Houzz Logo Print
jdoxen

Should we add gutters to our MCM home?

jdoxen
7年前

Our house butts up against a hillside and we currently have downspouts integrated into our low slope roof (in lieu of gutters). We do have oak trees over hanging the house so the downspout screens occasionally get clogged with leaves and debris (along with gravel from the existing tar and gravel roof).

We're in the process of getting bids to install an IB roof and most contractors have suggested adding gutters to the low end of the roof. The good news is the gutters wouldn't be that visible, but I still worry that adding gutters will essentially bastardize the house. I also wonder if they're really necessary since the biggest culprit in clogging the downspouts thus far has been gravel from our existing roof.

Any alternatives you can suggest?

コメント (6)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7年前

If you forgo gutters, you have to address the water run off. That could involve creating a 3' rock/pebble bed around the home to address erosion issues and direct the water away from the house.

I personally hate gutters as they create more work, but the water issue still has to be addressed.

http://blog.buildllc.com/2012/06/modern-gutters-downspouts/

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7年前

I have gutters on my MCM ranch and to be honest they really just kind of are there without making a statement one way or the other. We direct the down spouts away from the house . These pics were taken before we renovated but I don’t find them bad and they certainly keep the water going where we want it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7年前

There are some gutter systems that have a unique top and water movement method and they might be a good solution for you. Since you seem to have a shorter run, the cost would be manageable. You can get a color that blends with you home and doesn't distract. Water management is key to preserving your whole house!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7年前

It is called a "leaf guard" system. Here is photo of it.

gutter systems · 詳細
    The water slides down and into the lower gutter and leafs and stones slide off but don't get into the gutter.

• PRO
    Bath Planet of Atlanta
    6年前

Our GutterGlove gutter guards are ranked the highest with Consumer Reports and are the only leaf and rain filters winning awards for eco-friendly design.

FOUR THINGS YOU WANT TO LOOK FOR IN GUTTER GURADS are - 1) they are stainless steal and NOT plastic. 2) They connect completely to the gutters and do not have openings where animals or bugs can crawl into and breed (think mosquitoes and Zika!). 3) They are at an angle and not 90 degrees - if they are at an angle any debris will fall off like a slide - if they are at 90 degrees, debris will collect on them and you will still have to clean them off. 4) They can catch tons of rain fall - GutterGlove is proven (and award -winning) for collecting 150 inches of rainfall a minute - that is a lot of rain! None of the other gutter guard companies can claim this and it is a big deal.