Houzz Logo Print
pachacon

I really want to paint my bedroom a dark teal... Need help..

paula
6年前

Hello,

So I initially I was thinking a dark gray but I came across some beautiful dark teal colors. And I really want a dark, dramatic color for my bedroom. It is west facing and gets pretty good light. The furniture will stay. I really like these curtains (below) I can paint the lamp bases gold or silver or maybe a pearly white, I want to add art or gold framed wall decor. Please help with any suggestions on everything and on dark teal paint colors and if you have pictures of your own dark teal bedrooms please share!

The dark teal painted swatch in my picture below is from Ocean Abyss from Behr...

コメント (63)

• paulaさんはeverdebzさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6年前

yes, do the wall behind the bed first. you may just want to stop w/that one

this is one of my favorites

this color says it's Hague Blue by farrow and ball.

can you scrape your popcorn ceiling? do a nice white ceiling and a light fixture like so?

If not, what about covering it w/some wood to match your headboard? you can get some wood flooring and nail it up there. this is an exaggeration of size, but it would show you the color and give u an idea how it would look. would look great w/that teal color!

BM Dark Harbor

Valspar "Velvet Curtains" is another nice one.

make sure the teal is a deep saturated tone or else it can look a little juvenile.

bring in vintage walnut furniture
    Benjamin Moore Galapagos Turquoise

paulaさんはBeth H. :さんにお礼を言いました
  • everdebz
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

I 'fear' that the headboard will look heavy and masculine with similar depth behind it - there I said it... then the contrasting nice ivory chairs on other hand.

I love the teal examples with metallic bed!

paulaさんはeverdebzさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6年前

IMO new bedding is where you start not a new wall color. I think teal can be a very juvenile color if not chosen wisely I like Hague blue but fear it is a little dark with that headboard.

paulaさんはPatricia Colwell Consultingさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6年前

Come up with a master plan before you begin painting. Your room needs new bedding, nightstands, chair and window treatments. I might have all those selections made before I pick up a paint roller

paulaさんはBeverlyFLADezinerさんにお礼を言いました
  • teamaltese
    6年前
    I wouldn’t worry about it being too dark. After all, all bedrooms are dark when you’re asleep.
    paulaさんはteamalteseさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

I painted the wall behind my bed in my own bedroom a dark, marine teal and it looks awesome. I used Benjamin Moore's Teal Ocean, #2049-30. Apologies for the non-professional photo, but you'll get the idea. Also went with a teal, overdyed area rug. Love it!

paulaさんはSabrina Alfin Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • jbtanyderi
    6年前
    The art on the headboard wall is all too small: it can’t stand up to the headboard.
    paulaさんはjbtanyderiさんにお礼を言いました
  • lhutch13
    6年前
    My kitchen is dark teal. I like the color. Disregard kid and cookies.
    paulaさんはlhutch13さんにお礼を言いました
  • love2browse
    6年前
    So jealous! Teal is my favorite color, but I have a husband who has an opinion
  • havingfun
    6年前

thats what happens given rights

• paula
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

UPDATE: First thank you all for your advice. I purchased these Burnished Hematite faux silk curtains. I am not sure how I feel about them yet... I do like the way they feel but I think I should have gone lighter... But I am stuck now so... Don't mind the right side, I was just seeing how it looked with the blinds open...

I am going to have to make it work with the nightstands. I can paint the lamps. I might be able to get a new headboard... But this one is only 2 years old... The chair can go, it was just the glider I got when my 8 yo was a baby... It was never meant to be a fashion element in my bedroom.

I can definitely get new bedding.

I still really want to go dark teal for paint... I want a dark, dramatic bedroom. Its just for me. No husband to argue about that with lol

I have tested

BEHR Ocean Abyss and Mystic Turquoise

BM Tropical Teal, Oasis Blue and North Sea Green

Depending on my mood, I lean towards Ocean Abyss, Mystic Turquoise, and Tropical Teal...

But there are so many other colors I can try out... lol

• paula
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

oh and the art is definitely too small... I like this example from Beverly... all the smaller framed peices together.

