Houzz Logo Print
sonalitheisen

Where should I stop tiling for backsplash?

DR4
5年前
I have a corner range with low profile hood being installed. Should my backsplash in the corner stop at range height (red line), bottom of cabinet height (blue line), or top of cabinet (green line)? Backsplash is a herringbone pattern. Thanks so much!

コメント (77)

• Toni Hamlett
    5年前
    Good luck as the kitchen is very nice. I do worry about all the grout. Any chance it comes in bigger tile to minimize the grout lines. If not go for it as you are the one who needs to be happy in the end. All the best, you have done well with the project.
  • DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you everyone. I went ahead with the smaller tile, let’s see what happens. If I hate the upkeep over time I am ok with replacing the backsplash.
  • Kris Kinkead
    5年前

Smaller tile and up to the blue line looks great think you made the right choice.

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Updated photos with the tiles in. I now feel like I should have gone to the top of the cabinets on both sides of the kitchen (ie tile the empty wall by the light switch). Would love any opinions you’ve all been so helpful!
  • Toni Hamlett
    5年前
    Adding the tile on the switch side would look odd because you would go past the counter top. Currently it looks really good. Nice job
  • DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you @bikertoni. I would go to the top of the upper cabinets on both sides if I went up, so the entire wall with the switch would be tiled. Thought it might look more finished that way but maybe I’m overthinking it.
  • isabel98
    5年前

the way it is done is perfect; no need to tile anymore. It looks great!!

• chicagopa
    5年前
    Beautiful! I love the tile! Post another picture please when the counter is uncovered. Also, are those custom cabinets? I’m very interested in the corner cabinets by the window with the glass on two sides.
  • DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks @chicagopa...this is my first renovation and I have been collecting samples for the last two yrs...I’m relieved it’s coming together ok. I loved both the tiles and the marble early on, and decided to use both despite some valid words of caution on here and in stores. (The counters are only 2cm thick, the tile is prob going to be a pain to keep clean, and the patterns together may be too busy for some). But I suppose I’d rather be happy with higher maintenance than not following through with what I liked!

The cabinets are custom—it took some convincing to get them done that way, but I really wanted to let in light from the window.
  • nmshea
    5年前
    My guess is that you won’t like what the backslash pattern does as you run it around that corner. I woudl suggest putting a suggest putting a square of your countertop material on that wall.
  • daisychain Zn3b
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

It looks unfinished because you extended the tile past the upper cabs. I get why you did it with the range right there, but it would have been fine to stop it at the upper cabs as long as you use scrubbable paint on the wall (I have the same corner range set up). I agree with you that another way to make it look more finished is if it went to the top of the cab. I'm not convinced that you need to do it on both sides. I would do two things. First, I'd cover the tile that extends out past the upper cab with white paper and see how that looks. then I'd take a pic of your tile, colour print it and make copies and stick them up on the wall to the top of the cab to see how you like it. If you're good at photoshop, you can do it that way, but for me, I can't tell unless I see it in person.

ETA: your kitchen is gorgeous, you obviously have good instincts.

• Gargamel
    5年前

It looks really nice as it is. Once the range hood is in it will look different on that window side. I'm just curious what that metal door is in the wall under the window...will your oven door open without hitting it?

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you @daisychain01. That is v helpful. I do feel strongly about having tile against the entire corner wall—I envision a lot of red said splatter otherwise. I’m now wondering if it would make sense to cut the tile at an angle to match the range hood profile—so that there isn’t an arbitrary triangle of tile sticking out in the corner above it by the window?

@gargamel...yes the oven door clears the metal thing on the floor. We believe it’s a coal closet—one of the original prewar details in our apt (a long with an original phone). I wish they hadn’t primed over it but will have it repainted.
  • cluelessincolorado
    5年前

It just looks like it stops abruptly. Maybe paint that one wall a light blue/grey to pick up the edge color of the tile. That is one pretty kitchen!

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you @cluelessincolorado. I’m considering cutting the tile behind the range hood (roughly marked in blue in the attached photo.). Do you think that would be less jarring? And yes the rest of the walls will have paint or wallpaper of some kind.
  • cluelessincolorado
    5年前

The angle to match the hood? I didn't see that part ;)

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    @cluelessincolorado do you find it less jarring that way or as-is?
  • cluelessincolorado
    5年前

How will you finish the cut edge? Does the hood go to the filler piece or closer to the wall?

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    @cluelessincolorado the hood goes to filler piece, there is about 3 inches between hood and wall. I would finish the edge with the tiles themselves as I have elsewhere (pic attached), but end it a half inch below the range hood.
  • Tammy Sartwell
    5年前

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Could you tell me about your counters, I love them!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5年前

DR4. I love it. so nice to see something different. Love your windows too.

I hope you're doing gold hardware.

and yes, what is your countertop? Calacatta Oro?

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you Tammy and Beth! I love them too but was nervous to do them. Counters are Calacatta Vagli 2cm that I got at a great price as I used 2 half slabs. Worked out significantly less expensive than anything else I had looked at, natural or man made. I did a chestnut plank cork floor with a similar swirl pattern to the marble. Yes using brass hardware from Classic Brass. Will post a photo when it’s all in.
  • daisychain Zn3b
    5年前

If it's possible, I think cutting it at an angle would look best. I didn't get that the hood would stick out past the cabs. Yes, that is going to make it look much more finished once the hood is up.

