Houzz Logo Print
patrick_ritchie

Looking for wall art ideas

Patrick Ritchie
6年前
最終更新:6年前

I'm looking for wall art ideas (layouts and sizes) mostly but open to other advice. Also, looking for places online to buy art at all price levels.

First pic - living room (excuse the pillow mess). About 114 inches across or so, ceilings are 9 feet.

Second pic - living room. 59 inch

Third pic - wall next to front door in foyer. I have a few silver / gray frames in this general area already. Also, already have a mirror on other side and a little table (in foyer). 59 inches

コメント (49)

• shwshw
    6年前

Original art for sale at all price ranges: https://www.saatchiart.com

• shwshw
    6年前

Contemporary artists: http://www.thejealouscurator.com

• kcccrn *
    6年前
    Etsy.com
  • Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thanks everyone. I am more looking for ideas from people with. Good design sense than websites. Websites are appreciated, though.
  • Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    More specifically, can you recommend a layout based on sizes, etc? Even thought about 2 shelves with frames over couch.
  • P Banos
    6年前

I almost always prefer single large item, especially if its a focal point, like over the LR sofa. I don't tend to stand close to the sofa to look at a collection. I want the LR art to look great from the furthest place in the room.

Traditional Living Room · 詳細

Also think the bureau would look better if you removed everything from the top. Then a taller lamp and find your artwork. Any items displayed on top, I'd want to be larger to fit the scale of the area with those large windows. I'd move the framed photos into a smaller more personal area - bedroom or office?

A "gallery" of smaller items works better in a place where you can get close, like in a hallway.

Can you post photos of the full rooms?

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thx. I will post later. What do you mean remove the "bureau"? What is that ? What would a good height lamp and good dimension for art over couch ?
  • PRO
    M&D Photography
    6年前

We have a wide variety of photography and art available at http://mndphoto.com Use discount code SERTTY

• P Banos
    6年前

I mean the brown cabinet between the windows. I would clear the top and start over with a taller lamp. I'd begin with lamps 25 to 35 inches tall for a living room.

Can you measure the wall behind the sofa for us?

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

114 inches from end to end

• P Banos
    6年前

I've got to go, but will look again tonite!

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    6年前

Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop -

https://www.houzz.com/pro/poochoudhary/__public

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooviArtGallery

****CUSTOM SIZE AVAILABLE ****

• P Banos
    6年前

I'd say no less than 45 inches, and no more than 75. If you tape out a shape with painters tape you will see the proportions. Or hang up brown paper sheets in various sizes.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6年前

• PRO
    Michael O’Brien, a Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    6年前

For the window wall you could provide a better visual flow by adding fabric top treatments to distribute the visual weight instead of having it all focused in the center.

• P Banos
    6年前

For the entry, maybe a small seat and art above?

Admiral's House · 詳細

Foyer · 詳細

• PRO
    Yours by Design
    6年前

Purple is the color of royalty and a perfect color for the Dining room · 詳細
    2 tone paint stripes, Use a flat and a gloss
    Budget Home staging · 詳細
    to create a tone on tone effect

Add a dramatic piece of red art

Faux finishe accent wall · 詳細
    Paint a faux finish of falling trees.
    From our website, www.yoursbydesign.net

• kcccrn *
    6年前
    I like the colors.
  • jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    6年前

what does everyone think ?

The question is more what do you think? You have to really like something you are going to look at every day. Do you really like this work of art?

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I like this one, too. :)

6年前

I like that one too. It is very complementary with the sofa.

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

frame color look okay? doesn't come in black

6年前

I think the frame color is actually better than the black. The black color was too contemporary looking for your room (only my opinion though).

• P Banos
    6年前

I agree the gold frame is more suitable than black with your traditional style furnishings. I like the size as you showed it - about 60"?

• PRO
    Backlit Décor
    6年前

Residential Applications · 詳細
    We can create Faux marble panels from floor to ceiling, illuminated or not.

http://BacklitDecor.com

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    P Banos, the wider one is 47 inch with the frame. I can't find any in on art.com in 60 inch framed. You think 47 will work ! I have a lamp there to take up attention even though it's not much :)
  • P Banos
    6年前

Tape out the exact size, or make a model out of paper bags or newspaper. Then we can see how it fits.

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I'll figure out over sofa. Thx food advice. What size frame do I need over this wall with keeping stuff on console? I was looking at a 38x38 frame like this but wasn't sure how low to bring frame down on wall since I have frames on this console ? Maybe it would look better to have a taller piece of art ? What dimensions? This section of wall is 58 inches across, ceilings are 9 ft, and it's about 26 inches to console top. Post pics with ideas. Rather not get rid of frames on console as we don't have anywhere else for them. Thx.
  • P Banos
    6年前

Taller than it is wide between these windows.

For proportion, but not necessary to be that tall.

Traditional Hall · 詳細

6年前

That would be perfect size.

