Houzz Logo Print
brandi_mahaney

Should garage door match window color or trim color?

BM M
7年前

We have recently replaced the windows in our house with sandalwood colored vinyl windows. We are now ready to replace the garage doors and front entry. Our trim is currently the original ivory color. When we purchased the windows we purposely did not choose ivory as it seemed dated but now looking at garage doors the available standard colors either seem to match our ivory trim well or match the darker grout in our brick. I am thinking we should go with the lighter ivory type color for the garage doors since it will match the trim well but will our sandalwood windows look out of place then? How closely should windows and trim match? Right now I don't think the windows stick out too much and they seem to blend in a bit. I am thinking that keeping the trim and siding more ivory colored might work better than changing everything to match the windows which seem a bit pinkish/beige.

Do you think it is better to match the trim and hope the windows blend in and aren't too noticeable? I am debating whether to replace the front entry with a very dark solid brown door and matching 3/4 colonial style sidelights and transom and painting the shutters to match or to keep it traditional and have the sidelights match the trim or garage door, in which case I think the lighter ivory color would look better since it would have more contrast than a darker grout/cement color.

コメント (6)

• PRO
    HCD Group Corp
    7年前

We are located in Florida, and the style that most of the homes have here is that the garage door is the same color as the front door. Usually modern homes will have a dark wood "look alike" finish, that the front door has as well, but we also have some cases where the garage is a grey, and the front entrance is a blue to give the home a "pop of color". It all depends on the style of the house. Also, in some areas you can only paint the doors, windows, the entire house a certain color depending on what the association allows, so it all depends on your individual situation. But, I do think the windows look great for your home, if you were to choose the ivory color like you suggested, I think it would look great in your house.

• chloebud
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Hi Brandi, one thing I wouldn't do is use the ivory/cream color on the garage door. That would make it too much of a focal point since it's right in front. Seems a good trim color would be to pull the darkest shade in the brick.

• BM M
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I totally agree about the shutter color. We are definitely going to have those painted a dark brown and are planning to get a new front door the same color. I just can't decide whether to get the whole entry system including the sidelights and transom the same color or to keep the two tone look and have the door dark brown and the sidelights the same color are the trim or windows. I have noticed more people replacing their doors with doors, sidelights and frame all one color but I know the traditional style and what many recommend is to have the frame a different color from the door as we have now.

I just picked up some color swatches for CHI doors and the desert tan seems like a good choice for the garage. It is slightly darker than the trim and closer to the window color. The almond I think is too bright and matches the trim and is maybe even slightly lighter so I think that will make the garage doors stand out too much. I originally thought dark brown but I think with the shutters and new entry it will be too much brown on the house. In our neighborhood most people have dark shutters and a light colored garage door. I am thinking of going with a carriage house style with curved windows on the top.

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

For some reason, the garage just seems to "eat up" the house. You have a nice house, I would get a custom wood garage door and remove those shutters....I would get a pretty leaded glass entry door and keep the transom.

• Jan
    7年前
    I heard that you can replace a panel on garage doors. I think glass on the top panel would look better. Also tubs with some evergreens either side of garage door. Look in Houzz for ideas on garage doors.
    Love you front door, trim color like rest, door contrasting color.