Houzz Logo Print
ginny_robinson87

This room needs some life added... Please help, where to start?

We have recently redone our family room. I love this space but it definitely needs more "life" art, bits and pieces etc . At the other end of this picture is a floating cupboard and built in gas fireplace. I love so many things which makes it hard to make a decision. Table top is not complete (will be similar colour to floor with parquetry laid timber).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

コメント (35)

• bigreader
    7年前
    Yay you for getting a decent size rug.
    Ginny Robinsonさんはbigreaderさんにお礼を言いました
  • isabellapatt96
    7年前
    Some artwork on that back wall with potential downlight facing could add some real depth to the room. Eg. The concept on the Right hand side of this photo
    Ginny Robinsonさんはisabellapatt96さんにお礼を言いました
  • Emma
    7年前

A nice artwork for the wall behind the long couch?

• PRO
    Cordony Group
    7年前

Looks amazing so far!

All the artwork in our styling pictured is from Designer Boys.

These can be purchased online at https://www.designerboyscollections.com/however their site is only available for viewing by trade customers- which we have access to.

We'd love to help out!

To get in contact: 1300 669 590 or kahlia@cordonydesigns.com.au

Nelson Street, Chatswood · 詳細

Nelson Street, Chatswood · 詳細

Raymond Street, Neutral Bay · 詳細

Crana Avenue East Lindfield · 詳細

Cross Street, Pymble · 詳細

High Street, Willoughby · 詳細

High Street, Willoughby · 詳細

McIntyre St, Gordon · 詳細
    Cross Street, Pymble · 詳細

• PRO
    Colour Confidence Interiors
    7年前

Hi Ginny,

I use a lot of Designer Boys art where possible too and am actually taking the catalogue to a client's home in the morning for her to select from.

I would suggest that you have enough 'neutrals' going on and actually need to bring it a 'hit' of colour. A rule of 60/30/10 % is a good one to use and you just need the 10% to complete the styling.

I can see a small amount of mustard/yellow in a scatter cushion on the right - if this is your preferred 10% hit of colour then you need to bring small amounts of that across the room and into the artwork over the 3 seat sofa to balance the scene.

A small decor item with the colour on the table would help too and help determine the direction of your style - classical, rustic, retro, contemporary, provincial, etc...

Also a floor lamp in the corner to add something at 'human' scale and warm ambient light.

It's the little things now that will make such a difference and add the personality to the room.

This is where you should have a bit of fun with it.

Good luck, let me know if you'd like some help.

Cheers,

Michelle

• KK1000
    7年前
    It's a beautiful big room that needs 2-3large pieces. I don't know what you like but I will just show you few things I think would go in there. (Not all of them). Pendant lights above coffee table or in the corner of the room.
    Ginny RobinsonさんはKK1000さんにお礼を言いました
  • KK1000
    7年前
    Large plants in a large pot, floor lamps..
    Ginny RobinsonさんはKK1000さんにお礼を言いました
  • KK1000
    7年前
    More exciting lamps
  • KK1000
    7年前
    Check out post " our new living room " I love what they did with artwork, something like that you could have above your couch on the long wall.
  • Ginny Robinson
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas. Some great tips.
  • PRO
    Anoushka Allum Design
    7年前
    You're room is shaping up well.

The reason it feels unfinished is because all of the pieces are sitting at the same height level. Bring in a good height floor light, oversized art above the sofa and a 1.7m plant to create different heights this will give the room more interest. Maybe even floor to ceiling curtains! Hope this helps.
    Anoushka - SmartSpace Interiors
    Ginny RobinsonさんはAnoushka Allum Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • melinperth
    7年前

I just think a bigger plant, some art or colour on the wall. It's lovely, well done!

Ginny Robinsonさんはmelinperthさんにお礼を言いました
  • C P
    7年前
    Also, any chance of bringing your sofas into the room more so they're not looking like spinsters at a country dance?
    Ginny RobinsonさんはC Pさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ginny Robinson
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thank you Jen Osborne, you are very clever.
  • PRO
    My Decorator
    7年前
    Hi Ginny - Your room has fantastic bones, great work so far. You could definitely add some artwork that is 2/3rds the size of your lounge - don't skimp on the size or you'll lose the needed impact, choose art that you personally feel a connection with too. Also add some height with an indoor plant. Maybe bring in a pop of colour with a new throw. Curtains will ad softness and contrast with your coffee table. Pop in a few lamps to bring some mood lighting, don't underestimate how much difference this can make. Carefully selected decorator items of varying heights, shapes and textures for your coffee table will finish the look perfectly. Good luck with it, let us know if we can help further!!! Prue
    Ginny RobinsonさんはMy Decoratorさんにお礼を言いました
  • wuff
    7年前

Large plants was going as going to be my suggestion..I like the idea of feature pendants as well.

