Houzz Logo Print
isidora_markovic90

Concrete floors - love it or leave it?

Concrete floors tend to polarise opinion. Objectively they do have their perks - they aren’t susceptible to water damage like hardwood flooring is, they are a great choice for those who want underfloor heating and when polished, they can create a high end, elegant look. Others find them too clinical compared to the richness wood grain offers, or too industrial, detracting from the overall warmth of a house.

Dorset Stable Conversion · 詳細

My love of industrial interiors makes me a fan, but I’m interested to know - concrete floors: love them or leave them? Was anyone opposed but swayed by their practicality?

Leave them!
Love them!
Other - let us know below

コメント (22)

• PRO
    Conscious Forms
    7年前

love them with the right sealer

• PRO
    magmafirepits
    7年前

I make cast concrete surfaces, concrete is very versatile!

• minnie101
    7年前

Love. I tend to find them quite warm as they can give the appearance of texture. They still come second to a herringbone parquet though :)

• Emmeline Westin
    7年前

Totally agree @minnie101 - herringbone parquet is the dream!

• PRO
    GOATER JONES London Ltd
    7年前

you might like this project

Norland Square · 詳細

• PRO
    Green Feet Decorators
    7年前

prefer lime or clay! Because better radiant heat with under floor heating. Also better feeling and textured range of finishes.

• PRO
    Oasys Property Solutions
    7年前

Many clients initially express an interest in concrete flooring. However, when the cost is revealed concrete-effect ceramic tiles become the favoured option.

96HR Extensions, remodelling & refurbishment · 詳細

39UCR Extension and remodelling · 詳細

22NR Single storey rear extension, remodelling & refurbishment · 詳細

• PRO
    Mid-Century Online
    7年前

I love concrete, stunning in the right setting. Partial to herringbone parquet too.....

• User
    7年前
    Bland, clinical, cold and grey. Nope.
  • rightwing
    7年前

Reminds me of the 1940's when carpet was a real luxury and almost everyone had concrete floors.

• radicalman
    7年前

OK but

I have seen many concrete floors particularly in California and strongly considered one for my new kitchen BUT and it is a big BUT they are too prone to hairline cracks which in my view totally ruins the effect. In USA the larger concrete floors are often split up with attractive wooden inserts.

• PRO
    Sphere8
    7年前

Got to agree with radicalman - there are actually a lot of downsides to a concrete floor. Because they're so brittle and hard they are almost guaranteed to crack - they're also very cold and unforgiving underfoot. We offer a poured resin that is just 3-4mm thick and is so similar looking to concrete a lot of people can't tell the difference. Essentially we pour two pigments at the same time and blend them so you get the same finish/effect - but it's warm, smooth, soft (elastic) and really comfortable so you can walk around your home/kitchen etc. barefoot without worrying about it! Aesthetically though I love a polished concrete floor - such a great blank canvas for any style as it complements contemporary interiors and provides a really interesting contrast with more traditional styles! If you want a warmer finish (in a taupey grey or warmer pigment) that's also possible and stops it looking too industrial...

HomeSphere · 詳細

English country home with resin floors · 詳細

Open Plan Family Home in Surrey · 詳細

London Home with Architecture for London · 詳細

• Jonathan
    7年前
    Not keen...... All it needs is an oil stain and it could be the floor of my Dads garage.
    This is not a material that makes me think of comfort, or elegance, or quality so in my opinion belongs outside of my home.
  • PRO
    In Ex Design
    7年前

We love polished concrete floors. We find they are popular with client's for our rural projects, practical and hard wearing!

• PRO
    none
    7年前

Concrete floors are beautiful but not necessarily the most cost-effective solution predominantly down to the polishing apparatus rather than the actual materials. For larger rooms they can offer a wonderful alternative to conventional flooring.

• PRO
    Stone Worktops
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Well made, properly polished, finished and sealed concrete makes for a beautiful and practical floor. It shares a lot of advantages with natural stone, and offers more versatile colour (definitely not just grey!) and grind options. Moreover, using polished concrete floor tiles/panels will make the installation process easier, less likely to crack, easier to replace in case any damage might occur and also potentially allows for using grouting for aesthetic purposes.

• Tara Little
    4年前

My brother had one installed in his new entry way that links to their garage. It's highly polished with a beautiful copper colour. It was difficult to get right but it's beautiful and so practical for snowy Vermont winters. I'll try to get a picture. My point is it definitely doesn't have to be industrial grey.

• PRO
    Arlington Interiors
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

We think they look stunning in the right setting.

Concrete floors really worked in one of our recent projects...

Barn conversion - Black & Magic Grey handle-less kitchen · 詳細

• PRO
    Tower Ceramics Ltd
    4年前

In the right setting they can look awesome.

• PRO
    VMDSTUDIO LTD
    4年前

I'm more on the side of the wood floor

• PRO
    Expand & Build Ltd
    4年前

Love them but only when they have been finished, sealed and polished properly.