Houzz Logo Print
colleen_durant80

Californian Bungalow - kitchen design style - contemporary Vs trad?

I am doing complete renovation on a californian bungalow in Sydney. My architect has designed a really great kitchen layout - a straight line of 5m of cupboard space and a central island in front. I am now trying to decide on the style of cabinet fronts etc. I hate shaker style of cabinets but at the same time, it can't be a flat contemporary look as it has to go with decorative ceilings, traditional doors and architraves. How would you style it - contemporary or traditional?

コメント (8)

• siriuskey
    7年前

do you have any photos & plans to share, what colour pallet have you chosen agree with MB design that modern contemporary kitchens go well with traditional features

Colleen Durantさんはsiriuskeyさんにお礼を言いました
  • Sammy Elder
    7年前

As MB Design & Drafting notes it really depends on your furniture and styling throughout your home, especially the areas in close proximity to the kitchen. Flat contemporary cabinets can work in a traditional home, it all depends on how you put things together. If you really don't like shaker cabinetry I wouldn't use it as you will never love your new space. Don't be afraid to mix traditional and modern or step outside the box.

• Colleen Durant
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Many thanks for that great photo - inspiring!

• PRO
    Gary Hamer Interior Design
    7年前

Hi Colleen. If you don't like Shaker style, I'd focus on contemporary but understated, as opposed to modern cabinets. Think matt or satin finish, rather than gloss for cabinets. You don't necessarily need handles, but if you do keep them architectural and simple. For example, a D shape handle in stainless steel as opposed to anything fancy. Finally, I'd avoid doing a glass splash back in this architectural situation. This is where you can inject personality. I know subway tiles have been overdone, but you can still include slightly different patterns, such as herringbone or running them vertically rather than horizontally. Or if you prefer a bit of colour, go for something like a 100x100 hand-made tile in a colour you like (or something that looks hand-made). While these tiles are more expensive, you've got a relatively small amount to purchase, and this can make all the difference. I hope that helps, best wishes with everything.

• siriuskey
    7年前

flying blind here but some thoughts

Annandale, Residential · 詳細

Burraneer Residence · 詳細

Burraneer Residence · 詳細

• bigreader
    7年前
    I do love a shaker profile but different strokes. You could def use a flat plain profile and it would look great. I'd stick with a matt finish nothing too slick.
  • bigreader
    7年前
    Google 14 Irymple Avenue Kew East. Former Block contestants did a modern makeover on a bungalow/cottage. It may appeal to you.