Houzz Logo Print
mary_souther

Front door color??

Mary Souther
7年前
最終更新:7年前

Our front door is getting repaired (and a new frame built) this week. I desperately want a colored door - soooo tired of plain white. I'm stuck between two colors; navy blue or terra-cotta orange? Pictures attached. (I'm open to other suggestions but really like the blue or orange option.)

Details: the large front porch (width of the house) has a very large hedge in front of it, which we like for privacy. It lets light through but the porch is not sunny. The porch floor is concrete, and we plan to paint it this summer - totally open n color suggestions for that as well. The house is light green with white columns and trim. It is a Queen Anne cottage, built around 1910.

Pictures (please forgive the mess while the door is worked on!):

A nicer picture of the whole porch:

The options I like so far:

コメント (20)

• coopermcboo
    7年前

It's a little hard for me to tell what color green your house is -- in the close up of paint samples, it looks like it's a sage green... in the other examples, it looks much more yellow. With the sage, I like the blue. And the orange supports the more yellow/green. Don't know if you can post another, wider shot of your house, but if you can, that might help.

Mary Southerさんはcoopermcbooさんにお礼を言いました
  • chloebud
    7年前

I agree it's hard to tell the true green. If it's close to your last photo I would use navy.

Mary Southerさんはchloebudさんにお礼を言いました
  • Mary Souther
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks, all. Here's a shot - it's not great, but you can see how high the hedge is. It's a light green, but not yellow at all.

And yes, those overgrown trees on the side of the house will be cut waayyyy back this summer!

• Mary Souther
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I'd say the third shot that I posted (with the pumpkins) is the most accurate color.

• chloebud
    7年前

Oops...sorry...I meant the green as it appears in your fourth photo for the navy door.

• D. L.
    7年前

I am going to ask if you natural personality are seriously outgoing and social and cheerful, because the bright door will call attention to your house in a gregarious way.

I am not trying to give the right answer, I really think you will be happier if you stay closer to your personality.

Mary SoutherさんはD. L.さんにお礼を言いました
  • Mary Souther
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I am outgoing and social. I love having parties - that front porch gets lots of action in the summer. :)

• Jennifer Peterson
    7年前
    I love the navy! Have fun and post pictures when it's finished!
    Mary SoutherさんはJennifer Petersonさんにお礼を言いました
  • coopermcboo
    7年前

Thanks for clarifying the best picture to gauge the color. If you love orange, then go for it -- it's appropriate for a cottage and adds a touch of whimsy. I'm not crazy about the orange you pulled, though. I LOVE the orange on the door in the picture that Maureen posted. I don't know much about painting concrete, but if you're looking for thoughts -- I really like the North Creek Brown -- also in Maureen's post.

Mary Southerさんはcoopermcbooさんにお礼を言いました
  • Mary Souther
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks for all the help! Here is the finished door. I love it. I went with the color "Nouveau Copper" by Behr. However, I ALMOST went with a beautiful navy blue. In the end, I decided that a shady porch needs a bright door.

On to the next project!

• CLC
    7年前

That looks fabulous! I love the color

• chloebud
    7年前

Very nice!

• Maureen
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Perfect color! Fresh, light and complimentary. Next project?

Mary SoutherさんはMaureenさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Klar and Klar Architects, Inc
    7年前

The navy blue would be a nice compliment to the green house color!

• glschisler
    7年前
    Perfect! Great choice!
    Mary Southerさんはglschislerさんにお礼を言いました
  • Mary Souther
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Next is paint the rest of the trim around the porch, and pressure wash. Well, wash first. Then paint the porch floor.

• PRO
    S Lynn Interiors
    7年前

Have you considered painting the trim navy?

• coopermcboo
    7年前

Looks great!

• Don Moore
    7年前
    Uyhhuiiiuiuuyyutuug.