Houzz Logo Print
nataliyarann

Help! Light cream color tile turned out to be pinkish.

N R
7年前

We are remodeling small guest bathroom. What I wanted to have is simple - sage color walls, gray/brown floor and cream tiles for the corner shower. Today my GC put the tiles on and it has light pinkish shade! It completely thrown away the design I had in mind. Is there anyway to help the situation? Make walls more gray? Change the light?

コメント (2)

• PRO
    Cosa Belle Interiors
    7年前

Good Afternoon,

Most likely your tile is turning "pinkish" because there is green in your wall color. Green and red are complimentary colors- meaning when placed next to each other, they create the strongest contrast for those two colors. So, when you put some thing with a green tone next to something with a red or pink tone in it, those the red and the green will be brought out even more. One thing you can try is looking at different paint colors that have less green and see if that solves the problem. When looking at different paint options, make sure to look at the paint away from the current paint color. It helps if you can get a sample of the color and paint it on a piece of poster board with a 2" white border around it.

Another thing you can try is to change the bulbs in your lighting. Lighting can affect a color through Metamerism. Metamerism is a phenomenon that occurs when colors change according to how they are viewed in different lighting conditions. Color temperature is how we measure a light's color which is done is Kelvin ratings. A low kelvin rating will mean a warmer light and a high kelvin level will mean a cool light. For example, candle light is about 1800 Kelvin, Incandescent bulbs are 2700, halogen bulbs are around 3500, fluorescent bulbs are around 4500, and average daylight is around 5500. This information is relevant to your problems because you most likely have a warmer bulb in your lights now. If you do not have any LED bulbs in your fixtures, your bulbs are most likely 2700, or a warm white light. LED bulbs are available in a wide range of color temperatures compared to halogen, fluorescent and incandescent-all of which have a very small, if any range of color temperature. I would try switching to 3000 or 3500 LED bulbs and see how your tile looks and go from there. You will start to see how the coolness of the light versus the warmth affects the color and the tile and go from there. Keep in mind, if you change your bulb color, this will also affect your paint color and everything else in the room.

Without seeing your problem in person, we can only recommend what we commonly see in the field. Hopefully, one or both of these suggestions will help you! Take some before and after pictures and let us know how it goes!

Good Luck!

Cosa Belle Interiors

• N R
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thank you.