Houzz Logo Print
renato_barrios

What is this style? Do you think is modern or contemporary?

I did it my self at first I was looking for a Scandinavian look but wood was more expensive than glass in my country. I already bought two natural fiber carpets for the two spaces and a pendant chromed industrial lamp for the dinner. I'm not sure what to do with the wall where the photo frames are. I m thinking in using a giant canvas like the Bardot photo instead of the small frames for a more dramatic look. What do you think?

コメント (42)

• hbfn
    6年前

I like the Bardot photo, but I'd think something with color would be nice....

• Tems
    6年前

It's pretty modern. Not very scandinavian though, as you seem to have realized it needs more warmth, wood and natural elements.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    6年前

Modern ..yes to more warmth

• PRO
    Lisa Scolieri Interiors
    6年前

I agree your look is modern. Your use of streamlined furniture, glass and chrome places you in that style. I also think the large Bardot Canvas would be stunning but I might add a little designer tip. What looks to be the hallway? Right now you have something round hung there? I would replace that with a vertical rectangle modern mirror. It will add a lot of reflective light to that space that looks dark and add a nice larger architectural line, which will work well with new larger art. All about scale.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6年前

IMO this is contemporary and here is why;

Modern and Contemporary in interior design are not one in the same, as many people might think. Modern design refers to a period of time, it is a design style that was created in the 1920′s – 1950′s. It doesn't change, it is a defined style, and will remain such for ever. Contemporary design is ever changing.Mar 10, 2012

I love the idea of a large piece of art but I think you need some color

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I think the Delano chair is modern but the rest of the furniture is more contemporary and since I'm mixing styles it becomes more contemporary
    But I don't know
    Would you say something like this is better?
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    6年前

If you take away the colorful pillows on your couches and chairs it might feel more modern. It does add color but detracts from the modern feel.

Modern Glamour · 詳細

Historic School House Apartment · 詳細

• Sasha Berthiaume
    6年前

Definitely reads Modern to me. I like your idea of a large picture where the small frames are - I would love to see an abstract with a bit of color (maybe in the orange/red spectrum). Your room looks great!

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I already took out all the pillows and colors because originally I wanted a monochromatic feeling but it looks empty
    Maybe if I can get more things in white too and I get color from an abstract painting
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6年前

I think you should go looking for some original art in such a great space instaed of a poster.

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I was thinking that too
    I know a good artist in my country
    And I can ask something tailored for me
    I have this ideas
  • visualizemaven
    6年前

Glad the pillows are gone. It's contemporary. I think the Bardot is great and if you love it, then that is the way to go.

If you want to introduce blue, go for a modern blue area rug - no pattern. Make sure all your furniture fits on it (meaning do not make the mistake many make by buying a too small area rug).

Lose the fake flowers and the too large side sofa table.

Minimalist. Less is more.

Great job for a newbie!

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    This is the last configuration
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I'm stuck with the last photo
    Don't like it
    Ideas?
  • Tems
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

I don't think you need so many objects on the ground around the console table. 1 or 0 vases or such is enough. Of these I like the color one matching the art the most. On the table bringing in other materials than glass would be nice, since the table is all glass.

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I'm really grateful for your help!
    I really was considering in painting that wall
    Because the whole building is painted in that color
    I will send a picture. The bar is next to the living and is the same wall.
    In respect to the console I'm thinking in removing everything
    Even the wall art and using a mirror, getting a more monochromatic effect and getting more sense of space
    And using on the console the horses a vase with flowers and chromed stands with white candles
    What do you think
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    L
  • visualizemaven
    6年前

Consider these ideas: Paint the wall behind the acrylic console table dark gray - check out BM Montepelier Affinity collection #555. This will allow the table to stand out more.

To create tension and visual interest, paint the opposing hallway way (where the round art is) the same color gray. Remove the round piece (I can't tell what it is). Then take the art that is over the acrylic console table now and place it there. It will not get lost on the wall and will create a focal point. Do not hang it too high. Bottom of frame should be about 4' from the floor for a modern sensibility.

Remove all the small frames on the long blank right wall. Leave that wall free.

Resist the urge to over accessorize. You know it is not right for your space.

I like your idea for a mirror over the console table - that makes sense for your "foyer area". Place a small modern bowl there for keys, etc. I am saying don't put anything on this console if you plan on a modern centerpiece on the nearby dining table.

Have you been looking for an area rug for the living room?

Remember, more is less.

You are getting there!

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I like the ideas
    Yes I already ordered the carpets
    It is natural fiber
    Sisal for both the dining and the living
    I was thinking I'm removing the frames from the wall and leaving the space blank
    Because I think it will be hard to link that space with the living area
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Here are the carpets
    The round thing is a candle holder
    With the candle on the light reflects the mirror and you can see the metal pattern
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Hello
    I think now it looks better thanks to you
    Im still going for the gray wall and I'm thinking in including the wall in from of the bar stools
    I'm still considering the mirror
    I saw the one on the pictures in a store
    I'm in love with the Buddha
    And I'm considering a wood chest for below the console
  • visualizemaven
    6年前

That mirror would not coordinate well with the style you have going on which, back to your original question, is contemporary. I will look for a mirror for you.

