Houzz Logo Print
zee_merven

Ugly House Front

Zee Moo
7年前
最終更新:7年前

We have a stunning view from our 1970s Beach Shack however from the road its an ugly grey box.
Any ideas on how or what to reclad this with??

コメント (33)

• oklouise
    7年前

is it the colour or the cladding or the lack of features in the wall..what about add a verandah or open pergola with some climbers to soften the grey box....where is the front entry..what about an entry porch and/or verandah to enjoy views or create a sheltered garden to screen the house from the street... more photos looking out and looking in across the whole block would help explain the problem better

• Zee Moo
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Sorry here you go... The front from the road behind me.
  • oklouise
    7年前

i'm sorry Zee i love your house just as is, with it's modern 50's vibe, although i would prefer a plain security screen and i think a verandah across the whole building and a colonnade over the ramp might help screen the front door from the street but would you use the space?? what about a generous hedge of local native shrubs to soften the edges?

• John Henson
    7年前
    Great place, I love it as is. I do quite like the idea of framing the windows though but I would do it in oiled timber and I would box it out slightly to protect the glazing from direct sunlight.
  • LesleyH
    7年前
    What direction is the front door facing?
  • Melinda C
    7年前
    I like the place too! I agree with previous posts. Change the flyscreen. I really like the thick white frame on window near door, can you do that to the others? Then make a statement with low maintenance costal landscaping!
  • Zee Moo
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    The front door is behind the screen in the mudroom. Its just sliding frosted glass. Here is a photo look back towards the ramp and road. And for context the amazing view from the other side of the house.
    I really like the idea of boxing out the windows in oiled timber and replacing the screen so thanks heaps!
  • haephestus
    7年前

I like it as is, although I also like the suggestion of thick white framing around all of the windows to mirror the framing on the thin, vertical window near the front door.

A lot of planters in front of the timber railing (i.e. where the small, single plant in a white pot current is) with some tall, lush, green, architectural foliage would probably help as well (although it's a little unclear to see what is happening that area with the blue tarp, etc).

• Zee Moo
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Haha that blue tarp has turned into a semi permanent feature as it has been there for a while as we are redecking in spotted gum. 3 decks and a ramp down, one to go. I agree I think the planters in this area is a great idea.
    Thanks Houzzers!
  • brixnmorta
    7年前

I agree a verandah will improve it heaps, you have a great location - a 2nd floor would make it better.

• Zee Moo
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Its confusing this is the second floor. the first floor is below this level in brick. A deck of this wouldnt work as it would block any light that comes in downstairs.
  • brixnmorta
    7年前

Sorry Zee, I thought that was the foundations. The walls appear to be colourbond on the top floor?

Since no one has actually answered your question, here's a couple of links for ideas. I like the modern linea weatherboard in the 1st one (if you want to get away from vertical cladding.) Or maybe you'll like the shingles in #2.

http://www.jameshardie.com.au/products/external-cladding/

http://www.weathertex.com.au/products/

• Zee Moo
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Brixnmorta thank you! This gives me something to think about. :)
  • LesleyH
    7年前
    The reason I asked about the direction you are facing, is the attached photos are a way of blocking out unwanted sun at the same time as adding some interest.

BTW linea boards are really quite expensive.

A crimsafe security door would be great. You can't even see they are there as they have improved so much over the years.
  • Kat
    7年前

Hi Zee, I agree all you need are awnings in contrasting colour, metal if you want low maintenance?, then add some tall folage, close to the house, with grey and silvery tones. I have attached some awning

photos - good luck

• Krista Why
    7年前
    I'd be painting the window trims, guttering, security door and maybe some "features" of the front porch and entry in black. Black would really smarten up the grey. Once that's done hanging plants along the front porch and maybe a vertical garden or just a big old staghorn underneath the high window to add some colour and interest.
  • siriuskey
    7年前

Like your house and Cladding as is, windows and screen door need a bit of help grey & white is a classic colour scheme, As John Henson mentioned some built out timber frames would work well, timber adds warmth, what colour bricks are used for the ground floor. Your garden to the street looks lovely good luck

• Bernadette Staal
    7年前

Cheapest and quickest option is simply to use plants, a couple of semi-established trees, some shrubs, maybe some grasses (to reflect the beach tussocks). Rocks and perhaps stones for the ground cover (very low maintenance) and "Bob's Your Auntie". A new look at a very small cost.

• siriuskey
    7年前

perhaps

• shane_donna
    7年前
    Look at Houzz Article on Pop-Outs. You might gain some inspiration there :)
  • LesleyH
    7年前
    Yes pop outs add a lot of interest.
  • siriuskey
    7年前

Hi Zee, John Henson have you found any pictures of what you suggested, it would be easier for everyone to understand what you meant. It's a simple and quite inexpensive treatment for external windows and doors, a great look. I can only explain it as making a timber box the same size as the window/door without the bottom in it and using this to frame up the window's, the door would only have 3 sides , I will look for Pic's when I have time, wouldn't we all love the outlook from this house,

• Zee Moo
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thanks all for your help and making me feel a bit better about our beach box. I have some ideas now. The screen door and windows I am definitely going to do something with and also planting across the front courtyard with help. Now to find some big planter boxes... Thanks again xx
  • LesleyH
    7年前
    Boxed in window may look like this and is often used by archigects these days.
  • Zee Moo
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    That looks great Lesley!
  • LesleyH
    7年前
    Yes it is quite innovative in blocking out unwanted sun to the left and right of the window. Like a 3 sided eave plus window sill while at the same time being attractive.
  • siriuskey
    7年前

Caringbah 01 · 詳細

Thanks Lesley that's just what John and I thought would be a good way to improve the appearance of the front of the house, I was looking for a photo of a simpler version, less costly, and timber colour which also looks great with grey. Zee what's to the left of the front door, looks like a Verandah. you also appear to have timber enclosing the lower part o the building

• siriuskey
    7年前

It's a very modern look that as Lesleyh said is used by a lot of architects in different sizes and materials

• Marguerite McCartney
    7年前

I'd add thick white frames round the other windows, with timber to simulate the look of the tall window and maybe paint the exterior a warmer tone, than grey.

• siriuskey
    7年前

• LesleyH
    7年前
    I still like the 3 sided ones for good sun protection. Can place over several windows as well.
  • romneybishop
    7年前

Looking at your photos, the existing colour with the timber is great. Several people have suggested timber shade structures over the windows. This will soften the grey and give you some depth to the structure. You could also try growing a green leafy vine in front of the pipe. Something that i not too aggressive and is easy to prune, such as potato creeper, would be great.