Houzz Logo Print
amydyoung48

Decorating suggestions!

Amy
7年前
We are looking to decorate our living room and would love some suggestions! I know it needs texture and dimension. Some things we were thinking...
- light grey/ silver sectional
- window panels? Cream or grey? Or a color?
- floating shelves above the tv on the window wall
- a piece of artwork in between the double window and the slider
- replacing the coffee table with a new round one or antique trunk or tool chest
- media console?

We need a solution to the TV. It is the only place we can put it. Originally we had thought of custom built-ins flanking the fireplace but we are having a hard time envisioning how that would work/ if it would even look right for it to include the television in the corner.

コメント (13)

• Amy
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    I meant to attach this picture as well!
  • PRO
    Lisa Scolieri Interiors
    7年前

Hello Amy, I know many people love sectionals but you can actually have wasted space in the corner seat and when entertaining adults most people would not pick to sit that close together. Have you considered a sofa in same area than maybe two cozy chairs with matching ottomans on each side of the sofa? This may open up the flow into the family room from the kitchen. Jessica Charles makes a fabulous ottoman called Marilyn. It is stylish and tufted and can come on casters to move in closer for people sitting on sofa to put up their feet. Toss a large neat tray on top for drinks etc. Just consider your view and flow from the kitchen into your inviting family room space. Also places like best buy can mount your TV on wall in corner on brackets that can pivot out for better viewing. Paint the beams in the space to make them more of an architectural element. Enjoy the decorating

• PRO
    User
    7年前

Gorgeous home!

The main thing I'd focus on is updating your fireplace to match the design of your home and add built-ins similar to this:

Traditional Living Room · 詳細
    I'd relocate TV to above new fireplace or if you're opposed to the TV above the fireplace, here's an option with built-ins and TV to the side:

Nancy · 詳細
    Of course, I'd place the TV to the right of the fireplace. Also, The scale of the fireplace in that last photo should be larger, which yours is.

Hope this helps and sparks some ideas!

• Bev
    7年前
    I also agree with focusing on built ins for the fireplace. I also suggest adding more red accents, similar to what you have with the throw pillows. You already have your neutral pallette, now you need to punch up the room with a little more color! I suggest some red in the window treatments.
  • jck910
    7年前

Do you love the FP? If you do some of the above suggestions won't help. I would start with a rug, much larger than what you have now. That will be the jumping off point for your colors. What does the wall opposite the double windows look like? Is it possible for the TV to go there or is it a walk way?

• shirlpp
    7年前

Another solution for the TV. It does not have to be on the wall like the picture shows, it can sit on the cabinetry.

Kinsman Signature Home · 詳細

• er612
    7年前

If you hang curtain panels, you probably don't need anything between the window and sliding door.

Here are some ideas for built-ins...

• er612
    7年前

Additional builtins:

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    7年前

It might be of help to include a few designs of ours. Notice below the rug, sofa and chairs, media center, window treatments, and coffee table.

Woodside Updated Traditional Home · 詳細

Woodside Updated Traditional Home · 詳細

• Amy
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thank you everyone for all your comments, suggestions, and drawings! They have been so helpful!

There is a walkway/ stairwell behind the sectional. I actually don't love the idea of the sectional (it was a free sofa we took to fill the space when we moved in). I was toying with the idea of a couch and love seat. Thoughts on that? I like the idea of the big ottoman too.

Another question... the fireplace is staying. It is basically "flush" with the wall- it's not built out like so many of the idea pictures. Would built -ins still look good flanking the fireplace?
  • Amy
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Also- I've always loved this rug (but it's out of my price range).
    Would you suggest a rug like this with color or just stick with a larger, but neutral rug and bring in punches of color with pillows and accessories.

The space is so open I get lost!
  • keenplanner
    7年前

You're starting with some nice furniture at least, in good colors. I agree that doing arts-and-crafts style built-ins on either side of the fireplace would be the best place for the TV. Don't go too crazy and mess with the fireplace, though. It's rather nice. Be sure to put doors on the TV cabinet. A big flat screen is like having a visual black hole in your living room.