Houzz Logo Print
iamerica75

Need help choosing a light fixture for my kitchen

iamerica75
7年前

We're adding a tray ceiling to our kitchen to solve my wish for the 42" cabinets to flush with the 9' ceilings. I need to replace the light fixtures. All of the appliances will be stainless and the wall color will be Sage Splendor with a stone backsplash. My dilemma is finding three fixtures (I am willing to omit one or two) that work well together aesthetically.

Kitchen remodel to add tray ceiling (soffit). · 詳細

Please help

コメント (23)

• PRO
    Paige O'Coin
    7年前

Tom Semi-Flush Mount Light · 詳細

above island

Feiss Peyton Semi-Flush - FM354BK · 詳細

above kitchen table

Hinkley Congress Flush Mount 3149OZ · 詳細

above kitchen sink

iamerica75さんはPaige O'Coinさんにお礼を言いました
  • iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Hi Elle, I agree. My primary goal was to raise the cabinets but since our cabinets are so big that wasn't an option, neither was replacing the cabinets or adding smaller units above or below. We thought the tray ceiling was a great alternative to a soffit. This allows the area above the cabinets to come down to average 8' height to meet the cabinets, while keeping the remaining ceiling at it's beautiful 9'.

• iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Paige - I love that these are in the same family but different enough to make the space interesting. Would you use this finish with the stainless appliances?

• PRO
    Paige O'Coin
    7年前

Oops I forgot about that, they make them in stainless too, something like these could work

Quoizel ER1814BN Emery Pendant Light, Brushed Nickel · 詳細

island

Feiss FM403PN Tabby 1 Light Polished Nickel Flush Mount · 詳細

sink

Quoizel UPPS1713BN Uptown Penn Station Semi-Flush Mount Light In Brushed nickel · 詳細

table

Some other options..

Kimball 1-Light Indoor Semi-Flush Ceiling Mount Light, Coffee Bronze, Galvanized · 詳細

Trans Globe Vintage 46" Island Pendant, Polished Nickel & Glass · 詳細

iamerica75さんはPaige O'Coinさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7年前

i would go recessed everywhere except the dining nook. its going to be full in there with the try and look smaller so less is more. make the nook piece a wow factor save the money for that. with the 9 foot ceilings keeping it open will be less distracting.

iamerica75さんはRL Relocation LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Crest Lighting
    7年前

Dinette

Sink

Island

What do you think of these by Hinkley Lighting? All are in polished antique nickel -similar to pewter or stainless steel. Hinkley also has nice detail that does not always show in the photos. The sink pendant can be adjusted by 6" and 12" increments and the island and dinette can also be adjusted by cutting the wire and chain. The clear glass on the island and dinette fixtures will keep them from overwhelming the space.

• iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Paige - the last image (the vintage island pendant) is actually in my lookbook.

• iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

downbytheriver - that's exactly the plan. I'm just not 100% sure we need the dinette space. I'm not sold on putting a table there, I think it'll close up the space and create a cumbersome look and feel.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7年前

So for now take that one down and just cover it until you decide

• acm
    7年前

just for the record, a tray ceiling recesses above the actual ceiling height. lowering the ceiling to meet the cabinets is the definition of a soffit -- they are sometimes made to run ducts or wires/pipes too, but often just to not leave the top of the cabinets open.

Traditional Kitchen · 詳細

iamerica75さんはacmさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7年前

i agree about the table since the door opens in right there. perhaps you could make it a semi flush treated more like an entry light for that area...

• iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

acm - although my OP speaks of a soffit whatever this is, is pretty near exactly what we're doing.

• PRO
    Crest Lighting
    7年前

I wouldn't necessarily blank it up unless you will be adding recessed cans. You are always better off having more light than not enough and you easily have enough space for a semi flush. Here are three options - the first has an adjustable rod and seeded glass; the second is clear glass with a mason jar look; the third is a more industrial wire mesh frame. All three take 100 watt max bulbs.

iamerica75さんはCrest Lightingさんにお礼を言いました
  • iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

We are adding about 8-10 canned lights. All three of these lights are ones that I'd want to see in my space. Can you send a link to the last one please?

• iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I've selected my lighting

New house, new home · 詳細
    island

• iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Sink · 詳細
    sink

• iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

We love the LED Edison bulbs and think these will look great with the surrounding elements.

They'll arrive Saturday so hopefully I'll have updated pics early next week.

Thank you all for assisting me through this!

• iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    My cabinet pulls are in & they're beautiful! They look & feel substantial but the price was 1/5 of what Lowe's sells them for and they arrived in less than a week. My first Houzz purchase is perfect! I LOVE THIS APP! #HappyHouzzing
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7年前

welp let me warn you clear glass will get so filmy especially in a kitchen

the led Edison are brighter than regular edison, but by design not meant to be bright.

if you dont have a table there will it look odd, which one was for that space?

• iamerica75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

dbtr- Great points. We took that into consideration when selecting the cage style bulb covers; that unit will go over the island. The clear glass piece will go over the sink. We opted to blank the dinette area. We noticed the Edison bulbs were low light as well. My hope is that having five in the unit, plus the 10 can lights, will counter that.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7年前

How big is the island? and how big is that light fixture?

• PRO
    Bespoke Fine Interiors
    7年前
    I vote for one in the middle of the tray. And I would encourage you to do something with character! Several of the lights suggested are great, but can be found in many, many rooms. Branch out! Make a statement of your style!