Houzz Logo Print
mickisue

Lighting Advice

mickisue
7年前

We're finally getting to the doing stage in our kitchen, but one piece has jumped to the front of the line: the lighting.

We currently have late 90's big flourescent pillow in the middle of the ceiling. We could go recessed lights, or a nicer, more modern fixture, that hugs the ceiling.

I'm of a mind to do the nicer, more modern. Husband is worried about making a mistake. I told him I'd ask you smart, chic people for advice.

So: recessed lighting, or that beautiful fixture, above. For reference sake, it's about 4" deep, about 11" wide and about 40" long. The appliances will all be SS, and the pulls, etc are brushed nickle, simple rod shaped.

コメント (21)

• PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    7年前

If you're wanting to use that fixture you would still supplement it with recessed lighting around the perimeter. Putting them on separate switches allows you to change up the lighting. Don't forget to add under cabinet lighting as well. LED is best for this.

mickisueさんはCynthia Taylor-Luceさんにお礼を言いました
  • mickisue
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I appreciate your expertise. But the room is not that big. There is a light over the kitchen sink, a light on the vent hood, and I will be adding under cabinet lighting, as well. The counter is peninsula style, and open to the dinette, which has its own lighting, that spills into the kitchen.

The current lighting, ugly as it is, is more than adequate for work in the kitchen. Well, it was, but the baffle is dying, and I'm not willing to spend money to replace it.

We are going for three things in the update, (and I should have mentioned this) style, simplicity and cost. We'll be selling in a couple of years, and do NOT want to sink more money into the kitchen than we absolutely have to. To that end, we've purchased all the appliances, the sink and fixtures ourselves, when I could find the best I wanted at the price I wanted.

So, really, it's either or, not both. With recessed, we'll have to pay someone to do it. We have, and will replaced single fixtures ourselves, as well as filled and patched drywall holes.

• acm
    7年前

As long as the light won't be too far from your work spaces, you should be great with a flushmount fixture. Glad you found something you love!

mickisueさんはacmさんにお礼を言いました
  • baileysr
    7年前
    I like the fixture idea. I've been chastised by pros on Houzz about this before, but I'll say it again anyway...I hate recessed lights!!! And I say that even though I have them all over my house. I think they look ugly on the ceiling when they're off, and the light is stark and shadowy and obnoxious when they're on. We installed them in the kitchen because we were told we would need them, but we very rarely use them, maybe once a year. If your space is not very big and you think that large fixture will light it all up, then I say go for it! That being said, I highly recommend under cabinet LED strip lights, which will light up your work spaces very well and will take care of any darker corners where you need light. Good luck!
    mickisueさんはbaileysrさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    DeCocco Design
    7年前

I'm not chastising, but recessed can lighting with LED replacement bulbs, on dimmers, is a clean, beautiful, versatile, energy efficient choice. Also great if resale every becomes a reality--that's not the reason to use them, it's just a bonus.

mickisueさんはDeCocco Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • everdebz
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

So, will stark light above be reduced with lighting under cabinets coming from the wall area?

mickisueさんはeverdebzさんにお礼を言いました
  • mickisue
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I don't disagree on the clean and energy efficient. Not sure I like the look, though, and this fixture is also LED. We are not big fans of fluorescent, regular or compact.

• PRO
    DeCocco Design
    7年前

The bottom line should always be to use what you love.

mickisueさんはDeCocco Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • Lisa G
    7年前

Since you plan to sell in a couple of years, I would focus on what the majority of buyers would want which is recessed lighting. I don't mean to sound rude, but I do not find the fixture you posted attractive at all. It still looks like a giant fluorescent light to me.

mickisueさんはLisa Gさんにお礼を言いました
  • everdebz
    7年前

... but it ain't a big box ... :)

• french toast
    7年前

It may help if you post a picture of your kitchen. Just looking at this light, its not something Id pick but maybe it would look good in your space.

mickisueさんはfrench toastさんにお礼を言いました
  • everdebz
    7年前

May I butt in to ask Crest Lighting - what happens exactly cause Idk - does a person look garish? green?

• mickisue
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks for the suggestion to check on lumens. It's 3633--roughly equivalent to 3 60 watt bulbs, in a roughly 12 X 12 kitchen.

The cabinets are currently stained espresso, we'll get them painted white, along with trim, and use a very simple quartz for the countertops, also white or nearly so.

I was toying with changing the backsplash, which is small squares of gray/green/blue, but because it will provide a soothing contrast to all the white/bright, AND save money, I'm thinking no, at this point. The walls, which will stay the same, are a Sherwin Williams color from 2 years ago, which is a pale ocean blue. It plays nicely with the current backsplash and the espresso, as well as the white of the trim around the sliders to the deck.

My taste is more streamlined, which is one reason I like that fixture. LOL, I grew up with "Scandinavian Modern" furniture in our house, and have always loved it.

We can't change the cabinets d/t cost, which are "custom" crummy Georgia red oak, with inset panels and simple arches. I'd prefer Shaker, but not to pay for them!

I can take pictures, but the rest of the look will be so different, by the time it's done, that describing what will be might give a better idea of how that fixture works with the rest.

• PRO
    Crest Lighting
    7年前

That would be adequate for general kitchen lighting, but you will need additional lighting over your stove area and work areas. LED's generally come in three color categories, warm (2700K), neutral (3000-3300K) and cool (5000K). 2700K is the closest to an incandescent bulb, producing the warm glow we are all accustomed to, but we are seeing people going toward neutral. If you have two different color temperatures it may effect your paint colors.

• PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    7年前
    Be prepared to replace the backsplash because I don't see how you can replace the countertop without affecting your teleworking.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    7年前
    Tile work. Sorry!
  • User
    7年前

I think you answered your own question. I like the fixture. I am also looking for a new flush/semi-flush mount for our kitchen.

And frankly I question the accepted, ubiquitous (re:unoriginal) thinking that a bunch holes in a ceiling is somehow cleaner than an elegant fixture. Frankly, nothing is more garish than harsh, directional, top light to exaggerate shadows under eyes, nose, and chin.

A softer, general light fixture that is supplemented by the task lighting you say you already have sounds perfect for your space and taste.

Joe

mickisueさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • User
    7年前

Oh, and usually LED makers are sadly too generous on their comparative light output descriptions. They may say "Equivalent to a 60watt bulb" but they are usually quite shy on meeting that measure. If you want a 60w equivalent I suggest getting one that says it is equal to 75 watts.

In my experience Philips and newer GE LED bulbs are the only ones that actually seem as bright as they say they are. Of course, your LEDs look built into the fixture so that may not be an option.

Joe

mickisueさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • printesa
    7年前

I have recessed LEDs in the basement and they are very bright,,It's a good thing we have dimmers. The latest bulbs are very good, Also, you can find now ambient bulbs from Phillips that don't have that unidirectional light

mickisueさんはprintesaさんにお礼を言いました
  • mickisue
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thank you all, so much, for commenting! I think, assuming no other thoughts from Husband, we will go with that light. The new vent hood will have two stage lighting, and reviews praise it. I'll get complementery fixture to replace what's above sink, and have already planned on rope lights under cabinets in other work areas.

The tile work was installed after the counters, by about a year. Really, it won't break my heart or the bank, if it DOES need replacement. But if it will still look good, all the better.