Houzz Logo Print
jaygay

Black Trim Drama

jaygay
7年前
Need help choosing new exterior paint color on old house and detached garage with asbestos siding and BLACK trim. Trying to improve curb appeal. Do I spend more money paining out the black trim?

コメント (29)

• PRO
    Ted DeFazio
    7年前
    You can try painting the window trim and waist band white. Leave the front door black.
  • Claudianne Young
    7年前
    I think it looks beautiful. Maybe add decorative gate and paint chimneys black.
  • janedoe2012
    7年前
    The problem is the black trim and the white replacement windows. When you have windows with between the lane, or snap-in muntins, they should match the trim, to de-emphasize them. So I would go with white trim.
  • Geneviève
    7年前

Chateaux Monogram Doormat, 18"x30", Natural, Black, Letter J · 詳細

• Geneviève
    7年前

More general images for Houzz.com · 詳細

• Geneviève
    7年前

you could replace the house number with this if you like

Aluminum Script House Number, Five, 11.25"x5.25" · 詳細

• Jennifer Havin
    7年前
    I also like the black trim
  • K
    7年前
    I agree to paint the trim another color. Something just seems dated or distracting the way it is. What color ideas do you have? Now other love it so it is your decision. I vote to paint it for better curb appeal.
  • purrmichigan
    7年前

The black trim is too severe, a mid-gray/green/blue would be brighter and more current. Main problem I see are the overgrown shrubs. The one large shrub should be removed and the smaller need to be trimmed by 1/3.. Use shutters for privacy instead of shrubs.

• Geneviève
    7年前

Trimming the shrubs will give your place a manicured look , green is nature's colour and brings life to our surroundings , if you need privacy in the lower level install some sort of blinds or semi sheers for the window , black and white really works for your home .its elegant and timeless.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7年前

I love the black trim IMO it totally suits the house much better than any other color

• decoenthusiaste
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Since the roof is black, I could live with the black trim, but I'd have to remove the clumpy overgrown hedges and the chain link fence. The right style of fence will make or break this home, and the one you have now is a break. Wrought iron, as in the photo Genevieve posted, would be a real plus and would increase the home's value.

• flopsycat1
    7年前

Agree with most of the previous posts- black is the best color for the trim. Off white or very light grey for the siding. I think that removing the very large shrub in the front will be a big improvement, and trim the rest. Colorful flowers in the urns. It's a lovely house.

( BTW, don't use Genevieve's house number, it will only confuse guests and the postman. Use this instead: )

• Geneviève
    7年前

Good idea flopsycat! :))

Bad idea, is to remove the shrub , just give it a good trim

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7年前

i vote to leave the black. I love black and white homes and the black suits your home. Can you paint the door a different color? Something brighter will bring in some much needed color. I agree about the house numbers. The over grown hedges for sure need trimming or just pull them out, and the old chain link needs to go! What would really look cool is a pair of gargoyles just underneath the portico. If they could be holding lanterns, use them for lighting and lose the tiny one you have above the mail box.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7年前

This is black trim when it's executed correctly. See if it's possible to correct your home.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7年前

I see what you mean about the mullions Beverly. Yes. it does make quite a difference. more dramatic. But I don't necessarily think it looks bad when they are left white. Depends on the house I guess. That house in your first pic is gorgeous.

• PRO
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7年前

Just an FYI

Mullion: A large vertical member separating two casements; the vertical bar between coupled windows or mulitple windows; the central vertical member of a double-door opening.

Muntin: one of the thin strips of wood used for holding panes of glass within a window.

I love the house and the black trim…notice Genevieve’s posted picture and how the house in not cut in half by the black trim. I think that would be an improvement and trimmed hedges. Someone did a good job fitting the garage onto the property.

Victorians…love them.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7年前

sigh,,,muntins then. my bad. maybe I just should have said, "black trim in the window" like everyone else!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7年前

I would even love it all black. I am a fool for Victorians.

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7年前

I would paint the gable with the window in the third story a soft gray... and follow thru with it in other areas too... It is too harsh the way it is... you also need lights and paint the entry doors dark red, or gray...

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7年前

Judy, I'm mulling over those definitions.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7年前

Judy, don't forget the gargoyles! Or are you mulling it over? that house is cool. Although, I expect Morticia and Gomez to exit the front door!

• purrmichigan
    7年前

Remove that shrub, there's no trimming back something that overgrown when it needs to be 1/3 of the present size. The trim in a medium gray would accomplish some of the designs of above opinions w/o creating a severe and chopped look. Some of the inspiration photos depict a larger home which changes how the black trim appears on facade.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7年前

Gargoyles, I am familiar…this one hangs off one of the old buildings at Boston College…never sure what she was looking at…maybe Doug Flutie?

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7年前

Can't see the pic, Judy. Try putting it up again?

• Geneviève
    7年前

Blair Castle Sculptural Gargoyle Bench · 詳細