Houzz Logo Print
ramandeepsuri

Different ceiling heights - yes, no, but if?

Hi all, we seek your views, suggestions for our new rear and side extension. The issue is - whether we should have different ceiling heights or we should have the same ceiling height throughout. I love high ceilings but because of planning rules we cannot have high ceiling throughout. So, option 1 - To have ceiling heights as shown in the pic (ceiling height of 2.4m for a part, sloping ceiling height from 3m to 2.8m and the remaining are will have 2.8m height); option 2 - have one consistent ceiling height of 2. throughout.

I love the idea of high ceilings but not entirely comfortable with different ceiling heights. I am seeking your advice on (a) which option you think is better? (b) how can we make different ceiling heights blend in one large extension ? (c) are there any pics of different ceiling heights of the dimensions similar to ours (10m wide and 8m deep)?

Thanks for your help.

コメント (8)

• PRO
    Duke of Design
    6年前

Bryanston square · 詳細

Bryanston square · 詳細
    Variable ceiling heights can most definitely work ! With the correct layout and lighting design, it can add immense character to your interior. See these images with 200mm height variation in the living + dining room! If you want to have high ceilings, we can make it happen for you.

• R countryside
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    thanks for your advice. ours ceiling heights differences are more than 200mm. Any pics you can share for our scenario, that would help a lot. thanks once again.
  • PRO
    Duke of Design
    6年前

Im sorry but i don't have a picture of a 500mm ceiling difference. I shared the image to show what look you could achieve.

• Jonathan
    6年前
    If you have different heights this helps add interest and also helps suggest different room areas even if it is one big room. There are also benefits of taller roofs for letting in more light.
    I would have the different heights but just consider carefully where you intend to have furniture and any ceiling pendants so it all looks like it has been considered.
  • PRO
    Dennis Sharp Architects
    6年前

As you can see from the images ceiling heights are about space, daylight and proportion. They can frame a view. Frank Lloyd Wright used low ceiling heights to give a sense of horizontallity in his Prairie houses. So this is not about height - it is about something more fundamental!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Hello R countryside,

One way to view the idea of differing heights re the ceiling is to approach this from an entirely different angle... Rather than consider the heights of the ceilings and worry about them. Instead focus on the decor height of the internal walls.. Ie where you paint or paper up to. Or consider floor and walls together to create a feeling of space.

Another way to create a seamless and coherent look within the extension is to decorate with the same palette throughout... It doesn't have to be magnolia... It could be any colour either dramatic or more muted.. Consider too the possibility that you keep the palette the same from walls to ceiling.. Several visual examples for you to look at for inspiration too to compliment what I am suggesting here.

One of my favourites is to colour block, and this can be another way to add a dramatic decor that you can taper off to the desired height and keep above to a single colour or not... :))

A period property but you can clearly see how the colour can swiftly dictate an eye level, and above picture rail height the cornice and ceiling is treated as one. Of course you don't need skirting, dado, picture rails to paint these. It is an old but a favoured decorating technique, that is surprisingly versatile... Here I would have painted the skirting either the same or a shade up or down depending on the flooring.. So you can dictate how the eye sees the rooms by deciding the heights (ie the wall decor) so to speak..

Here's the same principle but at dado height... (for some reason they're all dark which I love but they can be a palette you love..

Or be bold with a colour and do everything one colour with a shade darker on the ceiling.. This will reduce the height. The same could be applied to 1 colour in entirety. Then you add interest and texture with everything else! Furniture, lighting, placement, collections.. the possibilities are endless... 1 colour need not be boring.

It then relies on texture the air of intrigue in your furnishings and lighting.. Also consider the heights of lighting.. Pendants or clustered lighting can be low and offer a dramatic statement over a table or a side table for example. Or a favourite reading chair....

Steer clear from ceiling acne ( my term for spot lighting) instead look to floor lights, wall lighting which can have an upwards illumination but of a more diffused and interesting appearance overall... For a softer glow..

Colour blocking is really fantastic you can be creative and still continue a theme throughout... The variations are really endless and can be considered on the flooring as well for wood floors... :))

• R countryside
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    wonderful ideas. really appreciate your thoughts. not concerned about different heights. ... have told the builder.. go for it, mate.