Houzz Logo Print
kkristie

to stair runner or not to stair runner?

K G
5年前
I am looking for advice about stair runners. We redid our stairs last year (railing, oak treads, etc - it was worth it but expensive) when we remodeled the house which included entirely new floors. The stairs are visible when you enter the home - I love them. The entry is l boring - it is on the list of spaces to decorate now the most
Of the house is done.

I understand runners can be a design decision but I’m wondering about safety.
I’ve grown up with wood floors and don’t
Find them slipper but I hold the railing and walk barefoot most of the - But my MIL is suggesting for safety (have a newborn so is worried about people carrying a baby up and down) and 4 year old so we should add a runner. This would be less
Slipper, in addition to adding some style to a boring entry.

Any type of material I should look for - I would likely do a cheaper synthetic to keep cost down. Will a runner be safer to prevent slips? Obviously some materials are better than other - what to avoid and what to look for? Will a runner ruin the wood when installed?

And of course with the curve should I avoid pattern? I would like if I did cover the beautiful stairs it adds some design element too with pattern or at least texture. Suggestions? The walls are BM edgecomb grey - house is transitional with blue elements throughout. Some farm house, but not too ‘rustic’. I do like classic looks.

Photos of the entry added - both the view when you enter the front door, the room to the right of the front door (to the left is a formal dinning room - waiting on furniture but has been ordered - this room
Is mindful grey from SW) and then a look back at the front door entry.

コメント (13)

• PRO
    PL Interior Spaces
    5年前

What a pity to have to cover the beautiful wood on the steps. A runner will add comfort and softness and make it less slippery for people that are wearing socks.

Consider that in the blink of an eye your baby will have the possibility to crawl on those steps, so choose a material that is hypoallergenic (natural or synthetic). Since it is going in a high traffic area, choose something easy to clean.

In the case of colour/pattern, since you already have a curved staircase which is such a nice architectural feature, I would try to add pattern by other means, perhaps a nice wallpaper on the curved wall? It will be more visible at that level. If you do go with a pattern in the runner, choose something simple with a regular repeating pattern.

• Judy Mishkin
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

my back stairs are uncarpeted, my front stairs have a runner. when i slipped on the back stairs, i cracked 2 ribs. when i slipped on the front ones, i had a sore tush for a day or 2. both times i was wearing socks, but i've nearly slipped on the bare stairs with bare feet.

i was holding the handrail when i slipped and cracked my ribs. you only *think* you are holding it. once you start to fall its way too late to tighten your grip enough to hold yourself from falling.

my takeaway from my misadventures is to wear indoor shoes or grippy slippers, and never ever ever socks. ever. never ever. not once.

also, walking down stairs carrying an infant or squirming toddler is terrifying no matter whats on your feet. safe footware, soft landing is key.

• K G
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you both for the comments - obviously safely is important and we live in a Canada so much of the year is cold where people do wear socks. I think I will look into a runner. I rather it have the least likely of slipping even though I know it’s possible either way.
  • K G
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    ninigret- I also am so sorry to hear about your falls! Those sound like a nightmare and the worst to recover from. It’s true that footwear is equally important. Something to start doing when carrying a baby to be extra careful!
  • K G
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Any type of carpet that is best for runners? I generally like a loop looked (Berber) - but I would assume this might be more slippery than an open cut type carpet?
  • PRO
    The Stair Runner Store- StairRunnerStore.com
    5年前

Runner products, referred to as stair runners or roll runners are cut pile and are of woven construction rather than tufted . Cut pile is particularly important if the fiber is wool. StairRunnerStore.com

• Maria Chiarino
    5年前
    Many years ago a friend’s husband slipped down the stairs while carrying their newborn who suffered a concussion. Add the runner and heed the advice of the first pro who responded.
  • silviakunst
    5年前
    I would add a runner if you are older , have small children or dogs that need to get up and down to protect you . My large dog couldn't get up the slippery stairs when we had an emergency upstairs ! For all around protection it's better to have some sort of carpet ( make sure it's secure ) !
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

I have never used this product, but it is less expensive and not permanent.

• m111675
    5年前
    Interesting temporary solution. What is the brand of that? How does it attach to the stairs? Leave marks? Sturdy?
  • mrswaves
    5年前
    Also interested as we are all wood in the house and looking for a runner solution
  • jhmarie
    5年前

I have stair treads like in Judy's pic - different style. We got them so the dogs would not slip and I have not slipped on them either. I did slip several times when they were carpeted. The treads have stayed put for over two years and are held down by a special carpet tape - I bought the one recommended by the company that made the stair treads. I checked the bottom one a year ago and saw no damage from the carpet tape, but it hasn't restuck to the tape well and I need to redo that step. This was a very economical way to go too.

My pics -work in progress: · 詳細

Stair Tread tape:

https://www.amazon.com/Stair-Tread-Installation-Kit-STAIRTREADKIT/dp/B00A2BR8LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542150029&sr=8-1&keywords=stair+tread+tape+colonial+mills