Houzz Logo Print
jen_marie_hans

Which way to lay flooring? Change Directions?

Jen Hans
7年前

I am struggling to decide which way to lay my flooring. It is Karndean LVP, glue down (so there is no "maximum run"). Obviously (right?) it should be laid parallel to the hallway/entryway. But that leaves a decision at the threshold to the kitchen on whether to continue in the same direction, so the flooring would be running perpendicular to the longest wall in the kitchen/sitting/dining area/long island, or to switch directions. I am not a fan of switching, as I don't want it to look too busy, or to detract from the beams that will be overhead. But I'm concerned that it won't look good perpendicular to the long wall either. Not sure what to do. I've seen people run it diagonal everywhere....?

I've highlighted everywhere the flooring is going in red.
The kitchen/sitting/dining area is 14' wide and 35' long. The hallway/foyer is 43' long and 6' wide at the entryway.

コメント (13)

• PRO
    Klar and Klar Architects, Inc
    7年前

I would recommend running the flooring perpendicular so when it hits the living room/kitchen area it will widen the room and run parallel to the cabinets. A herringbone pattern always is a nice option as well.

• Jen Hans
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Won't having the boards perpendicular to the long hallway/foyer make it look like a railroad track?

• Jen Hans
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    that's an interesting point, as the highway is 40 inches wide, at the narrow part, but it always feels rather small.
  • PRO
    7年前

Here are two
    photo examples of the difference it makes running the flooring perpendicular to
    the walls. As you can see it helps make the hallway feel wider where the
    picture with the flooring running parallel makes it feel smaller.

• PRO
  • PRO
  • Jen Hans
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    you're right. my only concern is that our planks are longer than the width. So we'd have to cut them. Problem?
  • PRO
    7年前

I don't think that is a problem. You are going to have a 1/3 type of pattern going on so it will be broken up by small parallel edges like the picture above.

• Jen Hans
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Well this saves the day! I like it. Thanks!

• pammykb
    7年前
    I think
  • pammykb
    7年前
    Oops, hit post too soon!
    I think running the planks at right angles to the hallway will make a 40 inch hallway look much narrower. The hallway pictured above is much wider than 40 inches. I prefer running the planks in the direction of the hall.
  • Jen Hans
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    The pictured hallway js much wider, yes, but I think running them the long way makes it look longer, like a tunnel. clearly a 40 inch hallway isn't ideal. Maybe I'll try and mock up two options for the hallway.

anyone for diagonal?