Houzz Logo Print
houzzuk

Is it Over for Stainless Steel in the Kitchen?

HouzzUK
5年前
最終更新:5年前

Whether it's for worktops, fixtures, sinks or splashbacks, stainless steel has been a go-to material in the kitchen for years. Yet with warmer metal finishes such as gold or copper making an appearance more and more often, we're wondering if our Houzzers still have a feel for steel!

My Houzz: A Classic Midcentury Home Wrapped in Windows · 詳細

Tell us your thoughts in the Comments and vote for your favourite kitchen metal in our poll.

Can't decide? This collection of metallic kitchen buys in every tone might help you choose!

Stainless steel forever!
Gold
Brass
Copper
I'd mix and match several

コメント (23)

• PRO
    Tim Wood Limited
    5年前

I cannot vote. As it is totally up to the individual client and what is best for the given project/home/environment and the client's individual taste. We always start with a brief which comes from asking questions and listening to our clients to give them their dream - not ours.

Depending on the grade and finish of stainless steel it can be very easy to keep clean. Where you have integrated sinks into a stainless steel top with no joints or seems it can be fabulous. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as the client you should have whatever you are passionate about in your home.

• minipie
    5年前

None of the above for me - brushed nickel ❤️

• G Arnold
    5年前
    stainless steel was a pain in the proverbial until we discovered microfibre cloths. once over with a damp one, then finish with a dry one... perfect finish. as a work surface, stainless steel it will scratch though... but I don't mind that.
  • PRO
    Tim Wood Limited
    5年前

All worktops have pros and cons when choosing stainless the type of stainless steel and its finish are vital. Otherwise yes, with the wrong finish or cheap stainless steel top it will be a waste of money and look terrible. Our suppliers are superb and when cleaning, it will not scratch easily at all and it looks superb.

It is a great worktop if you use the very best stainless steel and the right fabricator, otherwise, it can look terrible.

American Black Walnut Kitchen · 詳細

• Danielle H
    5年前

None of the above, I have gone for all matte black!

• PRO
  • PRO
    PWJ Architects Ltd
    5年前

Stainless steel sinks are practical and affordable, whilst providing aesthetic qualities when designed in with the entirety of the kitchen!

• PRO
    Arlington Interiors
    5年前

We think, Gun Metal could potentially be the new Stainless steel.

• PRO
    Yasmin Chopin Interior Design
    5年前

It's hard to avoid stainless steel when designing a kitchen. It has a stylish hygienic appearance and, yes, it can be a pain to keep it shining but it is worth a bit of effort. The microfibre cloths make the job easier.

More metals are available for the kitchen than ever before and my personal choice is to mix it up a bit. Kitchens shouldn't be boring. When designing open plan spaces I design a kitchen so it fits in with the living space.

• Chris Goodchild
    5年前

For durability and value for money stainless is hard to beat, particularly for sinks and drainers. Also a lot of sinks sold as copper are only finished in a copper (or bronze colour so eventually will wear through to the stainless underneath.

Solid copper and bronze sinks are quite expensive but much better than the cheaper copper 'effect' items.

I do however like the look of zinc, copper and bronze in a kitchen.

Copper is excellent because of it's antibacterial properties as much as the great warm look it gives, the same is true of bronze, an advantage of bronze depending on the alloy is that it can be much harder than copper though probably more expensive.

I have used zinc on a few jobs as a splashback for it's looks and colour but think it is too soft to work well as a work surface. The times I have used it, it was matched with a dark hardwood top on one of them and granites on two of them.

• ejfkaiser
    5年前

Depends on the quality. Cheap stainless steel is little better than tinplate and will rust round edges and in corners. I just wish we had the all-in-one worktop, sink and back-splash sections popular in New Zealand.

• Lena
    5年前
    I like steel, gold could be too much and copper - not everyone’s cup of tea.
  • PRO
    GROHE UK
    5年前

Have a look on our various options for bathroom and kitchen. Of course, we are offering stainless steel as well. Get inspired: https://www.grohe.co.uk/en_gb/

• PRO
    Leticia Bagans
    5年前
    i like the novice offing the money for me
  • Norren Bird
    5年前

Small point - stainless steel will NOT rust although it will scratch. Many stylish options now for steel sinks however I would steer clear of coloured steel as another comment suggested. Stainless steel splash backs have been available in the UK for a long time and are very affordable. Most industrial kitchens use steel worktops and these will become more mainstream for domestic kitchens this year. Gorgeous!

• Chris Goodchild
    5年前

It may be worth noting that strong bleach can cause corrosion in stainless steels and in general is not recommended. Also continuous exposure to salt water will begin to corrode stainless. 316 is a stainless that has molybdenum added to help protect it from the chlorine that is in salt and bleach, chlorine can break down the layer of chrome oxide that is normally present on the surface of stainless and makes stainless, stainless. A simple environmentally friendly cleaner for sinks is bicarb and a mild (2.5%) peroxide.

• PRO
    Fisher & Paykel Appliances UK & Ireland
    5年前

We do love stainless steel! :) ..we totally agree with the other comments in regards to microfibre cloths, they work a treat on stainless steel.

• PRO
    User
    5年前
    It’s a definite yes from me! Besides, I saw a lot of brushed stainless steel fixtures and faucets that look quite quirky and antique. I would only say that bulky looking faucets in stainless steel wouldn’t be “the look”, I think everyone produces/chooses more delicate thinner forms.
  • Resistance
    5年前
    absolutely hate stainless steel. for appliances i prefer black or white. for handles etc I'd choose brass or copper. when i do my kitchen i think I'll probably have to go with a lot of zinc in draining board and taps to since there's not a lot of variety available in SA.
  • heatherbroadbent
    5年前
    Gold, copper - just a fad that will date. Happy to use other colours in rooms which are cheap to makeover but not in kitchen or bathrooms which you only change ever 10 years or so.
  • PRO
    company test
    5年前

After Working in multiple Michelin star restaurants I can tell you that it's not over for stainless steel in the kitchen. Yes it's true that from a design point-of-view you can have more appealing materials such as copper, but it also comes at a different cost.

• Ribena Drinker
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

Copper and brass are so faddy. In four years time or so, they'll be out of fashion, whereas stainless steel - which may not be cutting edge in terms of the latest trend - has longevity and a practicality that's hard to beat and is relatively timeless.

That said, the overuse of it or too much stainless steel is not ideal either.