But honestly, I think you are going about this wrong. You need to find something you like and then see if it fits. There are any number of sizes that would look good. It's all about the art.

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I always look at layout first so I know my limitations. Am I looking for a gallery wall? a large piece, etc. That's what I have the hardest time doing. Finding something I like to look at is easy part. Making it look appealing to eye and complementary to room is harder. I guess everyone does it differently, though.
  • Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Has anyone ever used ArtToFrame.com or any other similar websites (art.com) for prints bought on art.com or anywhere else? I've bought an inexpensive print for $50and the local stores want about $200 to frame which I'm not opposed to that. I just thought it would be worth seeing others experience in quality and pricing when comparing the two options. Of course, there are things to consider like dry mounting, etc. that you are paying for when you shop local. I'm looking for a 2x2 mat or 4x4 mat and maybe a 1.5 - 2 inch silver frame to give you an idea. It will be 26x26 or 30x30 frames which I'll never find outside the custom realm. Nice looking but not over the top. Thx.
  • P Banos
    6年前

If you have a Michael's near you be aware they regularly run 50% custom framing sales.

I have purchased inexpensive unframed oil on canvas and then spent way more than the canvas on the framing, but a great frame can make a not-great painting look good.

You might also find a decent frame with a *meh* work in it, and buy it for the frame. And if you do go thrifting, remember that a coat of paint can do a lot for a frame.

If you are looking to properly frame valuable/irreplaceable work, then you want an expert and should be willing to pay the price.

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Michael's isn't bad but that 50 percent is off of like $400 lol. So, in the end it is still a lot for a frame. But, I get it. You want an expert. There is place local to me called Frame Warehouse that does a lot of quality work who might be a tad cheaper, not much. I was really hoping I could find somebody who has purchased frames off of art.com because they actually seem like a pretty reputable company.

• coopermcboo
    6年前

I've used Art to Frame and been very happy with the AND their prices. I've also framed stuff at Michael's with discounts and it was still pretty pricey.

As for the wall above your bureau -- I think it's a good space for a gallery wall. Use the pictures on the bureau as part of it. And, when you can -- I agree with P Banos -- get yourself a tall buffet lamp for the top of the bureau. The other thing that would be cool if you didn't want to do a gallery wall is to do a vertical graphic poster of a favorite place, movie, etc. (but, you'd have to move the stuff of the top of the bureau or it would look too cluttered). The National Park Service has vintage style posters I'm currently in love with -- but anything that interests you would work.

• shwshw
    6年前

My husband was a picture framer years ago. Not only have the prices skyrocketed, the quality has gone way down hill. Good wood frames are very expensive, but as P Banos said, good matting and framing can make a so so piece into something spectacular. Good luck. Enjoying your process.

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

cooper, what was the savings on arttoframe versus a local framing shop? Was it 50 percent or what? Quality comparison?

• mjconti
    6年前

I've had success with art.com. One of the paintings you posted was by artist S. Vassilova - a wonderful artist. I'd like to see a brushed goldtone frame, not black. But I'm partial to gold (traditionalist so it is a matter of taste). Since your wall is between two openings, I think one piece of art would look best; more than one will look kind of busy, too much going on with the two openings. But I am far from being a pro!

• mo mad
    6年前

I have this canvas and the pink in the lower left corner is REALLY pink! It reminds me of a children's story book.

• leelee
    6年前

You should also look at etsy.com...Go to original paintings and then begin to sift through tons of schlock art to find some real gems.

Here are a few etsy paintings

Also, look at local galleries to get a feel for the look you're after.

• leelee
    6年前

Stores such as Pottery Barn, Ballard Design and Z Gallerie have lots of large art already framed. Look on line to see what you like.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    6年前

Below are a few art ideas and layouts from designs we have done for clients. Hope it helps you with your dilemma.

Aiken Modern Ranch Rebirth · 詳細

Woodside Updated Traditional Home · 詳細

Elegant Bungalow · 詳細

• groveraxle
    6年前

I order my frames from http://www.frameusa.com/wood-frames. However, they only go up to 36". I have my mats cut locally since Documounts closed. Any glass shop can cut your glass. I have a fabulous local framer for when I have something that requires special handling. Otherwise, the frames from frameusa are perfectly fine for most stuff.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6年前

If you select stretched canvas you need no frame or mat. Be careful about selecting prints that require glass because sometimes glass reflections can work against your art selection.

• Patrick Ritchie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Beverly, for the pic, do you think the frame bottom on bottom row would look right with lamp and frames on record player ? Or, should I clear it ? What would look good here? Somebody suggested a taller lamp. We have custom builts ins on each side of TV but space is pretty much all filled :) Thank you so much!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6年前

You always want to think about where you want or need the illumination. IMO, this light should illuminate the top of the cabinet so you can see the items you have placed on the top. Therefore you need a lamp that is taller and throws a wider cone of illumination.

However, the lamp should not cover what you have placed on the wall, so some type of buffet light seems appropriate.