Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_guertin28

Curb appeal assistance!

Hi there,

My husband and I moved into our house June of last year. We wanted to live in the house for at least a year before we started ripping out these random plants, painting the exterior house and other smaller renovations.

1) Any suggestions on what colors to paint shutters, trim/garage door and front door? We are thinking of keeping brick the natural color. Current colors incase you cannot tell in the pictures... shutters: burgundy; trim and front door: cream

2) Any suggestions on landscaping? We have no idea to how to not kill everything in a yard.

2a) we are in Atlanta, Georgia and the whole front yard is unfortunately covered by trees by our neighbors.

2b) We are thinking of taking out the ivy (left bottom corner of picture) but not sure if that would just make our yard a mud pit. Recently grass is not growing in the front yard, but moss and weeds have no problem!

3) Has anyone pitched their roof over front door to make it more of a porch? I love the craftsman style, but not sure how it would look on a ranch with a typical flat roof.

Last fall- when we realized just how many trees our neighbors have! But at least gives you the full view of the front of the house.

Thank you in advance!

コメント (3)

• A Fox
    6年前

I would stay away from things that are Craftsman style. Unless you are planning to remove the shutters and replace your windows and the dentil molding at the top of your brick, your house currently has Colonial Revial features that would not play well with Craftsman. If you do a porch, it would be a better fit with round or simple square columns with molding at top and bottom to accentuate the Colonial features.

Something like this, but not as big:

Front porch · 詳細

As far as colors, I think that offwhite or light color neutrals work best for your trim and windows. If you want to try something different, you might looks at a light gray-green or light taupe. I would transfer the pop of color from your shutters to your front door, which currently is getting a little lost. Red, green, blue...any of these would be great depending on your color preferences. The shutters, since there are so many of them, I would paint a more subdued color, ideally a darker version of your trim color.

• A Fox
    6年前

Oh, I also want to mention that we too have a yard with lots of ivy, and I agree that it can be a pain to keep it under control and in the planting beds. If you take it out, I would look for a similar looking groundcover that isn't as fast growing, because I agree that with your yard, grass is less likely to want to take root in the deep shade (plus I'm always an advocate for less grass and more interesting, lower maintenance, more environmentally friendly plantings in landscapes). Also keep in mind that with some vines you may have to be diligent in getting rid of it, especially if it is rooted in your tree roots, as it will want to just keep coming back).

• PRO
    iTrust Electrical
    5年前

It is hard to suggest colors without knowing your personal taste. The Sherwin Williams color visualizer is a good place to start. We at iTrust Home Services (located in North Fulton, Ga.) offer a free color consult with a certified Sherwin Williams consultant. We offer exterior painting services if you are looking for a professional service. Hope that helps. itrusthomeservices.com

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer#/active

PR