Houzz Logo Print
sandyp218

Please Help! Kitchen Layout - Two Options

sandyp218
5年前
最終更新:5年前

Hello design community,

I need your help. I have two options for placement of my microwave. Either over the range (Option 1) or over the counter (Option 2). The following pictures are the two options. I am in desperate need of immediate feedback as the cabinets have already been ordered. Your feedback and opinions are greatly appreciated!!

Please vote, Option 1 or Option 2. And if you like Option 2, should we move the wine rack to between the cabinet and the microwave? Or leave it where it is?

Thank you for your help!

OPTION 1

OPTION 2

コメント (26)

• Buehl
    5年前

Definitely Option #2. But, could you lower it a bit? It's still a little high for the average person.

Actually, I don't like the wine rack. First, it's current location is near an appliance that gives off heat -- I'm not sure that it's the best place to store wine. 2nd, it looks "off" -- I don't know what it is, but it doesn't look right.

FYI...since it's Thanksgiving Eve and many of us are already preparing dishes for tomorrow, you may not get many responses. Holidays are usually slow on the Kitchens Forum.

• functionthenlook
    5年前

#2 over the counter. I had a microwave over the stove and it was terrible at venting.

• sandyp218
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

I know the timing is terrible but we have to submit a change order. THANK YOU for your input!!!

I'm not crazy about the wine rack either but we needed to find something to fill 6" of space.

Again, THANK YOU and Happy Thanksgiving!

• emilyam819
    5年前

#2 and the wine rack is fine (unless if you are very particular about wine).

• emilyam819
    5年前

You can always store rolling pins, vodka bottles, etc in the wine rack.

• PRO
    PAROX STUDIO
    5年前

I would say #2 with no wine rack! If you need a wine rack move it down between the two base cabinets. (lower=cooler and no appliance)

• rantontoo
    5年前

#2...why not just make the cab larger?

• kazmom
    5年前

Option 2. If you don’t like the wine rack I would do a 3” filler on each side.

Also, if you have the option, I love our microwave drawer!

• Gargamel
    5年前

Option 2. Maybe move the wine rack over to beside the microwave and slide the bigger cabinet next to the fridge. You'd have to be the Jolly Green Giant to reach the wine on the top shelf though - lol

• Sebago Gal
    5年前

#2 but move the wine rack to other end if you really want it. or just open shelving onthe end . Wine next to fridge is not the way to store. I would make the cabinet wider if possible.

• Gargamel
    5年前

Yes, put the wine rack on the far end (is this an alcove?) then maybe your upper and lower cabinets seams would line up with each other - especially the big upper.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    5年前
    #2. I'd remove the wine rack as well and use a filler as a previous person mentioned. if you wanted to use the space you could also possibly do a spice rack or baking sheet pan storage cabinet.
  • PRO
    PAROX STUDIO
    5年前

if you want to keep that 6" space you can do upper cabinet pullout.

sandyp218さんはPAROX STUDIOさんにお礼を言いました
  • Gargamel
    5年前

I thought the cabinets had already been ordered...

• RubyRoses
    5年前
    definitely option 2
  • partim1
    5年前

Option 3. Purchase a microwave that hangs under the upper cabinets. I have a GE one that I like. No loss of counterspace or cabinet space. Go to this link and scroll down and you'll see a picture of it installed under a cabinet. Very practical. https://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/PEM31SFSS

sandyp218さんはpartim1さんにお礼を言いました
  • sandyp218
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who took the time to comment with feedback. We are meeting with the designer tomorrow to discuss the next steps and you all have provided some great options!!! Genuinely, THANK YOU for taking the time out of your busy holiday to help. I appreciate all the comments.

• artistsharonva
    5年前

Thanks for the thank yous to everyone. Good luck with designer. Please post what ideas were gathered.

• PRO
  • User
    5年前

#2, and get rid of the wine rack and insert a pull out slider for spices.

I never found your sink by the way

• wilson853
    5年前

I like artistsharonva's mock-up. It looks like that cabinet is deeper than the flanking cabinets already. We have the same MW as partim1 above, but it is behind an Aventos lift up door under our TV. We made the counter under the MW 27" deep. Our coffee station resides there so having the extra few inches is very nice to have. If you are not using a counter depth refrigerator, make the refrigerator panels deeper and then the countertop can die into the side panel.

• wilson853
    5年前

You could also use a retractable or a flip-up door. Just remember that you will need your electrician to install an outlet in the proper location.

Lenox Kitchen & Family Room Renovation · 詳細

Divine Kitchens LLC · 詳細

• wilson853
    5年前

Cape Cod Kitchen · 詳細

View of kitchen work area · 詳細

New Construction-Lake Leelanau · 詳細