Houzz Logo Print
tamp75

Paint colours for woodburner wall

tamp75
7年前
Thinking about painting this wall a deep blue, possibly F & B stiffkey blue but worried that the woodburner will be 'lost' against a deep wall colour. Do you think it would look odd if we kept the inset space behind the woodburner in a pale colour? Rest of the walls in the room will be a shade of white. Thanks.

コメント (12)

• PRO
    VENTURA DESIGN
    7年前

Take a look at the following article, it maybe be helpful =)

http://ventura.ie/design-ideas/handy-tips-paint-can-transform-home/

• tamp75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thanks Ventura Design. Really useful article - haven't yet painted anything other than plain white in our renovated house. Still need some thoughts on the pale inset behind the wood burner if we go for a dark blue wall - any thoughts anyone?
  • Michelle
    7年前

I would've thought the alcove would get grubby from soot, ash, smoke etc and would show up very easily on a pale colour. I am in the same predicament myself. People have been recommending tiles. Have also toyed with stiffkey blue for my room accents too.

• PRO
    User
    7年前

If you can put up with a bit of grime from the burner, then you could always keep the alcove white, with Stiffkey Blue on the wall. The fireplace will get dirty which is not necessarily a bad look. You could also fill the space with logs for the fire.

Another option would be to use high gloss tiles, (red, possibly?) which will contrast nicely with the matt blue walls, and also reflect the fire light, creating an interesting effect.

Don't over think though. Have fun with it!

• tamp75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thanks for your comments Michelle & David Seath Interiors. Hadn't really considered it getting overly grubby. The fireplace was done about 9 months ago & considering the amount of dust & dirt we've had while renovating, plus the mess from the wood burner, the white is holding up fairly well in the alcove. Maybe a repaint in a hard wearing wipeable paint would work. Any thoughts on warm white tones or cool white with stiffkey blue? I was thinking warm white although I don't want it to be too cream!
  • PRO
    User
    7年前

Try an off white with a hint of colour if possible. I think a subtle hint of pink would work. Could create a nice warm glow.

Buy some testers, and live with the samples for a few days. Don't rush it.

If the colour feels right then go for it!

• tamp75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    Thanks, hadn't thought about white with pink undertones. The room will be our snug so I don't want the space to be too harsh so that could work.
  • PRO
    User
    7年前

Good luck with it. Would be nice to see how it all turns out....

• clodaghdorgan
    7年前
    Hi! I painted behind my wood burner in a bright pink!
    Be brave, if you don't like it you can always paint it white again. I don't have pics of the finished article but here are a couple...I was trying to decide between pink and yellow.
  • Emmanuelle
    7年前
    Hi! I have painted the whole of my front lounge dark blue and it looks very cozy! For the stove alcove, have you considered tiling it with brick slips? The colour of the bricks would go very nicely with Stiffkey blue !
  • tamp75
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    @ Man about the house - thanks for the picture - that's really useful to see it with the pale paint behind the woodburner.
    I had thought about doing the whole room, especially as it will be used as our snug but we have double glazed doors leading through to the main living space which is painted white. I think it might look a little odd against the pale colour elsewhere if I do it all dark. I can see how the brick slips would contrast nicely but I'm not keen on red brick. Our main materials in the house are oak, slate & glass so don't really want to add in another material but thanks for the thought. Actually quite like the pink! Want to add some pink tones in somewhere but not sure I'm brave enough for that... Great to have some ideas outside of my very 'safe' way of thinking. One dark wall is a brave move for me!