Houzz Logo Print
italiangal001

Which railing (balustrade) is nicer ?? 1 or 2

Want something that looks really nice & modern - tall metal posts or glass??

コメント (48)

• LesleyH
    7年前
    I like imabe 1.
    Italian GirlさんはLesleyHさんにお礼を言いました
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

U don't think it looks a little like a jail ?

• oklouise
    7年前

prefer enclosed space under stairs with steel balustrade and angled hand rail

• robandlyn
    7年前

For looks I like glass....but I wouldn't want to be doing that cleaning.

• LesleyH
    7年前
    I think image one looks very contemporary.
  • philippawright
    7年前

Have you considered the same idea as the poles but in wood - can look really sharp.

It will also depend on the ceiling heights as the two pictures are different.

Think about cleaning especially if you have glass a sa balustrade and finger marks.

Italian Girlさんはphilippawrightさんにお礼を言いました
  • antonia_d
    7年前
    I prefer the posts to glass. The posts would also look great in timber which would compliment your stairs nicely. There are quite a few pictures in Houzz that show this. Having glass would mean constant cleaning, especially if there is no handrail as people will place their hands on the glass to balance themselves whilst using the stairs.
    Italian Girlさんはantonia_dさんにお礼を言いました
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

My Sister said the same thing antonia_d, but the thing is, i'm not in to the timber look, everyone thinks I'm nuts...I'm kinda getting to like it a little more tho after doing so much research for my new build. If i was to get glass, i would put a handrail on top of the glass.

Do you have the link to the photos for the timber posts?I can't seem to find them.....

• PRO
    User
    7年前

I think it depends on the style of the rest of your home when deciding on the balustrade, but from these two pictures I prefer the metal rods. They look great with the white and black. The metallic look wouldn't work as well with the wooden steps.

• PRO
    User
    7年前

Here's a couple of images of wooden railing balustrades with wooden treads.

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7年前

But in timber like Dela Marie has posted. Otherwise steel.

Glass is overused and getting a bit yawn.....

• antonia_d
    7年前
    I've attached a few timber screens for you. I've also found a screen with metal rods which I really like. I think it's less shiny than what you originally posted.
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thank you! :) Love this last one a lot

• LesleyH
    7年前
    I do too. This would be a lovely feature.
    Italian GirlさんはLesleyHさんにお礼を言いました
  • hagan_38
    7年前
    Yep I agree that last photo is gorgeous.
    Italian Girlさんはhagan_38さんにお礼を言いました
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

DO u guys think it's nice looking than glass??

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7年前

Well and truly better than glass. Glass can be quite bland.

Italian GirlさんはMB Design & Draftingさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Love Coming Home
    7年前

1. Far more dramatic - looks fabulous.

The glass has no character

Italian GirlさんはLove Coming Homeさんにお礼を言いました
  • hagan_38
    7年前
    Much better than glass. Looks stunning. Will be very impressive.
    Italian Girlさんはhagan_38さんにお礼を言いました
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thank you so much to you all :) Appreciate it a lot!!! :)

• PRO
    User
    7年前

Would love to see what you end up with! Hope to see some pictures :)

• me me
    7年前

I like either, but i would definitely like a hand rail to help with getting up and down the stairs.

Italian Girlさんはme meさんにお礼を言いました
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I wanted to avoid putting a hand rail on the wall...but looks like I need to put one!! :(

• antonia_d
    7年前
    Unfortunately I think you will need too. I've attached a few photos I found in either black, depending on the colour of your stringer; or the same colour as the tension wire. Have you thought about lighting on the staircase? Step lights or even LED strip lighting at each step would look great.
    Italian Girlさんはantonia_dさんにお礼を言いました
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Nice...yeah, we r having step lights, there will also be down lights there too...but the i-beam will be in white, so i guess the hand rail will be white too...walls are white too, so it will all blend :)

• Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

SO FAR....The bit in the middle will be painted white

• Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

there's 3 cut outs on the wall for the step lights, can u see them??

• LesleyH
    7年前
    What about silver metal handrail to match the metal horizontal bars.
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I'd rather get white and blend it into the wall

• LesleyH
    7年前
    Not sure that will go with the modern look but you could be right.
  • hagan_38
    7年前
    I would have also suggested silver slim line hand rail to tie in with bars. Modern looking and classy :)
  • antonia_d
    7年前
    I think the step lights will light up your staircase really nicely.
  • wuff
    7年前
    I like number one ..number two looks a bit dated and hard to clean .. just my ideas
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Cannot convince anyone about the long beam look...even my builder, which is my cousin...says No way and to go with the glass look!!! Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!

• PRO
    User
    7年前

If you love it, then go for it. Not being mean to your cousin, but is he paying for the work and materials and going to be living in the house...if not, stick to your guns. BTW, make sure you check with your local authorities what the regulations are with balustrades. There'll most likely be a measurement that the gaps between beams will have to be.

Italian GirlさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Hubby prefers the glass look too...he says it's timeless and much modern looking ..........

• PRO
    A & T Cabinet Makers
    7年前

I like the glass, you can add drama to the wall of the staircase

Italian GirlさんはA & T Cabinet Makersさんにお礼を言いました
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

hahaha dear oh me

• antonia_d
    7年前
    I think the tension wire is more modern than glass. It adds a point of difference to your home, rather than it being the same as every other staircase.
  • robandlyn
    7年前

Will your cousin or hubby do all the cleaning glass will require to keep it looking good!!!!!?????

Italian Girlさんはrobandlynさんにお礼を言いました
  • Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

hahaha hubby says he will help out...but working 16 hours a day like he does, i doubt that he will have the time!! I need to decide soon with this, still in 2 minds and have no idea what to do!! Geeez!

• PRO
    User
    7年前

Perhaps you could have both but in a different way. Have glass balustrades and do the wooden battens on the actual walls?

Is there another area in your renovations that you and hubby have different views on - you might be able to barter, let him have his choice on the other issue and you get the wooden balustrades? lol Worth a try :)

• LesleyH
    7年前
    Builders, and especially cousins, should not dictate how your house should look. He probably doesn't like the extra work. If you ever intend on having children, or if you have them now, imagine the daily fingermarks. This alone would put me off.
  • annb1997
    7年前

I like both ideas, however think it's good to consider the practical as well as the aesthetic you are wanting. Consider your space and picture how each would look in the space you have. To throw a few more ideas at you, here are a few pics I just found on Houzz. There are certainly some very cool designs happening in the architectural world. Just decide what moves YOU and to heck with what a builder thinks-it's not his house (even if he is a relative). :)

• Italian Girl
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

How do you think this looks?? with the glass and matching railing?? If i was to do glass, this is how I would want to do my railing as apposed to putting one on the wall

LET ME KNOW GUYS.................... ?

• hagan_38
    7年前
    That photo looks better but I personally still prefer the tension wire.
  • PRO
    User
    7年前

If you're going with glass, I prefer the hand rail on top of the glass. I wouldn't have it rounded though, get it cut so the profile is more harmonious with the treads.