Houzz Logo Print
lynette_mace

New doors, old handles

We are renovating a dilapidated 1930s property and one of the few things we can recover are the door handles. I'm wondering what they would look like on new doors though (probably oak shaker style). Have any of you done similar and did they look right or are the handles just going to look out of place?

Thanks for your opinions :)

コメント (7)

• Sonia
    6年前
    I'm no expert but I really like that door handle. Is it brass? It looks pretty unusual. It depends how you are going to decorate I suppose, but they look plain enough to look good with a contemporary decor or more traditional. Will be interesting to see what others think!
  • lynette_mace
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Yes it's brass and we think they look lovely but I'm not very good at visualising things! Thank you for your comment :)
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    6年前
    Yes Lynette. Definitely keep them and I am confident they will look fab. As said above, some of it will be down to the eventual style you choose and other metal elements in the rooms but they will look great... when against some modern elements and materials.
    Would love to see the finished space so keep us updated :)
  • A S
    6年前
    Hi,
    I would definitely keep them, something about the backplate makes them attractive to the eye. I would then use brass plate sockets/switches to get a more co-ordinate look. I think this would then set a Base for even a contemporary look with subtle hints of traditional if you intend to go down that route.

All the best
    A x
  • Jonathan
    6年前
    I also think that they look great and will look lovely with an oak door.
    This handle was likely quite high on the original door and therefore the fittings in the existing door frame are probably quite high too. I suggest you choose a handle height that suits the chosen door or choose a different door that allows flexibility of handle height such as a period copy or a plain door.
  • PRO
    Lariko Architects
    6年前
    Great to see some care over original features. We would recommend one of two approaches; a modern simple flush door to really highlight the original handle or, the original style panelled door as previously pictured with the correct handle placement. You may even be able to pick up some reclaimed pitch pine doors as a lot of people throw them out.

If using the 1930s period doors go unfinished or natural finish but if using solid flush doors go with an eggshell white or off white and this would look really stylish.