• decoenthusiaste
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

My walls are charcoal (Valspar Urban Pulse) and my drapes bronze with a pattern in olive, charcoal and deep rose. I can appreciate your desire for a rich, dark bedroom. I never was one to sleep in late, but I do now! It will be very much a cocoon.

paulaさんはdecoenthusiasteさんにお礼を言いました
  • havingfun
    5年前

deco, would love to see a pic if you get the chance, sounds great. i just got a cool pillow a couple weeks ago. have not found any homes yet.

Throw Pillows Page 13 | Bellacor · 詳細

paula, although same framed artwork can look very nice, i think those might be too light to hold their ground in your room.i am also not sure of white offsets that might be too light? as far as the color teal, i would select the range, decorate the room and then pick the paint that matches the best.

• Irene Morresey
    5年前
    Some inspiration the deep teal will look great with your curtains
    paulaさんはIrene Morreseyさんにお礼を言いました
  • cpaul1
    5年前

I get wanting a dark, dramatic bedroom, but you are going to need someone with some decorating sense to help you. You are not going to be able to get there on your own.

paulaさんはcpaul1さんにお礼を言いました
  • paula
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Yes indeed cpaul1! That is why I am here! Everyone on here is great with that. It may have to come together slowly but surely...

I love those examples Irene! WOW!

• paula
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Here are more pics of the room.... please ignore the total disaster here. I am trying to clean out all the closets and organize everything all at once... The TV will be mounted to the wall... that thing behind the TV will be gone. Lamp can go... I would like a new chair and side table/junk organizer that is currently sitting under the paint samples. I sit there and do part of my get ready routine (lotion up and brush hair) So Id like for it have some selves or drawers to keep some stuff close at hand for that and I keep other junk there as well too.

So mainly Id like to see if anyone can give me ideas on working with the curtains, headboard, and nightstands/bookcase? Everything else I can replace. In a few years I would like to replace the headboard but unfortunately for now I need to stick with it... I am on a tight budget.

The black mirror on the wall Id like to paint. Gold maybe? With a teal background!! OMG! That would be sooo pretty! Or white? Or silver? Oh man do I need help...

Probably replace the mini blinds as well. Not sure with what?

I definitely need to scrape the popcorn ceiling too... and I love this

or this one. Having fun, but this white works with the dark wall?

• tqtqtbw
    5年前

What did you chose for bedding?

707 Willow Ave · 詳細

Moody Bedroom · 詳細
    BW Dark Harbour. in eggshell

paulaさんはtqtqtbwさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5年前
    I wouldn’t do eggshell finish unless your walls ate really smooth. Every flaw shows up. I do love the dark teals but i am pretty sure i would tire of that much saturated color in a bedroom. Maybe do just the wall behind the headboard and see how that feels. I think the “matte” finish might be cool for bedroom. It is soft kind if suede look.
    paulaさんはFlo Manganさんにお礼を言いました
  • paula
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

tqtqtbw, I have not picked bedding yet... the pictures have different bedding because I shop from my stash lol. I just switch stuff around in my house.

Flo, yes I think I will like the matte finish. I am going to do that.

• hollybar
    5年前

Put a latex deep base primer on the walls. This will make your colour grab,last, and cover much better.

paulaさんはhollybarさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5年前
    @hollybar, yes, do have paint store prepare proper primer. It will look weird to you. But is very important with saturated colors so you get the True Tone with least number of coats of paint. Also, leave plenty of time to allow sufficient drying before a second coat. It has more pigment than light colors and that requires almost a curing type process. Looking forward to seeing the end result!
  • paula
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

These are some of my design/color inspirations. There were a few that you all sent me that I did already have in my pinterest board...

• paula
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

okay well its not letting me add pictures... weird...

