Houzz Logo Print
jsy0013

need decorating advice

jsy0013
11年前
Large empty living room with grayish/brown walls. Modern taste. The fireplace could use some help too. Need advice on layout and wall decor. The hubby and I have totally different tastes and can't agree on anything. Budget of $1000 (not big I know....). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

コメント (30)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11年前
    Painting the walls would be the most economical option while providing the most dramatic change / update.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11年前
    Painting the brick will give it life- change out the gold insert to a more contemporary black.
    Modern Living Room · 詳細
    Add another piece of artwork on the other side of the FP to give symmetry. A cool area rug- it's hard to tell what color your sofa is, but i think a blue would look nice. I think there is a blue in your art work. Or maybe blue curtains?
    Martha Stewart Living Fretwork Area Rug · 詳細
    Navy Blue Ombré Pillow Cover by Just Dwell · 詳細
    Kublai Blue Pillow · 詳細
    Yacht Blue, Cream, Java Ikat Curtains by Sew Panache · 詳細
  • Linda Stewart_Ryder
    11年前
    I think an easy fix would be adding a substantial mantel to the fire place. One deep enough to add accessories, hang a mirror or colorful painting over too. You can design your own mantel to suit your style by locating a finisher. different moldings are put together to produce the mantel, prefab and ready to hang on your fireplace brick.
  • carole
    11年前
    you have a nice mix of furniture and colors there,i like the painting/print with the bright colors,in that you can see how lots of colors work well together.
    the style of your room looks more transional than modern,but that could be because (as is with us) you and your husband have such different tastes,still no reason not to have a room you both like!! the walls could be in a green to complement the "yellow"FP,change some details on the fireplace and pull together the brown and green of your furniture,then bring in colors with some cushions on the settee and chair,i am not very good at describing what i see for your room so have found some pictures that might give you some idea of what i mean ;-)
    11年前
    One thing for sure change the gold fireplace screen to a more modern one you like. Do you like the color of the brick or would you like the bricks painted? Painted cream for an uniform, sleek look. Hang a big, modern wrought iron piece on the fireplace. Add two chairs beside the fireplace with a little color, not too big, short, straight lines. Add color with pillows, pictures. What colors do you like? Cream, light blue, grey, brown look good together for a modern look.
    11年前
    Sorry just saw the picture in the room . Are those the colors you want to incorporate into the room? Save some money to change light fixture to drum shaped fixture. Chairs you could get at home decorators outlet, along with a rug to your taste. I think you could do it for $1000. You already have nice couches and a great ottoman to work with.
  • Karen Garrett
    11年前
    My husband and I disagree a lot on design. He is comtemporary and I am shabby/cottage. He laughs at shabby chic. He says that the item is not finished. He is learning to just let me pick. He is learning to trust me more. Find a color scheme you both can try to agree on???????? I understand your frustration though
  • Karen Garrett
    11年前
    Everything is too brown. Pick a color or two to accent with. Houzz is so great for inspiration. Get away from more brown or tan though
  • inkwitch
    11年前
    Good room, good furniture. A lot of "square-ness." Consider a round end table. It doesn't have to be large. Current table looks sorta jammed against the wall. Love the windows and the shades. A tray on the leather ottoman -- something metalic or rattan in a different shape. Floor lamp behind sofa/end table. Ceiling fixtures are more decorative than functional.

Paint brass FP hardware-- there's special paint for it. Paint the FP,come to that. Long term Plan: reface it with stone or wood.

