Houzz Logo Print
dkrussell

Need help with flooring color & overhead light.

dkrussell
7年前

Should the floor contrast with the cabinet & beam color like the wide plant honey oak or be similar in color like the hickory, as in attached photos? We also need a light that will hang between the beams but not block the TV that will be over the console table. Advice please!

コメント (19)

• PRO
    Michael Menn Ltd.
    7年前

My recommendation is to contrast the flooring. When you try to blend, unless you get it exact - it may look bad. As it relates to the hanging light fixture, it depends on whether you want something linear and contemporary or something traditional.

dkrussellさんはMichael Menn Ltd.さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.
    7年前

I would contrast as well- the flooring on the left looks like you are trying to match the cabinets to closely- Is there a flooring in between the two on the floor in the picture you could look into?

dkrussellさんはImperial Flooring Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • dkrussell
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

We could keep looking around, these are the two we like the best. My husband really likes the wide plank honey Oak so he is happy with your advice.

• dkrussell
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

As far as light fixtures I would like something contemporary, this is such a small room and I don't want it to hang too low so it does not hang in front of the TV. I like to watch TV while I cook so I need to be able to see the TV from the kitchen.

• PRO
    Inner Visions Interiors
    7年前

A light floor that is similar in color to the counter would add some brightness to your space. I suggest using another recessed light over the counter area to give the illusion of a higher ceiling. . Anything dangling will block your TV view and make the ceiling height seem lower.

• PRO
    dkrussellさんはRL Relocation LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7年前

Vaxcel SP53518DB 4-Light Spiral Rod Spot Light Dark Bronze · 詳細

dkrussellさんはRL Relocation LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • dkrussell
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Would the light get locked between the beams with a light like this? I thought I would have to have something that dropped down below the beams to light up the room.

• Erica Stapleton
    7年前
    I like the flooring on the right best . And for lighting , as it's a small area ... have you thought of a nice ceiling fan light kit or a semi flush mount light ?
  • Erica Stapleton
    7年前
    Scratch the ceiling fan idea .. the space is too small . Sorry just noticed
    dkrussellさんはErica Stapletonさんにお礼を言いました
  • dkrussell
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Yes it is a very small dark area!

• dkrussell
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks for the pictures, I really appreciate it! I have trouble visualizing how it will look!

• Erica Stapleton
    7年前
    I would go with a semi flush mount . That should help .
  • Erica Stapleton
    7年前
    And yes agree With the rail lighting .
  • grapefruit1_ar
    7年前

Ceiling light is not needed in a seating area.....use lamps instead. An overhead light is very harsh.

dkrussellさんはgrapefruit1_arさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7年前

As a suggestion for the light, keep in mind that if it's directly between the couch and the TV, you'll want something that won't be too distractingly bright for the person watching TV from the couch. Any type of recessed lighting, or something that even hides behind one of the beams would look great!

dkrussellさんはGerety Building and Restorationさんにお礼を言いました
  • dkrussell
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

We can not put recessed lighting in the little living room area because there is no room, we have a 2 story home. Rail or semi flush mount could work. I guess everyone agrees on me going with the lighter floor in the picture? It seems to blend with the counter color to me.....

• Erica Stapleton
    7年前
    This is just my preference but, we have a light counter and similar colored cabinets . We went with Hand scraped light hickory and absolutely love it . Gives great contrast and get tons of compliments. Remember to always go with what you like . You're the one that has to live with it . Do what makes you happy and is appealing to your eyes .