• paula
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Love this!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5年前
    Paula, that is gorgeous!!
  • mrspepper
    5年前
    okay, just a warning, I read your entire thread and I've got an e-book response . Here goes ..... I recently had the same urge. And I followed it! It's a difficult road to choose your paint first but sometimes you just have to follow your heart. My husband painted our headboard wall ocean Abyss with Behr Paint and Zinsser 123 primer. I don't recommend Behr primer. He primered and then used 2 coats of eggshell and it looks incredible. We chose a large piece of art to put above our bed, when it arrives I will send a picture. I looked at those same light-colored drapes that you posted earlier in the feed. I have ordered a bunch of different light neutrals / colors of velvet drapes. I'm going to add those to my currently super super light pink walls and then decide on which color of drapes and whether that would look good with Moore dark teal paint or my current light pink.

I would rather paint my whole room teal just because I feel like it) & then add double wide drapes if want to revert back to a lighter color.

I decided to spend a lot of money on my curtains and then use HomeGoods, Ikea, Amazon, Marshalls, Home Depot (which by the way sells everything online that Amazon does and you can return it to the HD store) to fill in anything extra I need. I recommend you do the same thing. IKEA maybe all you need for drapes since you have those brown ones. I would add a set of white or cream sheers between the brown ones, maybe even dark teal ones on the outside so that the whole wall is window and drapes. This will give you a very full and luxurious look and it will add much-needed texture and color to your room.

That will free you up to paint the rest of the room teal if you choose to. Use Craigslist, Ikea, Amazon, go to thrift stores, go to yard sales, seriously Furniture doesn't cost anything anymore if you're willing to look around. you can get an upholstered headboard like the one you have for about $100 in any color online. you can go to Marshalls and buy a beautiful bedspread to lay over top of whatever you currently use. Home Goods has gorgeous down throw pillows and you're ready to go.

focus on what you have and what you're able to spend and ignore everything else.

for art, I always start with family photos first . Also, if you go to upsplash.com you can download and print beautiful poster size photographs from all over the world that will instantly give you whatever look it is you're looking for. If you find that the room needs even more white or light color, frame an enlargement of a beautiful scenery in a huge frame with a white mat. The photographers on that website are incredibly talented and generous. They allow people to use their art for free for personal use, in high-def. the frames are the most expensive part of it, so make sure you go to Ikea and buy the sizes you want to go up on your wall first. I have made this mistake, printing out large posters first and then realizing that the frame cost 10 times the amount of printing.

decorating your own bedroom for yourself and your own enjoyment is kind of like painting your nails. Yes you can buff them out perfectly first or you can just slap some color on and enjoy your life!

it's only paint. You can always use a tinted primer ( tinted your new color) to primer and then repaint. or add more curtains around that vanity area you talked about adding.

if you're scared, paint one wall at a time and paint the rest white, live with your new linens and headboard (which should) cost under $200 total.... until you decide what other wall color you want. PS Benjamin Moore Dark Harbor and Galapagos turquoise are nearly identical to Ocean Abyss. use the best painting supplies, it makes more difference than the paint. I know I'm going to get so much hate for saying that. But contractors get Kickbacks for using Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore ( unless you're using gloss or high-gloss colors, that's the only time it would make a difference and Home Depot's ability to color match). There I said it. let the haters come at me.

last but not least, you are committing to a high pigment paint so take the actual sample pot back with you to Home Depot, this is the only way to ensure that you will get the exact same paint on your walls that you got when you sampled it. yes these types of Mix-Ups occur depending who mixed the paint. It's the only way to get what you paid for. have fun! ... images are courtesy of UPsplash.com
  • Kate
    5年前
    I think the dark could work, however dark rooms need to be clutter free and tidy or it can just close in on you and quickly become depressing.
  • PRO
    TM Holdings llc.
    5年前

I have a Teal "Hawaiian-themed" bathroom that I love. White trim and ceiling. Brushed nickel modern faucets, lamp and hardware, light maple vanity with white counter top, rattan framed prints. Everything fits so well. Do what you love and good luck with your project.

• User
    5年前

It is a bedroom.....dark is good especially if you have trouble sleeping. The color you want reminds me of the sea, something that soothes me. Go for it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5年前

Paula - have you made any decisions? I am excited about you doing something different and wonderful. How can we help at this stage?