Never hang art that high. Would rather see nothing (which is sleekly modern) than the wrong thing. If you aren't going to mount the TV (I wouldn't), don't worry about "decorating" the FP wall until you find something you absolutely LOVE.
  • bevbourbon
    11年前
    carole ~ Where might I find a bigger picture or more pictures of the one your posted with the large brown cabinets to the right/left of the fireplace (I believe the first of three example photos you gave.)
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11年前
    Center your couch with the fireplace along with the cocktail table. Take your chair/ottoman and put it on an angle in the right hand corner. Put couch side table with it, adding a lamp. Place a sofa table behind couch and add 2 lamps. Hang a large mirror on fireplace and 4 larger prints on walls, 2 on each side of fireplace. Change ceiling light fixture to a track light..shooting light at the fireplace and prints. Add window panels to the windows for softness to room. Add color in your pillows, art and large accessories. An area rug under the seating area would look great.
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11年前
    Just noticed the bricks jutting out of fireplace. An option, chisel the 2 bricks out and cover the top half in wood with a mantel.
  • sailorleigh
    11年前
    $1000 is a great budget for basics. Remove everything from the walls. Paint, I think a nice Benjamin Moore colour like Balboa Mist would be nice on the walls, its a soft taupe/grey, modern and clean to compliment any new accent colours you add later to the neutral brown, just no more brown ok, you have enough. Move the sofa to the wall under the window, this will open the room and create a more welcoming converation circle in front of the fireplace. I agree with a previous comment paint the gold deatil on the fireplace, there is a special paint available, just ask at the paint store. Nothing on the fireplace unless you find something LARGE with colour! A large thick chunky mantel would be a nice touch as well it would add a bit more texture to the bland room. YOu need a nice QUALITY rug, I like Home Sense in Canada they have great prices and I often find wool rugs for $299 or $399. In the US I'm sure Marshall's or TJ Max affilate will have something, Next find some nice lights wfor the ceiling I like drumb shades then add nice coffee table, I would suggest a trunk or again an aged piece, look in Restoration Hardware for inspiration, if your budget does not allow this price level find a wood colour and style and shop on line many sites deliver for free in the US. Have fun and enjoy, don't rush or over do it with small stuff. Go big and have a bold accent colour. Good Luck
  • MG Mack
    11年前
    最終更新:11年前
    I agree with Kelly: painting the brick and changing out the insert would make an enormous difference. (white paint to brighten things up, gray to match the carpet or a bright color if you're gutsy and then a simple mantel)It's a great space. Right now it just lacks balance and warmth. Repositioning the furniture in a grouping and adding a chair would make it much more inviting. Sheers/simple draped valance would help cozy things up a bit. If you want bright, lighten the wall color. If you want drama, something deep...red? The room is big enough to support many fun changes. Your tastes can be added in accents: throws, pillows, artwork etc
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    11年前
    最終更新:11年前
    My suggestions are paint out the brick, lose the brass doors, install a streamline mantel; add items like art, throw pillows and draperies. Place the couch either facing the windows or in front of them and two chairs with a table opposite it. Remove those two small pictures from the fireplace (they are too small and too high).
  • carole
    11年前
    to bevbourbon i put in a seach for livingroom brown green eclectic on google hope you find what you are looking for there....
  • creativepnw
    11年前
    If you leave the two brick shelf-like pieces, don't use them for framed art, instead try a natural sculptural piece like a wonderful stone or seashell. Make sure the items you put on those shelves are not alike, use two different pieces.
  • creativepnw
    11年前
    And hang your painting over the fireplace, do not hand art next to it.
  • kosterbelle
    11年前
    You might want to look into ChalkPaint (Annie Sloan ChalkPaint.com for your fireplace. It is kind of expensive but if you are just doing fireplace would fit your budget. The technique with this paint is easy and it goes on practically anything. Plus, you and your hubby can mix and match colors to find one that is perfect for your both and you would have fun with a DIY project together.
  • PRO
    House of Fine Carpentry- CABIFY Cabinetry
    11年前
    I would suggest painting the walls and either put up some wainscoting or paneling around the room. The mante you could build a box to cover the top portion of the fireplace. This way you don't have so much brick showing.
  • PRO
    White Crane Construction
    11年前
    You have a great base to work with. Paint can transform any space. If you are on a limited budget paint is your best friend. It is possible to go with a neutral color palette for the walls and furniture and use smaller accessories and art to bring pops of color that are easier to change out in the future. And if you are feeling really daring paint or tile your fireplace an amazing color. Below are photos of a lower level we remodeled where we left the original fireplace, but painted it a lovely brick red and stained the existing mantel. This in addition to changing out the brass fireplace trim will make a significant difference.
  • PRO
    House of Fine Carpentry- CABIFY Cabinetry
    11年前
    To really enhance the look of the room. I would suggest painting the bottom portion white and add paneling and a nice chairrail. This would stay within your budget. I have attached a phot.
  • vacox
    11年前
    I'm redecorating my LR with help from Houzzers, and have been looking into drapes. I see some people have posted pictures here. I've been searching on Houzz for drapes and looking at how they look in different spaces. I think they make a big diff in a room and you could search and see what looks you like--they can add a lot to the look of the room and change its looks by their style. Good luck!
  • vacox
    11年前
    Here's an ideabook with different drape ideas--they use them just like a frame around the windows, and not necessarily to cover. Some of them only have the rods on the sides....

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/8996667/thumbs/drapes
  • kosterbelle
    11年前
    This might sound crazy but when I redid my floors with light bamboo hardwoods I had an extra box left over and had my contractor install the flooring on the kitchen peninsula wall in a horizontal direction (same direction as floor) and it looks really good...like contemporary paneling. The white baseboard and white counter top accent it.
  • jsy0013
    質問の投稿者
    11年前
    Wow everyone!! Thank you for all the great advice. Lots of awesome ideas!! Keep em coming... I love this website!!!!
  • berbera
    11年前
    there's a special fireplace paint which is heat resistant. I painted out my old brass metal surround in deep bronze. It turned out great for about 10.00 just make sure to clean brass well, first. Also would add floating shelves on either side and put big mirror or striking painting over fireplace to center the focal point. Use texured rug and two accent chairs on each side.
  • wsorange
    11年前
    What do you use the space for and what would you like to see for this space? Meaning how would you like to use it ? Reading ,watching tv, or just sitting and visit?
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    11年前
    jsy0013, I am happy to hear you have modern taste. If you could find a piece of modern art both you and your husband enjoy and agree to have in this room, you could use it as your color inspiration for the rest of your decor. Check out our Houzz page for some ideas. Enjoy and good luck decorating!... Raisa