Houzz Logo Print
kmschaefer628

Which fireplace design? Need to know today!

Trying to decide between these two designs. In the first design, we'd store firewood in the opening beneath the hearth. And wood mantel would be approx 8' 6" long.
In the second design, firewood would go in the openings on either side of the fireplace opening. Wood mantel approx 6' long. I'll post pics in comments of our inspiration for each. Please help!

コメント (24)

• kmschaefer628
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    First design's inspiration:
  • kmschaefer628
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    One source of inspiration for second design:
  • kmschaefer628
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Planning on (possibly white) stucco face with wood mantel and either concrete or some sort of simple stone slab for hearth. But unsure of details at this point.
  • jck910
    6年前

• indomom
    6年前

I prefer #1 as well. Cleaner look.

• User
    6年前

I like the bottom one. lol. Sorry, but both would look fine, so look at ur choice n make a decision based on which one you chose first. :). Good luck.

• CLC
    6年前

Either will look lovely, but I prefer the second one. The fireplace feels more substantial in 2.

• kmschaefer628
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Great thank you! I prefer #1 too.

Does it look okay with the hearth extending past the fireplace face? Currently extends ~15" past on either side.

Also, should mantel end at fireplace face as is, or extend past like the hearth, or be shorter width-wise than the fireplace face?
  • ciaraceasg
    6年前
    Hi, I feel you....doing the same as we speak. I like the top design. I feel like there's more integrity in the continuous line of the fireplace itself. The second fireplace, if going to be larger at the base, should then have its chimney behind (flush with) the wall. I mean to say chose either a vertical situation or the horizontal one, but combining both looks awkward. Good luck!
  • kmschaefer628
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Just saw the rest of the comments, thanks everyone! I originally loved #2 but the thought of the long mantel and super wide base was becoming overwhelming.

Cosa Belle: that was extremely helpful. I'm convinced now we want #1. And we're going for more contemporary, minimal than traditional. Thanks so much for this breakdown!

ciaraceasg, that makes sense and is something I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks for the input!
  • PRO
    Cosa Belle Interiors
    6年前

Glad we could help! Post pictures when you are finished. We would love to see the end result!

• smitrovich
    6年前

Another vote for #1.

• simstress
    6年前
    First option. Love the hearth extending beyond the sides.
  • kmschaefer628
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Cosa Belle I will! It'll be awhile yet but I'll be excited to share the final outcome. One last question if you could, my husband now thinks everything underneath the hearth should be flush with the hearth's edge. I attached a pic (I'll call it design #3).

Simstress I really liked the floating look of the hearth too, so we're torn.

Anyone willing to weigh in on this? Original #1 design or the new #3?
  • smitrovich
    6年前

I prefer your original concept in design #1. The simple design is much more modern and contemporary.

• groveraxle
    6年前

I like design #4.

• K Laurence
    6年前

• PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    6年前

Don't forget the issue of the bugs that come with firewood. Putting it through a de bugging procedure is a necessary evil if your not burning it quickly. I tend to design a through the wall storage bin with sealable doors on both side. Note: the exterior door has a lock.

• PRO
    HX Home Solutions and North Star Stone
    6年前

Did you end up deciding? Would love to see which one you chose!

• kmschaefer628
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Custom home planning, our contractor suggested this. I love the idea and it sounds very functional, but I love the look of the wood as an accent enough that I'm willing to go through the extra work. Your comment inspired me to do some research though to confirm so thank you!

Groveraxle I've been toying with the idea of extending the mantle, or making it more narrow to be not as wide as the face. I like your draft and how the mantle and hearth sort of mimic each other.

North Star I'll be sure to update when we decide! Hopefully at the end of the day.

I sooo appreciate all the input everyone, thank you all!
  • kmschaefer628
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Just an update, we ended up going with a design #5 as pictures. Turned out an 8ft hearth was too long for the space. The face beneath the hearth will be brought out flush with the hearth front, which was a compromise but I think it will fit better in the space than the alternative and serve its function well. Wood will be stored beneath hearth. Now to decide on stucco color (white or a warm greige?) and hearth-top material (tile or stained concrete?). Thanks again for the help!
  • jonio
    6年前
    I agree with Custom Home! Bugs/ spiders hide everywhere in firewood! I would never have firewood sitting inside my house, or a large pile stacked next to the house at any time! (Rule is only what we will burn in an evening sits outside the door.). Ornamental birch logs are another story.
  • kmschaefer628
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I read that one can dry out wood in a plastic bag for a couple weeks and/or bake it at a low heat to kill off any critters before storing it inside. So I may use the space beneath the hearth mostly for ornamental firewood, and store raw cut wood outside which we would use first. And only use the wood beneath if we don't have other wood prepared. But yes I will of course treat any wood intended to be stored inside.