• love2browse
    5年前

FYI the site is actually unsplash.com not upsplash.com. as stated in the above comment.

• mrspepper
    5年前
    , thank you love2browse. I meant to put the photographers names up there too. good intentions right?

PS Paula your headboard seems to match the brown drapes, no?
  • mrspepper
    5年前
    Paula, since we are on the same path I found this Moody room that brings together a lot of the things I mentioned to balance dark and Light... http://www.thegoldhive.com/blog/2017/5/11/one-room-challenge-week-6-the-moody-room-reveal
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5年前

@mrsperino - I love that room in the link you posted. So many great ideas. thanks!

• Sasha
    5年前

I think such a dark bedroom - brown curtains & teal walls - would make me feel claustrophobic and depressed. It works in this pic you added because there is so much white and gold to brighten it.

• Sasha
    5年前

sorry this is the pic i reffered to

• silviakunst
    5年前
    Your headboard and your furniture and your art work will not go with the teal ...I would rethink the color or buy all new .....and start over !
  • havingfun
    5年前

perfect art for a teal wall! lol

Animal and bird paintings | Artfinder · 詳細

Bedroom - Paint Color Selector - The Home Depot · 詳細

2014 California Shutters Shoot · 詳細

Would You Live Here? Designer Series part 3 · 詳細
    a few examples

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5年前
    Paula. Any progress? Or have we scared you off? Hope you are ok?
  • katinparadise
    5年前

following

• cjohnston
    5年前
    This cozy room is painted BM's Crisp Romaine

Traditional Bedroom · 詳細
  • Kim Gerry
    2年前

I know I am late to the game for this thread but I am hoping in the next month to post a pic of my personal interpretation of dark teal in a bedroom. I only plan on one wall but I am using it for all the walls in your bathroom. i have a dark teal chair from the 60s that I have to get a slip cover for because my cats a jerk. I have a gold bed spread that I am keeping and plan to do velvet floor to ceiling curtains in gold. I also plan to do a large scale botanical mural using a gold posca pen on a wall in my bathroom. if it works I will carry that through to my bedroom. My room is small and storage limited so instead of nightstands I am going to do ladder bookcases that have a drawer.I also found some sea foam velvet I plan yo use for a headboard

• Melissa Winn
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

i have a dark teal room, or rather it's been about 60% dark teal, for almost three years. my bedroom door is jammed against the corner in the room and the teal goes from that corner along the side wall, across the wall behind my headboard, 1/3 of the way down the third wall to where there is a bay window and also for the 10" of wall that continues between the windows and ceiling. Most of that third wall is windows, so the teal goes around the part that is not against the windows. the fourth wall that the room door rests in is still white. i was concerned all dark teal would make the room feel like a cave. the white wall also has a narrow closet door just 4" from the room door, so i think of that as the doors wall. i've thought about painting a mural with tree branches along the doors wall and discarded the idea of using a light tint of the dark teal for this wall or the area around the windows. i think a pale tint of this color would be odd and distracting.

i sit facing the teal wall opposite the windows and the dark color just sort of wraps around me on three sides. i feel instantly tranquil when i come into this room, even tho it is a disaster of clutter and disorganization and is only about 10' square. the color really soothes me. It's a color I've picked over and over for sheets, so i was pretty confident in my choice. i actually took a sheet to home depot to have color matched, but matching fabric doesn't work so great. the color came out quite a bit darker than the sheets, but i am sure i like it even better that way.

Note for Kim: i don't know about your cat, but my dog and my previous dogs with pretty short hair have all shed so much that i ban velvet/suede/chenille from the house. any soft or fuzzy texture is like hair velcro. best!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2年前

Start a new thread. Don't tag onto one that is 5 years old. And reconsider teal for the walls. There are so many better ways to incorporate teal into a room that is less permanent.

• everdebz
    2年前

I like an unusual thread. Paula was active a year ago.. might get a notice.

Any new photos, Paula?

With brown shades and headboard, I think there would've been a balance... added bedding/ accessories.

• Jennifer Erickson
    昨年

Paulllllla? 🤨