Houzz Logo Print
clubnev

Need options for shelves in a shower-considering glass shelves

clubnev
7年前

We are remodeling a bathroom and we were planning to install a niche. We took out the tub and added a shower. We were going to put the niche on the wall opposite of the shower head.

In tearing out the old shower, we discovered we don't have room for the niche because the wall is not thick enough.

So now I'm looking at shelves for the corners. We are doing white subway tile with a Caribbean green glass tile border/inset.

I want shelves that blend in with the subway tile. The obvious is to go white and perhaps that is what we will do. I don't want to do the typical marble because I think it will conflict with the other tiles.

I am doing this tile in Matt White (not the color shown). This is from DalTile

It seems my other two options besides white and marble are baskets and glass. My concern with baskets is the possibility of rust. Has anyone used a glass inset shelf like this?

I am considering these:

This is a part time place so stuff won't be sitting on them all the time.

Any other options? Baskets seem easy to clean compared to glass which will show water spots. But once they rust, then seems like you are stuck with them because removing/reinserting means destroying some tile. And my husband is not fond of the basket look.

Thanks

コメント (8)

• Judy Mishkin
    7年前

i'm not fond of the idea of water spots, shower product, and dust on glass shelves, nor the chance one will fall leaving glass in the shower. i'd find something white.

clubnevさんはJudy Mishkinさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    R.A. Stone | Interior Designs
    7年前

You might consider Stainless Steel or Teak shelves.

clubnevさんはR.A. Stone | Interior Designsさんにお礼を言いました
  • clubnev
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Stainless steel -didn't think about that - how does Teak hold up over time? Does anyone think Stainless would clash too much against the white?

• Judy Mishkin
    7年前

if you were going with chrome fixtures it would look great.

• C F
    7年前

I think glass would look better, but as the cleaner of the shower in my house, white would probably show less soap scum/dust/you name it.

clubnevさんはC Fさんにお礼を言いました
  • Maureen
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

I'm not a fan of permanent shelves - they build up water marks/soap scum and mold can be problem as water tends to sit, so items have to be removed often for cleaning. It's not as pretty, but I prefer the idea below. I do have corner shelves in another bathroom and much prefer this type of set up.

clubnevさんはMaureenさんにお礼を言いました
  • clubnev
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

We are going with chrome fixtures. If I do the glass shelves - I plan to put a coating of rain X on them. Since this is a part time place, stuff won't be sitting there all the time.

We're going to have a hand held shower head and the problem with the hanging shelves is that they interfere with the hand held cord. Otherwise, this is a great suggestion.

Having to clean permanent shelves often is a deterrent. I suppose that is the attraction of the baskets.

I would like white shelves but I can't seem to find any, other than the old fashioned ones that are an afterthought and grouted in. I definitely don't want those.

I thought about putting a basket or two, for the soap on the corner that has the shower head, and white or glass shelves in the other corner. The glass is tempered and it's only hubby and I - no small kids, so I'm ok with the safety part of the glass.

I am leery of any metal in a shower. Living in a humid climate, I don't care what the manufacturers say, all metal rusts/stains or looks dingy after awhile. Maureen's suggestion would work because its not attached. But with a hand held shower - I haven't found a hanging one that works well with a hand held shower. Bummer.