• tartanmeup
    5年前

I agree with thinkdesignlive. Classic.

• User
    5年前
    Go with the 4th pick which you loaded the second time.
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks everyone. I found a silver arch mirror online that is 20 wide. That would give me eight inches on either side for sconces. The trick is to find ones that are narrow enough. This one has a backplate that is four inches wide.
    The other option is to go oval or do custom glass the full width of the vanity. Everything else just looks too tight!
    I know it's looking pretty traditional, but I do lean a bit more transitional. Was hoping to go classic with the tile and vanity but have a bit more fun with the mirror and sconces. Anyone have any experience with sconces in glass? Any pros or cons to this?
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks Claire. Those are nice. What mirror would pair them with?
  • User
    5年前
    Vara with the round top mirror
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    I think the 20 x 30 is too small for the space. The 24 x 36 looks better? It just means I need to find a really narrow sconce. Four inches max in diameter for the backplate.
  • scottie mom
    5年前

I had a similar space issue and I chose these. perhaps too retro-modern for your palette but small escutcheon and narrow shade. I don’t love clear glass on a vanity sconce due to glare. These have a porcelain shade that is warm and pleasant. Your bathroom looks really nice!

• User
    4年前
    Are you referring to the mirror because I would a mirror with an oval top
  • User
    4年前
    How about these?
  • User
    4年前
    I don’t know if you’re celebrating Easter or Passover but enjoy
  • wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Update! Sorry it’s taken so long. Life gets in the way. We are just about done this project. I love my new visual comfort sconces! Our old sink faucet couldn’t be salvaged so I bought this new one to try. Install is tomorrow. I chose brushed nickel since that’s what we have in the shower and the towel racks. Does it look okay with the polished nickel sconces and brass vanity handles? I’m a little worried it’s too many metal finishes altogether. Thoughts?
    Mirror will be settled next week. Thanks all!

• jbtanyderi
    4年前

Mirror the wall. The sconces will look good against it.

• User
    4年前

It looks beautiful!

• wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thank you!

• tartanmeup
    4年前

Gorgeous! I think the two metal finishes look just fine together.

• wickedwhite
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Mirrors installed! Very happy with final result. Might need a soap dispenser now and a small wastepaper basket. Maybe art for the long wall but don’t want to overpower the small space.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4年前

looks great