Houzz Logo Print
dianekdoctor

Grout color for backsplash?

I'm using Torreon tumbled brushed travertine (4x4) tile in the backsplash with Typhoon Bordeaux granite countertops. I will also have small 1x1 accent tiles in antique copper patina color interspersed throughout the backsplash. I'm not sure what color grout to use. Should I use one that is the same color as the tile? Or something that coordinates with the tile, granite and accent tiles?

コメント (14)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7年前

Match the main tile as closely as possible. That will let the pretty stone shine, and the contrast with the accent tile will make it stand out pleasingly.

Is the 1x1 tile a border? And the longer copper the accent tile? If 1x1 is a border, I would do some samples of it grouted in the main body colour and in a darker that disappears against the tile.

Diane Doctorさんはmiss lindsey (She/Her)さんにお礼を言いました
  • Diane Doctor
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

OK, thanks! That sounds easy :)

• Diane Doctor
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Lindsey, the 1x1 is not a border. It will spaced every other tile in a zigzag pattern like in the attached photo. I found this on Houzz. Sorry it's sideways.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7年前

Ok, now I get that. What is the copper antique patina scrolly piece posted last in your original post? I was confused, I thought that was the accent tile.

To your original question, I would still say match the body tile :)

Diane Doctorさんはmiss lindsey (She/Her)さんにお礼を言いました
  • Jeffrey Youngblood
    7年前

I think it would use the same color as the tile for the grout color. I love your design very Tuscan and Mediterranean

Diane DoctorさんはJeffrey Youngbloodさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    WW Love Your Home
    7年前

Dark colored grout ... bronze colored.

Diane DoctorさんはWW Love Your Homeさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    JFlores
    7年前
    In my years of doing tile we would do something like sandstone or neutral to let the tile show
    Diane DoctorさんはJFloresさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Build Your House Yourself University (BYHYU)
    7年前

I vote for grout the same color as the tile, allowing your accents to make more of a statement.

Diane DoctorさんはBuild Your House Yourself University (BYHYU)さんにお礼を言いました
  • Diane Doctor
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    yes, i'm going for what i call "Tuscan Lite".
  • Diane Doctor
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    the copper piece is 1"x1" and is a small accent piece.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7年前

Oh I see now--the original photo was stretched, so I thought it was 1x2 or so! Thanks for reposting :)

• Diane Doctor
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    thanks, everyone. this is so helpful!
  • PRO
    Nanci Paige Design
    7年前

When using a natural stone always work w a grout color that essentially disappears bc u want the stone to do the talking. Any contrasting grout color will break up the field. Fun w ceramic tile but not so much w natural stone.

Diane DoctorさんはNanci Paige Designさんにお礼を言いました