Houzz Logo Print
lsamberg

Ikea / Semihandmade kitchen reveal

leah
5年前

Hi! Thanks for all the help and inspiration this past summer while I was desperately trying to learn how to remodel our kitchen. We’ve been living in the new kitchen for 4 or 5 months now and are thrilled with the result!

It’s been a while, but I’ve been meaning to share this - both because I’m proud of myself and want to show it off but also because there aren’t that many kitchen remodels on here that are in our price range and I wanted to show an example for others in a similar bracket.

We bought the house 2 years ago, and it's a cool funky 120-year-old home that's had layers of remodels over the years. It's been well taken care of, but the kitchen wasn't meeting our needs in terms of workspace and storage. We didn't have much to put into a remodel, but felt it was worth seeing what we could do within our budget. I did a lot of internet research, crossed my fingers, and jumped in. I didn't work with a kitchen designer or any other kitchen pro, so it was a huge relief when it all came together.

The whole project came in around $18,500:

• Materials ~10k (Semihandmade fronts/panels the biggest expense)

• Labor ~$7k

• Appliances (fridge + microwave) ~$1500.

The project took about a month from demo through completion (minus a few odds and ends).

Details:

Cabinets/Drawers – Ikea Sektion with Semihandmade fronts and panels (Clay color)

Sink – Ikea Havsen

Counters and shelving – John Boos Maple Butcherblock

Tile – Fireclay Tile, Slate Blue

Pendants and wall light – Rejuvenation Hardware

Wall paint – BM White Cloud

Island paint (and nearby accent wall in living area, not shown) – BM Kensington Blue

*The only thing left to do is counter stools for the island – so if you have suggestions let me know!

Thanks!

Before (messy and full of toddler):

After (from roughly the same 3 vantage points):

コメント (33)

• Hillside House
    5年前

That’s gorgeous, and I love that you went with such a strong color for the backsplash! Great job!

leahさんはHillside Houseさんにお礼を言いました
  • kazmom
    5年前

Beautiful!

leahさんはkazmomさんにお礼を言いました
  • stillpitpat
    5年前

It looks wonderful! Love the backsplash!

leahさんはstillpitpatさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    5年前

Love your bold choice of backsplash!

leahさんはCAGE Design Buildさんにお礼を言いました
  • felizlady
    5年前
    I’m glad you moved the refrigerator!
    Is the butcher block treated or raw? I give mine some (edible) mineral oil (rub on with a soft cloth) to keep it a bit more moisture-tolerant. It also enhanced the color. I don’t actually chop or cut on the butcher block...for that I use plastic cutting sheets or some slabs of Corian from a previous kitchen.
    leahさんはfelizladyさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5年前

A true transformation! You must be SO pleased...

leahさんはAnglophiliaさんにお礼を言いました
  • rantontoo
    5年前

Well done, You must love the elbow room you gained by shifting the stove down. No fridge blocking the opening, but where did it go? More photos needed, please.

leahさんはrantontooさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5年前

Incredible work! What a transformation.

leahさんはLion Windows and Doorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • leah
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

@rantontoo - there was a beautiful old built in cabinet in the back corner, which we loved but made that whole space very difficult to use. we got rid of it - which was the hardest decision in the whole process! - and put the fridge in its place. (we also downsized the fridge, the one that came with the house was enormous)

Before:

After:

• leah
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

@felizlady - butcherblock is just mineral-oil treated. We don't cut directly on it, but could if we wanted to.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5年前

Magnificent! Congratulations on a job superbly well done. Your kitchen is dreamy. I love the countertops especially- and the backsplash ain't shabby either ;-)

leahさんはRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Realさんにお礼を言いました
  • just_janni
    5年前

well done! backsplash is lovely. as is the color you chose for the semi-handmade fronts! You must be so happy!

leahさんはjust_janniさんにお礼を言いました
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    5年前

Love it, you made the space a pretty workhorse.

i just talked to semihandmade this morning about my laundry room.

leahさんはAnnette Holbrook(z7a)さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    5年前

Looks great!

leahさんはMega Buildersさんにお礼を言いました
  • damiarain
    5年前

Looks really nice - I like the colors you chose! Thanks for sharing!

leahさんはdamiarainさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    5年前

Wow! Looks fantastic! For being on a budget, your project turned out amazing! Congrats and enjoy!

leahさんはStecki Constructionさんにお礼を言いました
  • rantontoo
    5年前

I think your fridge-cab trade-off was the right choice for a better working kitchen...I would have agonized too. You did such a nice remodel.

leahさんはrantontooさんにお礼を言いました
  • live_wire_oak
    5年前

So the cabinets were 17K? Because you aren't listing the cost of anything else. 18.5K isn't the project total if the flooring, backsplash, counters, lighting, ventilation, electrical, painting, sink and faucet, and everything else isn't included. Please break down those cost totals.

• pdjh
    5年前
    Oh, and for stools for your kitchen, I’d go with something a little rustic and in counter height.
    leahさんはpdjhさんにお礼を言いました
  • kodiac23
    5年前

Beautiful

• leah
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

@live_wire_oak

Here's a more detailed breakdown, rounded to the nearest $100, which is how I have it in my notes:

Materials:

• Ikea (cab boxes and drawers, cab/drawer pulls, sink) - $1600
    • Semihandmade fronts & panels - $4200
    • Butcherblock counters & shelving - $2200
    • Faucet - $300
    • Backsplash tile - $600
    • Shelf brackets (etsy) - $200
    • Paint - $150
    • Lights - $600

Labor:

• A builder we know here in town did cabinet demo and installation, drywall repair, counter and sink installation for $6200
    • Backsplash tile labor - $400
    • Electrician: 700

Appliances:

• Fridge -$1100
    • Microwave - $400

We assembled the cabinets ourselves and did the painting.

We didn't change the flooring or do any structural or ventilation work.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• leah
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

@pdjh - beautiful and I love the backplash!

And yes, counter stools are proving unexpectedly tough - yours look really comfortable!

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5年前

great job.....

• Alison
    5年前

I love that! Gorgeous!

• traci_from_seattle
    5年前

You did a great job. I love your backsplash choice and the natural wood.

• Tudorista
    4年前

I love this! Great job on a really approachable budget. Thank you for sharing. How is the butcher block near the sink holding up? We are considering something similar.

• leah
    質問の投稿者
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Hi, @Tudorista, thanks. So far so good on the butcher block around the sink, but it's only been a year so I think probably too soon to say.

We definitely worry about it, specifically the area around the faucet behind the sink where water often pools, and would have preferred a sink that went all the way back to the wall (like the old domsjo that we were hoping to get initially). But we figure if it doesn't hold up in the long term we can replace just that segment of counter with something else. Good luck!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4年前

Great job!!!

• Freckle Lip
    4年前

Can you tell me what you mean by semihandmade fronts and panels? Do buy the ikea box structure then make the fronts?

• luscious111
    4年前

Sherri, semihandmade is a company that makes doors for ikea boxes (kitchen, vanities and media units). Then you can use the functionality of ikea while getting a more custom look and way more choices of door.

• luscious111
    4年前

Leah, looks great! Hope you all love it and great job on a good looking new kitchen.

• PRO
    Scott Hall Remodeling
    4年前

Great job, it looks wonderful!