Ginny Robinsonさんはwuffさんにお礼を言いました
  • annb1997
    7年前

Another plant near the one you have, but much taller. I agree with other suggestions. All good ideas.

Ginny Robinsonさんはannb1997さんにお礼を言いました
  • petapea
    7年前

Maybe an interesting round ottoman, or a floor cushion or two? I like the room very much :)

Ginny Robinsonさんはpetapeaさんにお礼を言いました
  • Mwenje
    7年前

l love the room and the grey couch is everything!! l think you need something a bit funky, i totally agree about the yellow. Maybe something with yellow artwork, yellow cushions...

Ginny RobinsonさんはMwenjeさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ginny Robinson
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Where does one buy these large indoor plants. I have looked a several different nurseries but have had no luck?

• annb1997
    7年前

Ginny, you might try asking the owner of a nursery if you can special order an advanced plant. Or Google which ones do this. They tend to be fairly expensive as some are slow growers and so a lot of time and effort has gone into them, but if it's the instant look you are after and you possess a green thumb to keep it alive, then it may be worth it to you. Otherwise (and this is what I do), purchase smaller and raise the pot up on a tall plant holder and then patiently wait for it to grow. Another idea is to purchase a really good artificial plant, but others can comment about who stocks them. Best wishes!

• KK1000
    7年前
    I bought my plants at Bunnings, you might have to visit few shops but they are cheaper then nurseries and if you are after the fiddle leaf plant ( the one with big oval leaves) good news is they grow fast so get a large decorator pot, don't plant in it just keep your plant in the cheap black pot and pot up in the same just bigger when the time comes. Make sure your nice pot doesn't have holes at the bottom so you don't ruin your floor when watering. Good luck show us your progress.
  • PRO
    Gallery 360
    7年前

We have a massive database of images sourced from suppliers all around the globe and take great pride in sourcing customised suggestions for all of our clients artwork needs. Choosing art is very personal but we hope you like our suggestions for possible imagery to complete your interior. If you would like pricing or sizing details, please contact the gallery.

• PRO
    Birch & Loom
    7年前

Its a lovely room - I'd include a table or floor lamp for ambient lighting and introduce a touch of rich or contrasting pops of colour either on wall art or textiles. Could consider textile wall hangings as these can be cheaper than buying artwork, and have gorgeous texture. Good luck and hope you post your solutions!

• apple32226
    7年前
    روعه
  • KK1000
    7年前
    For a bit of colour you can get this from Coco republic
  • girlguides
    7年前
    Seriously just one lamp standard or on table and art on one wall is enough and would look sensational
  • PRO
    Morel Construction Ltd
    7年前

Definitely art work! But i also love the idea of getting a big plant right in the corner. If you match some colored pillows with the art work it would lift the whole room. By the way your huge rug is awesome!

• jaydub0
    7年前

Often large plants can be found in garage sales. People moving out of the country or state often give them up for a song. Try Gumtree, there are loads on there.

• rwalton5
    7年前

Will you want to put your feet up when sitting?

• sunnyplace27
    7年前

Hi Ginny, What a great room! Artwork always adds personality, ambience and interest to a room. Please see attached some images of your room with some original artwork by Australian artist all of which are available on hatch-d. Artwork depends on your personality and the size and lighting in your room. I'd be very happy to help you find the right pieces for your room at a great price. Just email me through the website and we can start an obligation free conversation. Best, Jacqui

• PRO
    archimondo
    7年前

Do all the the other things mentioned but please, please paint the ceiling a different colour than white, even if it is the same colour as the wall.

Or one of the walls, because yo have no cornice you could wrap a vibrant colour up the wall and over the ceiling and have the muted tones on the remaining three walls.

• Nora Giulia
    7年前
    Lamps, vibrant art, colorful window shades and shelving is all I can think of right now. The room has neutral, soft colors with some bright pillows. So maybe add some more pop! It'll brighten up the room.
  • ritevibe
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

your gorgeous timber floors look Amaaa-zing!! ( said with Oprah Winfrey voice ) as is your huge rug. Well done. Apart from artwork and plants etc.... one thing which i think would totally transform your room is getting rid of the roller blinds above those 2 windows, and replacing with timber plantation shutters.

The moment you start...it will just all flow together. Have fun!

Anth.