Houzz Logo Print
merakihomestaging

How important do you think Home Staing is when selling a home?

Meraki Home Staging, LLC would like to here from you! Please tell us how important you think Home Staging is when selling a home! Also, feel free to ask any questions or reach out to us at (407)636-2060

14306 Laurelton · 詳細

Very important
Somewhat important
Not that important
Not important at all

コメント (32)

• chloebud
    7年前

It can really depend on individual markets. We've been through buying/selling several times with our own homes and rental/investment properties. For the most part, staging wasn't nearly as important as cleaning and decluttering.

• PRO
    Meraki Home Staging, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Hi! Thanks so much for your input. What market are you in?
  • chloebud
    7年前

You're welcome...we're in Southern CA. The last property we sold was in 2013. It was empty when we put it on the market. All we did was make sure it was really clean. It sold quickly for well over the asking price.

• PRO
    Meraki Home Staging, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Awesome! Southern CA?! Always heard great things about where you are!

Have you ever used Staging at all?
  • chloebud
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Honestly, we've never sold any properties that weren't completely empty, so far. I realize Southern CA can be a different market, to say the least. Bidding wars aren't uncommon with homes in our area. It still astounds me to see what something like $800K can buy in other parts of the country.

Don't get me wrong; I do understand how staging can be advantageous, depending on the market.

• PRO
    Meraki Home Staging, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    You're absolutely right! As far as the pricing, it always amazes me as well when I see what 300K will get you in CA. I'm originally from Virginia Beach, VA and 800K is a 5 bedroom home on the water!

But Staging is very helpful and I do agree that it is more or less needed in certain markets than others.
  • Beth Henry
    7年前
    When I go into a home I am possibly interested in, I want it to be clean and EMPTY! I don't want to see other people's furnishings or anything in the home. This gives me a better idea of how I could possibly use the space.
    Meraki Home Staging, LLCさんはBeth Henryさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7年前

It's not essential, but certainly can help.

• Bailey R
    7年前

It helps with unimaginative buyers. However, where I live houses are bought for location & most are then remodeled by the buyers. (Coastal So Cal)

• bhindman39
    7年前

when we sold our home May 2016 (7 mos ago) we cleaned it out, it was repainted and new carpet laid then staged. It sold in 2 days. The staging really helped people to see the potential. It also helped us to realize it was no longer our home. During the cleaning out process (we were downsizing to 1200 s. ft). it was very hard to let go of so many things.

Meraki Home Staging, LLCさんはbhindman39さんにお礼を言いました
  • User
    7年前

Staging is a definite plus. In our market (Austin TX), it's common. In ny neighborhood, the top production Realtors offer it as part of their service. About the only time you don't see staging is when the home is an obvious total gut/tear down, in a hot neighborhood- again, very common in many city center neighborhoods.

Apparently, though, this can be a touchy subject with some homeowners. As a local Realtor says, "What to say to a homeowner who talks of painting/staging, for a house that nearly all buyers are attracted to for the value of the dirt, alone?" It can be a fine line between encouraging a homeowner that pre-sale prep is barely needed to get top dollar AND offending somebody who's been in their home for decades.

Meraki Home Staging, LLCさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Meraki Home Staging, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I do think that it is dependent on the specific market you are in and can be an added bonus. I have seen where staging has helped a home sell more quickly than expected. Fact is, most buyers, not all, but most buyers are not visionary and staging does help them with an idea of how a space can be used. I think it also can emphasize how furniture can be arranged as well.

• PRO
    A Good Eye Curated Decor
    7年前

Hi Meraki - I've been encouraged by my real estate agent (sold my home 2.5 yrs ago) to go into home staging based on my decorating skills in my previous home and what I've done to my new home..plus I absolutely love decorating. My question to you is how would you suggest I get started? I live on the North Shore of Long Island NY. I would appreciate any input as I have researched several training programs and also feel I would prefer to have a partner.

• PRO
    Meraki Home Staging, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

@lisakasp. Feel free to send me a message and we could chat over the phone and I can give you some tips as to what I did and how I got started. (407) 636-2060 !

• Momof5x
    7年前

It seems to be a trend these days to stage a home when selling. I answered this same question a while back and, personally, if I was looking at a house for myself, I'd like it empty, to see the bones of the house so to say and concentrate on that.

However, I can now see that many people like to see it staged to get an idea of how a home could be and this helps them with their planning of furniture layout too. So, I think it depends on the person really.

Also, true, that most people will look out for the building structure , how clean it is or has it been decluttered.

