Houzz Logo Print
riendeauhome

I have an 80s ranch I am trying to update....

We have an 80s ranch we are trying to update the exterior. I am stumped! We have rock that is brown, red brick and a pasty tan color on the siding. Any ideas? I thought of adding cedar shutters stained darker and maybe a cedar truss over the stone. The brick is all the way around the house and there are steps front and back so, painting it is not necessarily the best option. Thanks in advance for your help and ideas!

コメント (20)

• tc_kellygirl
    6年前
    You have a handsome house — I hope some clever people chime in with ideas for your “update”
  • ispeakwhale
    6年前
    So much potential with your house!
    I envision Romablio Paint in a warm white on the brick, new wider cedar shutters, black door, landscaping.
  • ispeakwhale
    6年前
    Paint the siding the same color as brick to visually add height.
  • Ednamaee
    6年前

Second vote removal of hedge, long rectangular hedges date the house.

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6年前

Third vote removal of hedge, and please do not paint your brick. I would remove the shutters the windows are to big for them. I honestly think your house looks perfectly fine on the outside besides that, just needs some new landscaping.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6年前

Do not paint the brick . Get rid of those poorly sized shutters . I am not seeing the stone , remove the overgrown hedge in fact all the overgrown plantings.I would paint the siding a nice soft gray/ green and the garage door . Then landscaping.

• Bette P
    6年前

Don't paint the brick. Add better photos including a close up of the brick so we can help you with this. Shutters gotta go. Hedge gotta go. I'd remove the stone if it was my house, brick and stone do not go together. Is the roof grey or grey/warm something?

• Lesley Riendeau
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

The stone is the brownish colored material at the top of the triangle. I think it was added later. I'll get some better pictures up since it is sunny now!

• Dan-Sumer Symonds
    6年前

YES! Start with tearing out that hedge and landscaping first!

• jbtanyderi
    6年前
    Put clapboard on the gable. Either enlarge the shutters or remove them and put clapboard in the space between the windows.
  • PRO
    Bonhambuilt International Design
    6年前

Remove the hedge agreed trim otherlandscaping back. Add a barge board at brick and stone change. Get rid of the shutters, paint siding and facia a light color grey to white, paint the windows a dark bronze. Finally add a gable truss proportionately scaled and stain dark.

• PRO
    CV & Associates, LLC
    6年前

Handsome home but the huge gabled roof makes it top heavy. Go with a light color on facade, unifying the brick and stone.

• PRO
    Total Home
    6年前

Hello,

I don't actually mind the colour of the shutters, I like the black, it does help to update the look somewhat. Perhaps changing the shutter style to something a bit more sleek and linear.

It seems to me that every house with red brick has beige - the reason is mainly, because beige will neutralize stronger colours. I would consider however doing something a bit more bold with your design plan. If painting the brick is not an option. then perhaps consider choosing a medium to dark oak stain, something a bit darker in the triangle area, and siding.

Black as a general rule, is very sophisticated and in my opinion tends to update everything it touches, so consider painting the facia on the triangle black to tie in with the shutters. Doing this will also tie in the shutters and add a punch to the architecture and give it some contrast and dimension.

I do agree with removing the hedges. I like the idea of some trees and landscaping. If you choose an interlock, this will add some design style to the outdoor space.

Best,

Cindy

• apple_pie_order
    6年前

Bigger photos?

• Lesley Riendeau
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Here are some new pix. I couldn't figure out how to edit so, I did do a new post too with bigger pix on design dilemma site.

• Janette Price
    6年前

I actually love it the way it is - vote to remove the hedges and add a little color with landscaping.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6年前

Remove the shutters, stain/paint the siding dark gray & darken the stone at the entrance.

• ispeakwhale
    6年前
    now that I see the bigger pix I like it the way it is except for the shutter. I live shutters, but yours are too skinny for the windows. either get wider ones or nice them all together. just focus on the landscaping. Nice house!!

also, I'm still for painting/limewashing the brick but it's nice the way it is.
  • ispeakwhale
    6年前
    and maybe, paint the siding/trim a taupe/warm gray instead of the tan. ;)