I keep coming back to look at your splash. It really looks sophisticated - esp. with your other choices. It's tweed-like from a distance and the edging is perfect.

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you @daisychain01. I agree on cutting the tile. And yes I’m happy with how they came out...my goal was to add texture but not a ton of color to my kitchen.
  • daisychain Zn3b
    5年前

So, as you may have noted above, tile that is laid beyond the upper cabs is a pet peeve of mine. But because our set up is the same as yours, I was looking at our set up and realized that ours actually extends a few inches past the upper cabs on the wall next to our range, but because of the hood, I never noticed it before. I think once your hood is up, you'll be much happier with how it looks.

• cluelessincolorado
    5年前

Thumbs up on the angle!

• User
    5年前

I love that herringbone tile. The scale is really pretty to my eye and a little bit different than you usually see. What kind of granite is that? I love all your selections!

• eaw 513
    5年前
    Oooooh, your kitchen is gorgeous. I happen to love the herringbone backsplash. I know it’s a cleaning issue but you’ve gone with a scrub able grout and are a self admitted deep cleaner so it should be fine. Great job, tanks for sharing.
  • DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    So helpful @Leona Photography, thank you!
  • PRO
  • DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    I know I ask to many questions, but I’m having a tough time deciding between grouts. The darker one is shimmery. I think I like it in the joints better, but think makes the tile overall read more yellow/beige. Opinion? Should I try something in the middle?
  • daisychain Zn3b
    5年前

Can you post a pic of the grouted areas from further back so we can see how it relates to the counter colours?

I had thought it was grouted already. I really like the way it looks now and am thinking the darker would maintain that look best, but the lighter colour is also nice. I would like to see it from further back if you can.

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Sure here it is from farther back. Darker grout definitely looks closer to current
  • daisychain Zn3b
    5年前

Honestly, I think it is just a matter of personal taste. I generally like a contrasting grout, but usually on this forum it is split 50/50 between those that prefer less contrast and those that like more.

I think the light grout gives it an airier feel and I think you said above you wanted a lighter look to the space overall (hence the genius glass cabs). Because the tile has the darker edges, it looks like you're going to retain some contrast and the tweedy look even with the light grout.

It might be worth it to see a medium tone grout, but I'm kind of leaning to the lighter. Is the light the same as the lightest part of the counter? Is it a match to the cab colour or is it lighter?

• PRO
    Leona Mozes Photography
    5年前

Hello DR. Questions are good! Keep them coming ;-) I think many readers have expressed concern about keeping a light coloured grout clean near a cooktop. Before deciding on a grout color, may I suggest taking a few moments to simulate a real-life situation by applying some type of cooking fat or oil on the grouted joints. Wait a few minutes, then try wiping/washing it off with your preferred cleaning product. Todays' grouts and grout sealers are far more resistant to staining than in the past, so maybe there will be no discoloration, but what if there was ? This simple test may eventually save you a lot of time and money. Getting back to your original question, I prefer the darker grout ;-) If you're not in a rush, live with your mock-ups for a few days and see how it looks in different lighting conditions (night, day, sunny and overcast). This may assist you in your color choice. Every person will have a different opinion, but you're the one that has to live with it, so if you are patient, the best grout color will talk to you ;-)

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Fantastic advice thank you @Leona Photography! What a great community here on Houzz
  • PRO
    Leona Mozes Photography
    5年前

Pulled back, now I definitely prefer the dark. I find the light tile compliments the cabinetry and countertops, and the dark grout compliments the stainless appliances, but as DaisyChain said, this will most probably be a 50/50 split ;-)

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    @daisy chain...the lighter grout is still slightly darker than the counter but almost same. I’m thinking about trying to get something between the two!
  • mileve
    5年前

I think the dark will complement the brass fixtures better. I love that tile!

• User
    5年前
    Ooh, I love your choices for this kitchen! You’ve done a wonderful job. The tweedy effect is lovely, something I wasn’t sure of before you showed it installed. Sophisticated and elegant. Me, non pro here - I’d probably go with a middle color grout, but I think any choice would be lovely. Well Done!
  • DR4
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

I was writing a completely different post this morning and remembered this one and how helpful everyone was with my kitchen choices. I thought I would post the final kitchen photos now that it’s done. (I’m a color addiction and could not resist throwing in some fuschia accents.)

• Gargamel
    4年前

Wow, it looks great! Nice and cheery

• zaccaii
    4年前

A picture of completed tiling? thx

• DR4
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

@zaccaii here you go. Pleased to report its been a breeze to keep clean. I’m glad I went with the herringbone.

• scottie mom
    4年前

Lovely, sophisticated, and... wow! Please show more pics :-)

• theclose
    4年前

This is just beautiful! I love everything. Enjoy!

• RedRyder
    4年前

Very nice! The herringbone came out beautiful!

• houssaon
    4年前

Super space!

• zaccaii
    4年前

Thx for pictures, awesome choices!