Meraki Home Staging, LLCさんはMomof5xさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Lakeside Studio Staging & Design
    7年前
    I have been a Florida. Licensed Realtor since the early 90's. I worked for a Custom Home Builder in Central Florida when the market took a nose dive, the builder was unable to spend the thousands of $ to Stage his speculation homes. After having the vacant models sitting on the market for months & months, an associate & I, decided to Stage one of the homes with furnishings that were designed & used in a home in a different community. We went to storage & retrieved many items. After the 2nd or 3rd day of Staging, with just some tweaking left to do, we received a contract. Hence, we began using our plan on the next home. same thing happened again & again. After experiencing this for myself, I created Lakeside Studio Staging & Design.
    As a Realtor for many years, I realized you don't really "sell" a home. it is a feeling people get when they walk through the front door. They know if they can picture themselves living there. Staging helps to create an atmosphere where they can picture themselves there, along with the desire to call this place home.
  • PRO
    Meraki Home Staging, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    I wholeheartedly agree! Which builder did you work with?
  • PRO
    7年前
    Bradford Building Corp.
  • PRO
    Tropicality Decor
    7年前

I would consider decluttering and cleaning as part of the staging process, the most important part.

• chiflipper
    7年前

I am one of that prefers seeing an empty space. That said, my experience has shown that most people need to see a "staged" home.

• PRO
    7年前

It is easier for most people to be able to gauge the size of a room when it is furnished. Typically a room appears smaller to most when it is vacant.

• chloebud
    7年前

Lakeside Studio, I agree vacant spaces do tend to look smaller. I've always found that interesting. Seems they should look larger, but I guess furnished rooms provide focal points that change the feeling of the space...?

• Belahn
    7年前

I personally like to look at an empty house. I can visualize very well and have definite ideas about what I want and what I will do with rooms so I don't need it suggested to me and I don't like to look at other people's things. With that said, I have staged the last 2 houses I sold because most people have no vision and need to be told that "this is a bedroom" etc. It absolutely helps. I look at houses for sale around here all the time (southwest US) and I WISH people would not only stage but would de-clutter and clean. Why don't people know to get rid of all their personal photos, clear the counter tops and put the lid down on the toilet seat when taking pictures of the house to put on the internet or to be shown?! In answer to your question, yes, I think staging is important in most cases.

• PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    7年前

Absolutely stage the home. It helps clients to visualize how to optimize the space and make it look really impressive. Even the most minimal amount will help.

• myownstyle13
    7年前

I also prefer an empty house. I really don't like seeing other people's stuff in my potential future house. I wouldn't be able to get that out of my head...

I need to see an empty space to visualize where to put MY furniture.

• sandi125
    7年前
    A home stager told me that cleaning and decluttering are the main part of staging from her perspective. I agree, as I have sold multiple houses. Make a home seem open, airy and clean. Remove anything that impedes traffic flow/obstructs view. I don't think there is anything wrong with personal pictures----just keep them small and minimal. You don't need 8×10 or larger pictures of family/friends. Have healthy, live plants. They add warmth to a room. Display clean, fresh towels in the bathroom and hide personal toiletries. Most important----price it right for your market!
  • PRO
    Meraki Home Staging, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Wow! Thanks so much everyone for all your input. Your opinions are greatly valued. Cleaning and decluttering absolutely helps and is the first part to staging. If the room is crowed and not cleaned, the beautiful furniture will make no difference.

• PRO
    Just In Time Solutions
    7年前

Hi I believe Home Staging can really help a sale of a home. We work with many realtors as Certified Professional Organizers. They have us come in and assist in the storage areas, clutter parts of home and then have the Stagers come in and make it look amazing. What we always tell our market is that people come into your home and look in closets, kitchen and vanity cupboards, basement storage and garage. If your storage areas area full to the brim or not neat and tidy, they automatically think there is not enough storage. What we help our selling clients do is go through and purge what they no longer want and then box and store what they are not going to need for the next few months while selling. This clears space and assist in the appearance of the home.

• PRO
    JL's Home Hardware Building Centre
    7年前

Designers can appreciate a blank canvas but when advising clients selling their home and wanting to stuff it with décor they like to stage the home, I remind them that the listed property is no longer their home and it's not about them. Most buyers are not visual people and some staging helps. Making sure the home is decluttered and clean also goes a long way. Presentation is everything and sellers should aim to reduce any possible negative comments from potential buyers. You're not trying to distract from any flaws of an empty house but enhancing it. An empty older house with every room painted white should raise a red flag. I agree that staging depends on the market area but also buyer expectations especially when properties are priced on the higher side and not in central suburbia where bidding wars take place. I also advise clients that investing a little for minor renovations, if required, and staging helps them make the best impression.

• PRO
    Meraki Home Staging, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I see the diversity in opinions and I am quite thankful for everyones input on this subject!

• PRO
    Meraki Home Staging, LLC
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

@JL's Home Hardware Building Centre, Very well said! Most buyers have a hard time seeing what a space can be and staging helps them turn on the imagination they never knew they really had!