Houzz Logo Print
squair

A large strange void to fill.

squair
5年前
We have bought what was clearly a “man’s house”. My biggest problem is what I call “the void” at the back which opens directly out from the kitchen. He called it a “rumpus” room. It is tiled (), has an enormous kind of bay window, a cut in for perhaps a display unit & a 25 foot long wall of nothingness where the TV will go. I hate it! It even echoes!
What do I put in here?

コメント (9)

• me me
    5年前
    SRemove the vertical drapes and replace with curtains.
  • squair
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you me me. Those verticals are definitely going! I was thinking about Pirouette blinds? That bay window has so many sides though. I also thought about delineating it from the kitchen, but am not sure what to use. That 25 foot wall is a problem. I’m looking at long entertainment units... not as long as the wall of course. I also need some sort of subtle display cabinet. Where we live has made it difficult to get interesting pieces for the house & online shopping is fraught with problems. I’ll post a plan of the room shortly.
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5年前

It is hard to comment without a floorplan, but I must add that it sounds a bits sexist to call it a "Man's house". Lots of men design beautiful, very liveable homes!

I would suggest not putting the TV on the long wall, as all of your seating will be turned away from the window, and the room will be focussed on the TV. If you put the TV adjacent to the bay window then the TV will seem less dominant, and you can use the seating for other functions such as reading a book, oreven looking out the window, instead of huddled around a big black screen.

1960's project home revisited · 詳細

For a long skinny tram-carriage proportioned room it is always best to treat it as two zones, rather than try and furnish it as one. I would start with two large complementary rugs (perhaps matching) to anchor your two zones, and furnish around these as if they are two separate rooms.

1960's project home revisited · 詳細

You will find that with the addition of rugs, soft furnishings and window coverings that the room will echo less. If it is still a problem there are other acoustic measures that you can introduce such as sound-absorbing ceiling panles, which are often used in noisy cafe environements, which most people have never noticed.

Best of luck, and if you need any more help feel free to contact this bloke directly,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• PRO
    User
    5年前
    if your in brisbgane i would be able to assist you. one word of free advicfd, put nothing in the area of where your split system air conditioning box is, you dont want to bring attention to that area.
  • squair
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Dr Retro, my sincerest apologies! I'm no at all unhappy with our home design; it's more that I have never been faced with such a large space to work with. I love your ideas & am very pleased that you responded! :) I may well contact you again. L.
  • squair
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    My Style Interiors, thank you. We aren't near Brisbane, but thanks for your input. Yes, we are repainting that wall in a white/grey for that very reason. We already have the paint in fact, but are still recovering from painting the fuchsia & pink walls he did in our bedroom! Lol
  • scottevie
    5年前

Perhaps a Dual-sided/open style bookcase perpendicular rather than parallel to the long wall? Break up the length without completely obscuring the view. The bay window area could be perfect for a little sitting area filled with indoor plants that will enjoy the natural light.

Maybe some more ideas here: https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/16-clever-ways-to-create-zones-in-open-plan-spaces-stsetivw-vs~27282063

• squair
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Hi scottevie. Thank you for your helpful idea.... I will look at doing that. Lorraine