Houzz Logo Print
k2wall

Backsplash on the sides or not?

k2wall
7年前

We are installing a backsplash in our kitchen. My husband is a contractor who has worked on high-end production homes. He thinks the backsplash should be on the sides as well. I have been looking around on websites and think it might be better just to have it along the back. The only places at issue are in our bar area nook and on one other kitchen wall. We removed the granite backsplash hence all of the drywall work. The tile installer comes on Saturday so I need to decide soon.

The tile sample is shown below. It is a glass 3 x 6 tile.

コメント (26)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7年前

Normally I would not do extend along the sides but from the pics it looks like the walls have some form of texture. How would this be matched where the drywall has been repaired. Might be better to cover with the tile. Also, it's hard to tell how well the top makes contact with the wall, if there are gaps how would this be done to create a clean look.

Graham

k2wallさんはThe Kitchen Abode Ltd.さんにお礼を言いました
  • acm
    7年前

No tile on the side walls unless they're right adjacent to a splashy sink.

k2wallさんはacmさんにお礼を言いました
  • k2wall
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

My husband is pretty good at drywall repairs so should be able to match the texture.

• PRO
    KHB Interiors
    7年前
    Hello

I would not place the tile on the side walls.

I agree with you !

Best of luck !

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz!

https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors
    k2wallさんはKHB Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • tgb1
    7年前
    I think it's so much cleaner- looking when you just tile the back wall. Tiling the sides looks very awkward imo...
    k2wallさんはtgb1さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    7年前

I would only do the back. The side tiles would come out past the cabinet that's overhead, unless you stopped the side tiling where the cabinet stops? Either way I think that would be a strange transition. Stick to only doing the back.

k2wallさんはCoates Design Architecture + Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    7年前

Only on the back. Nothing on the sides.

k2wallさんはBrickwood Builders, Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • k2wall
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Hope my husband has a good day at work when I hit him with this one tonight LOL. Thank you all for the input.

• baileysr
    7年前
    The purpose of a backsplash is to protect the walls. To me, it would
    Look silly to install protection on the back but not the sides, kind of like an unfinished job. I would say do the sides and stay true to the purpose and meaning.
  • PRO
    Galileo Construction Inc.
    7年前

Hello,

Just do the back.

Classic kitchen · 詳細

Classic kitchen · 詳細

k2wallさんはGalileo Construction Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    HCD Group Corp
    7年前

I definitely agree! Leaving the back splash in the back will make it look really nice, there's no need to do the complete sides. Another thing you could do is by putting only 2 rows of tiles on the sides, instead of the height all the way up to the cabinet, it will protect the wall if you drop a cup, or some water spills on the counter.

k2wallさんはHCD Group Corpさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.
    7年前

All preference but I would have to agree just along the back wall-

k2wallさんはImperial Flooring Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • kim k
    7年前
    I'm alone is this I guess but ours is along the sides so I can't imagine it otherwise! We didn't do it though it was like this when we moved in
  • kim k
    7年前
    But if you do it on the sides I wouldn't do the whole wall just the same depth at the cabinets. It looks more built in that way to me.
  • baileysr
    7年前
    Kim, you're not alone, I'm with you. When it doesn't serve the intended purpose, it looks wrong to me. A wall protector is supposed to protect walls, not just be a pretty background. If it doesn't do its job, then it can't look pretty to me.
  • k2wall
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

I asked one of my friends who is a custom builder. They do the sides all the way out to the end of the counter. I guess it's just a personal preference or maybe Florida is behind on the trends.

• Judy Mishkin
    7年前

i'd do just the back UNLESS your mixer will go in a corner, then take it around to even with the front of the cabinet.

i went back and forth on this; but in our situation i would have had to go to the ceiling so i said no. i'm sorry i didnt make the corners.

• cpaul1
    7年前

I would not do it on the sides, that would not look good. It's a small space, just focus on making the wall itself pop.

• jbtanyderi
    7年前
    Mirror the back wall - even if you pick something like a bronze colour.
  • PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    7年前

Only the back wall!

• Depo
    7年前

Back wall only.

• User
    7年前

I also vote for back only. And I have it on the sides in my own kitchen.

• jmm1837
    7年前

Function over form. Do the back wall only if this is a bar area where nothing is likely to get splashed on the walls. If, as in my case, you've got a coffee machine next to the sidewall, believe me, you want the backsplash to go around the corner.

k2wallさんはjmm1837さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Leona Mozes Photography
    7年前

I totally agree with Galileo....back only.

• Wendy
    7年前
    Back only, however getting the counter to drywall seam to look good can be tricky.