Houzz Logo Print
valtex

Buying solid surface or Granite Countertops

valtex
10年前
Searched a few articles, but did not find the information I am seeking. Exactly how does this process work? I have been told "you must buy a whole slab" for both granite and quartz. If this is true, how do the remnants occur? Does the fabricator keep what is left over? Also, my cabinet maker prefers a certain fabricator who favors a certain supplier. Am I bound to use these two sources? If not how should I handle the situation? We are starting our remodel with a master bath and really wanted Cambria quartz, but the countertop will only use 20 sq ft. What would become of the rest of the slab? Found some granite, both a small slab as well as a remnant at two different suppliers, but is this rude to my cabinet person? As you see, I need a countertop 101 course as to the buying process in detail. Thanks in advance for any explanations.

コメント (2)

• Judy M
    10年前
    I had a similar problem as I only needed five feet of marble for a vanity top.
    I was told at two places I needed to buy the whole slab, but those places were just fabricators (they made the counter but bought the slab from another place).
    Once I found a place that both sold the slabs and fabricated the counter, I only had to pay for the portion of slab I used.

However I had to use a corner of the slab, I cools not use the middle, as that would be too much waste.

It worked out very well for us.

I hop that info helps.
  • PRO
    Custom Dwellings
    10年前
    While you typically do pay for the entire slab to be aquired by the fabricator you are charged only for fabrication of the amount you are using. Often working in baths I advise clients to use as much of the slab as is feasible- bench seat, curb, and shampoo niches in the shower are all nice accent areas. If you are shopping for a particular color/mfr of quartz it may be worth checking multiple fabricators to see if they happen to have any remnants in their "boneyard".