What do you mean a wooden chest under the console? I don't understand.

I like the round wall candle holding is great - it just doesn't fit in your design scheme..............

where is the Buddha that you love?

See how the little picture frames and the small items on the console table are just too many l little things not making an impact in a contemporary room?

I am so sorry to say this but sisal rugs are not the best choice here, especially those with the fabric trim.

I will look for something more fitting.

I hope I have not offended you - just trying to make the rooms really be successful contemporary spaces!

• visualizemaven
    6年前

https://www.houzz.com/products/dalyn-monaco-sisal-mc200-rug-charcoal-9x13-prvw-vr~43881360

This rug is gray which will coordinate with the gray wall you are planning to do. Clean edge, no trim. It will help to anchor your furniture which right now is floating visually.

• visualizemaven
    6年前

https://www.houzz.com/products/dayna-wall-mirror-prvw-vr~30747594

This mirror will not compete with existing elements but offers 3 dimension and reflection.

Does it appeal to you?

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I will cancel both rugs tomorrow because I think they don't make enough contrast, too similar in tonality to the floor
    I was thinking to taint them gray but I don't think it is the best move
    In respect to the mirror I have something very similar here in my country but I think is too busy somehow
    I like a more cleaner look
    I'm trying this grays
    And this is the Buddha
    It is outside
  • visualizemaven
    6年前

Hi Renato - so relieved you can stop purchase on the sisal rugs.

I'm voting for the 2nd swatch of gray - first one on the bottom line - I believe it is more taupe than gray and that will work better with your tan floor tiles.

Is the Buddha stone? Can you move it inside?

I understand what you mean about the mirror I suggested being too busy visually. However - if everything is too minimal and clean - things can look boring and sterile so let's all think about how to avoid that in your living area.

Best.

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Totally agree I chose that color
    The Buddha is wood and because being wood it will end up inside
    Here are some samples of rugs from a store
    And there is an orange rug too
    What do you think of the gray and the rugs?

Thanks in advance
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I like this one
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I'm thinking in just the wall of the barstools and the one behind the console
    The TV wall will stay white because the blue TV led gives it color
    And if the green carpet stays
    The fakes grass goes out and I will use ceramic or porcelanate simulating gray stone
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    The blue led light looks really good behind the TV
    It is for decreasing eye stress while watching a movie
    The camera can't capture the effect
    But it really looks good
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    That is the building color and it was like that since the beginning
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I had some blue accents like the pillows but now I want it more white and green and preferably black rugs to add some drama I think
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Modern is a style from a specific time in history…probably from the 20’s through the late 50’s would be my guess…Think Joan Crawford and Carole Lombard through Dick Van Dyke Show.

Contemporary is NOT a style at all. Contemporary just means what is going on right now. Five years from now, what is going on in the design world will be contemporary.

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I think I agree
    Maybe contemporary is more a tendency and as a tendency borrows ideas from other styles
  • Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Hello
    I just want to express my gratitude to all the people who took the time in helping me
    At the end I trusted my instincts and I am happy to tel you
    That finally I got what I think it was on my mind since the beginning
    Here it is the final product and some comments will be great
    Thanks again and I move on to another room : )
    This never ends lol
  • PRO
    Rosenhaus Design Group, Inc.
    6年前

I am appalled at the artist who divides 'Starry Night' into three sections.

'Moderne' was a style in the 1920's. Contemporary is what can be done presently. Modern is advancing materials and design capabilities. See Frank Gehry and Zaha Hadid along with many other forward thinking architects and engineers.

• visualizemaven
    6年前

Glad you got the point of trusting your own instincts and then taking into consideration feedback from Houzzers.

I agree with all your latest comments above.

I think your balcony area is very cute - green grass and colorful little hanging pots - but I don't like seeing it as the back drop for your ultra stylized living space. So I agree that carrying the color theme and style of your room out to the balcony would work best.

Whites, browns, grays, silver..............

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Totally agree with your view
    And sometimes you gotta loose some battles in order to win others
    Outside is more my wife aaaand happy wife happy life
    In time I can start pushing some small changes : )
    Thanks for all your advices
    All well received
  • visualizemaven
    6年前

Any man who says, "Happy wife, happy life" gets an A plus from me.

And as you said, you have made a lot of the choices inside.

Best.

• Renato Barrios
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    No luck with the industrial lamp it got lost
    Should I wait an order it again or what do you think about this two
  • visualizemaven
    6年前

You mean to go over the dining room table?

What did the industrial lamp look like that got lost - the last pics? No industrial for your contemporary rooms.

I am voting for the LED horizontal spiral - it is cool, it is different, it coordinates well with everything in your rooms.

The 3 long pendants would work also but IMHO, without any wow factor........