Houzz Logo Print
isidora_markovic90

POLL: Pick a kitchen worktop material!

Seen and used day in, day out, kitchen countertops can easily become part of the familiar, everyday environment of our kitchens and go from being the pride and joy of the space to a little forgotten. It's time to show worktops some love by voting for your favourite!

As most countertop materials are quite versatile, and look good in most kitchen styles, it's less of a clear cut "I have x material because it suits x interior style".

Kensal Rise Kitchen · 詳細

So- vote and comment with why it's your favourite, and don't hesitate to add a picture or two!

Corian
Other - comment!

コメント (30)

• PRO
    Traditional Sash Windows
    7年前

Granite for me every time.

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

wood, natural stone , always works, love them to bits, its every where , i would love to try something different ,concrete worktops/breakfast bars,kitchen islands,counter, there's not much off it

• PRO
    Cotterpine
    7年前
    I like natural stone but i choose Quartz, is more sustainable
  • PRO
    Day & Co Construction
    7年前

I like the warmth and richness that timber can add but it needs to be usd in the right areas to make it lasting, love Granite, such a beautiful and varied natural material, quartz is of course the more sustainable option

• daniella_smith75
    7年前
    We have black granite which was here when we moved in. It looks beautiful, but what a pain to keep clean! Every water drop and crumb shows. Method granite cleaner is the best, but still, steer clear of black!.
  • Barry Leighton
    7年前

I am going for Lapitec, which is supposed to be indestructible - totally heat resistant, will never mark and requires no maintenance. Anyone used it? Feedback welcome as its not too late to change! It is very expensive.

• angelboyman
    7年前

Marble and/or wood are timeless classics and if I'm spending ££££s on worktops then I want to make sure they outrun any trends!

• Nicola Mulholland
    7年前
    How is Granite not an option on this poll??
  • Joanna Biddolph
    7年前

I chose wood, which is annoyingly high maintenance, for environmental reasons. I didn't want to use something that would end up in landfill where it wouldn't biodegrade.

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    7年前

Generally, I prefer to use quartz or stone for the majority of expensive kitchens and wood if there's an island in the plan. Wood near the sink tends to go black with mildew over time or lose it's finish near the water. Marble is great for areas devoted to pastry making, but can be damaged by acidic foods like tomatoes or lemons.

In the majority of kitchens, I use laminates. They are available in such a huge range of textures, reflective finishes, and patterns imitating stone, wood, glass, etc. They clean up beautifully, are unaffected by chemicals and are sensibly priced.

At the end of the day, I use what the scheme calls for and what my clients like.

• bruket
    7年前

I used to have wood in my previous house, it was beautiful but it could stain if the wrong type of pot was left on work top. To remove the stain you had to sand and re-oil. It is also very difficult to sand close to a sink or stove. I am now planning a new kitchen in a different house. This time I will have white laminate where to hob and sink is and on the island I hope to have bamboo. One of my siblings have black shiny granit which is dreadful, everything shows up, it is constantly being polished. My other sibling has matt, I think granit, this surface is a little bit less work, but still shows up any little spills or crumbs.

As I said, this time I will have white laminate, it does not cost a fortune, if you have a disaster, it is fairly easy to replace, I think also as you get older, your eyes are maybe not as sharp as before which makes work is easier on a pale surface. On the island I hope to get bamboo, the island has no sink or hob, it will be used as a work surface cum free standing sideboard.

• bruket
    7年前

I have just noticed I spelt Granite the Swedish way (granit).

• Sonia
    7年前

I've got oak worktops, but maintenance is difficult. I oil them every few months but it is starting to look scruffy, especially near the sink, despite mopping up water immediately, I'm going to have them changed for granite in a pale, marble-like shade. My son in law runs a natural stone company and he says the toughest is granite and a better choice than marble which is quite soft and easily damaged.

• PRO
    Luxus Kitchens
    7年前

I feel a quartz is the best all round materials for worktops.

• PRO
    Crystal Clear Building Solutions Ltd.
    7年前

We find quartz or any other composite to be the best quality for the price.

• PRO
    In Ex Design
    7年前

We find Quartz and Composite stones are great alternatives for Natural Stone and good all-rounder worktops for all different styles of Kitchens. Increasingly we are specifying Concrete or Stainless Steel worktops, which are not only very practical but add material interest and texture to the Kitchen colour palette. Here is one of our recent projects where a Concrete worktop was formed around a contemporary handle-less island unit.

• PRO
    HENDRY JOINERS AND BUILDERS LTD
    7年前

Quartz is a man made product which is very durable, resistant to heat and is easy to install.

• PRO
    KutchenPlus Kitchens Islington
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Quartz is very popular and durable for kitchen worktop. Here is one of our recent project with Quartz worktop shown below. Note that the vein of the marble can be joined continuously from two pieces for a smooth and elegant finish.

Kitchen in Dalston, N16 · 詳細

• PRO
    Haus Handle Ltd
    7年前

We find Quartz work tops are very popular with our clients.

• PRO
    North Leeds Garden Design
    7年前

Has to be granite if you can afford it and you think you're going to stay in the house for a while

• PRO
    Ormskirk Kitchens Ltd
    7年前

we supply all work tops

• PRO
    Red Onion Kitchen Design Studio
    7年前

Quarts worktops are extremely durable and available in a fantastic range of colors and finishes.

• PRO
    Yvonne Gibbs
    7年前

Marble works when you have a generous budget and you want the surface to last the test of time!

• Isidora Markovic
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Wow @Mobalpa Islington what a lovely worktop!

• PRO
    Red Leaf Kitchens & Interiors
    7年前

Defiantly find that we would sell a lot of marble, granite and other stone material as they seen to be more hard wearing and durable with a wide range of colours.

• PRO
    Red Leaf Kitchens & Interiors
    7年前

Silestone in 2 different colours

• leannethomas
    7年前
    We have dekton. It's great. Extremely durable and hard wearing and you can put virtually anything on it e.g. Hot pans, cleaners etc.
  • PRO
    Kontour
    7年前

Quartz , silestone a winner with our clients at Kontour.

• PRO
    Dual Designs
    6年前

Generally it has to be Quartz, though we do love others, as sometimes they can give the right feel for the design you want. Different metals can look amazing and Quartz can't replicate these. We are just starting a project that has mainly Quartz but one side of the island will be copper . . . Can't wait to see the finished look