Houzz Logo Print
marcia_sullivan

Pinch Pleat Questions

Hello, I am having a mom and pop alterations shop make my pinch pleat cafe curtains. They want me to tell them how many pleats or the distance between the pleats. I'm just using one panel. How do I calculate that? Thank you!

コメント (15)

• Chessie
    6年前

I would use triple pleats. Here is a guide to help with the calculations.

https://www.sew-helpful.com/curtain-lined-triple-pleat-step2.php

• Marcia Sullivan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I think the simpler pleat would be less expensive though? This is the pleat I was thinking of -
  • Marcia Sullivan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Wait a second! Are we talking about the same kind of pleat? Getting confused!
  • Marcia Sullivan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Hello, thank you for the information and comments. My window is 80". Actually there are three windows, two small flanking a center window. I've received a quote for $210 and $2 per ring, 22 rings. Sounds like 22 pleats. That's with me providing the fabric and lining. I would appreciate comments on the price. Thanks!
  • Chessie
    6年前

Yes Marcia Sullivan, what you are looking at IS a triple pleat. :-)

• Marcia Sullivan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6年前

I suggest you post a photo of the window(s)…Cafe curtains may not be your only solution.

• PRO
    Z Interior Decorations Inc.
    6年前

Marcia, the price is very much in line for a custom sewn 8o" wide window. Window treatment pricing is generally driven more by width than it is length.

• Marcia Sullivan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you for the confirmation about the price!

Judy I actually have another thread about the type of window treatment going!
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    6年前

Marcia- you said you are using one panel. I take this to mean that you are using one on each side of the window and I assume each panel is a standard 54" wide. That will yield roughly 30" finished panels for a total of 60 inches.

This is fine if these are decorative/ non functioning drapery. I just want to bring this to your attention should you be expecting these to function. Otherwise, you need more fabric per panel.

FYI- From the 54 inches, you deduct 4 inches (2 on each side of the panel) for side hem. Some use more allowance for hems. From your remaining 50" the gathering of the pleats will reduce the finished width depending on the number of pleats and style of pleat. Pinch pleats consume the least amount of gathering, so you have that in your favor.

Lastly, $220 is below average for fabrication. A quality drapery workroom is worth the money for their experience, knowledge, and first rate work. They would have worked with you to determine the best specs for your project, instead of asking you.

• Marcia Sullivan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Hi, actually I plan to do one 80" panel, across three windows that we wouldn't open. The regular size middle window has a smaller window on each side. I thought three was too busy and two would be odd to come together in the middle of the regular size window. Will this be a weird setup?
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    6年前

I would never (ready for the pun) hem myself in to having drapery that wouldn't open. And if you did decide to open them to one side, you'd have a consider stack back which would be off center to any of your three windows.

You're over thinking this. It is absolutely fine and expected to have a center split. Even with your window configuration.

I will reiterate my earlier point, but since you didn't address it, I will assume you are okay. With an 80" finished width, you need to start with about 140" of fabric. That will come from three cuts of standard 54" rolls with the cuts matched and sewn.

• Porter Edun
    6年前

• Marcia Sullivan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate your responses!