Houzz Logo Print
sarah_mcardle6482

Help with Kitchen & Living room Lighting Plans

Skelpie 5
6年前

Hello all!

So I seem to crop up in here seeking advice on an annual basis on how best to plan the layout for knocking through our kitchen... finally after about 4 years talk, we've agreed the action!

We've shaken things up a bit and instead of filling in doors, or knocking through, we're totally changing the layout - shifting the kitchen into what is currently the living room, the dining area into the living room, and a family room into the dining room. We have the kitchen agreed and I'm now just trying to work out our lighting plans for the room, as (in typically 1960's style) they have one central pendant per room!

I don't want to get this wrong, so I'd LOVE your advice!

Firstly, here is the layout of the new kitchen:

*The window wall on the right is west facing - great light in the afternoons.

*The sink corner we have been debating putting a sun pipe in too.

*We have a Philips Hue system so would like all our new kitchen lighting to be able to hook up to it.

At the moment, all I'm sure of is that I'd like 3 dimmable pendants over the dining table, plus some LED spots, and LED strips under our 'levitating' worktop and wall lockers. There will be a bulkhead over the hob for the extractor so I've noted a couple of LED's there, one (or 2) near the larders and one in the work area.

Secondly, if you go through the 'arch' in the top of the drawing above you come to the new lounge area (this is the family area - we have a more formal lounge elsewhere):

All I've decided I'd like in this area is mains LED lighting in the built in shelving we're having created in the partition wall on the right. I considered a pendant over the couch, but I have no idea! There will likely be some lighting within the TV wall. Again the window is west facing.

Can you guys help me move the lighting in these two rooms into the 21st Century? What lighting would you put and where? I genuinely have no idea where to start!

THANKS in advance. :)

コメント (7)

• Fran H
    6年前
    I’m not sure you have the best kitchen layout for your space. The larders seem disjointed from the kitchen. Would you consider adding measurements to your plan as houzzers may well come up with something you haven’t considered.
  • Skelpie 5
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I am loving that John Cullen site - thank you!

We've spent a long time getting to where we are with the kitchen plan, (and love the design we have) but have a couple of weeks until it's set in stone, so if you have recommendations on layout do let me know!

Kitchen Dimensions:

Back wall to glass doors: 5m

Alcove to arch: 3.55m

Chimney Breast: .3m deep x 1.5m wide (middle of the wall.

Thank you!

• Jonathan
    6年前
    I am with the other contributors and think that the flow of the kitchen is compromised by the peninsula and I am not sure that there is room for everything you are trying to include. I think that there are lots of ways this can be laid out and be sociable and cool and be easy to work in too. I think you need to visit an independent kitchen showroom for more inspiration and design advice.
    As far as lighting goes I think that all of your ideas are about directly lighting a space which of course you need in the kitchen to work but I think that sometimes lighting a wall with an angled spot or shelf lighting, or spots in the floor to wash the wall is kinder to the eyes when you are trying to relax and in my opinion makes a room look more sophisticated.
  • PRO
    Bayswater Interiors
    6年前
    Another thought on layout is the attached - excuse the rough annotation to your diagram but I haven’t got time to do a proper drawing, and I just wanted to give you food for thought.

You could still incorporate a bar area and keep the larders if needed but you would have easier access to all elements when cooking.
  • Resh
    6年前

Great advice from others on layout - think carefully about the flow when using the kitchen. Getting to stuff you need whilst cooking, through people or obstacles (or both) gets old pretty quickly.

On lighting, layering is everything. Think task, ambient and decorative. We have pendants that are decorative and work functionally over the table (x2) and island (x1). However, the outer edges of dining area and cooking area have LED spots that shine down onto work surfaces when in use. We also have wall mounted lights that directly illuminate individual worktops when switched on. These also serve as great ambient lighting when you have the spotlights off. I have also wired hidden LED strip lighting above tall wall cabinets, to provide dimmable, colourable light to bounce off and highlight the ornate cornices in the room.

This means that you have lots of different lights doing different things - which also means you can get great combinations. We too use Hue, but only on the LED strip and pendants. It's enough for decent control and cheesy colour when the mood takes us.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    6年前
    Cheesy colour!!! Brilliant Resh !