Houzz Logo Print
k4thleen

How should I screen my balcony?

k4thleen
5年前
最終更新:5年前

I have an old balcony that needs a new railing and privacy screens. I can do some tall laser cut screens along the inside rail (with supports) and then have the railing butt up to it at the end, but I'm not sure if it will look strange just free-standing there with no structure tying it to the house? (There isn't really a place to attach something) Or do I just screen around the corners too...I feel that would be overkill..

My style is colonial coastal so I could perhaps do some kind of shutters instead. We have a BAL 29 here so it needs to be metal. The pic directly above is the rail that needs the screens the others are all ok for privacy.

コメント (10)

• PRO
    URBAN METAL
    5年前

Hi K4thleen - What a fab project. You certainly have plenty of options! My suggestion would be to work out your budget and then find a solution or solutions which will match what you want to spend. Some ideas might include Laser cut decorative screen for the taller section and then you could leave the existing balustrade as is, maybe just with a fresh coat of paint. You could have a vertical slatted screen for the tall section and then either perforated or laser cut panels for the balustrade. Keep in mind that there are rules and regulations in regards to 'climbability' (hence the suggestion of perforated design rather than laser cut). I also really love the combination of timber screens amd powder coated screens - they make a great combination. In regards to colour, you could pull something from the colour pallet of the tiles.

k4thleenさんはURBAN METALさんにお礼を言いました
  • k4thleen
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

Thanks - yes all the railing needs replacing to a safe height. I was going to do a white thicker rail that looked like painted white timber.

• julie herbert
    5年前
    Hi,
    A few inspiration photos for you, a horizontal slat timber screen would look great, why not move away from the white and do a stained timber to give a whole new look, a metal screen could look beautiful also
    k4thleenさんはjulie herbertさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5年前

Replace hand rail with one that is to the correct standards but also suits the era of the house.

By the look of it unless you screen or enclose the whole lot you'll always be looking at neighbours around you.

Cool house by the way, the tiles, etc look great!

k4thleenさんはMB Design & Draftingさんにお礼を言いました
  • k4thleen
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks but a lot of this is going, new tiles, walls, windows etc It's all old and poorly built.

• k4thleen
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

This is the look I'm after, will have a different fence....(this is the front)..just not sure how to work in a screen out the back...

• gwyn5
    5年前

I think the idea of a lazer cut screen is excellent, but I would keep it extremely simple, clean, perhaps a vertical, somewhat open design. I would also only take it to the legal height, leaving the top open. The corner could be taller, but keep maintenance in mind. Perhaps tall, thin conifers, 'Sky Rocket' might answer.

Your views are what they are into next door, but sitting in a chair would give you privacy. Love the tiles.

k4thleenさんはgwyn5さんにお礼を言いました
  • littlethommo2 .
    5年前

If your concerned about the screens not looking quite right with the house or railings, or if you dont have the budget for an expensive screen, you could also consider a growing an easy maintenance, fast growing vine like Star Jasmine over a less expensive screen and training it a little way through the railing to tie them both in. Star Jasmine will grow happily in a pot and will cover everything, hiding all sins! It will also give you a lovely green outlook, complete privacy and the scent of the flowers on a summer night is intoxicating. I have star jasmine covering two totally different 2m high cheap screens (one lattice and one rio metal bar) in my courtyard which separates my yard from my neighbours and it provides a gorgeous leafy outlook with total privacy and covers the screens entirely from base to top so you cannot see the unattractive lattice or rio behind it and all it needs is the occasional trim.

k4thleenさんはlittlethommo2 .さんにお礼を言いました
  • k4thleen
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

That's a nice idea thanks, I was planning on having plants on the balcony.

I'm not sure how my allergies would be - it smells great but can be very fragrant. I could perhaps have some open screen and some green. I might draw it up and see how it looks.