budget. What color would you paint the
walls? And do you paint the bookshelves
the same as all the walls or do you paint them white and the walls a different
color? Or is that too confusing to the
eye? Also, would you paint the large
trim piece that goes horizontal? I'm not
sure I like how it divides the room. Or
is it architectural? Also, would you
paint it white or same color as the walls?
The upstairs has the dated oak built ins as well. Do you paint them white or just make them
disappear by painting them same as wall color?
I like the ceiling, railing, and wood ceiling beams. Any advice on what could be done with the
space would be appreciated.

コメント (104)

• sbutler10
    8年前

ljaesamen mentioned brass on the fireplace. It is easily sprayed out with high heat paint. Cheap and easy fix that does make a big difference!

• Colleen Nolan
    8年前

White white and more white will make the wood you have to leave and the fireplace sing!

• Turid Knutsen-Løvik
    8年前
    I would definitely go with a bright white! The gray looked depressing, IMO.
  • paulajeanr
    8年前

White walls, bookshelves and trim. As you said, the views are beautiful - to enhance them, paint the window frames white. Go back and look at the pictures someone posted of the window frames left wooden and then painted white. The outdoors suddenly moves into the room and isn't circumscribed by all that wood.

• samosaurus97
    8年前

You have received many great ideas for this room and it will be gorgeous when you are done. I really like the ideas presented to use a pale color on the walls such as a taupe, wheat, or light gray. A white might be too bright for this room. You can always re-work this room in stages over a period of years, but paint is a good place to start.

I like the idea of painting the trim divides the room in half, and definitely change out or paint the formal brass fireplace screen. I would live with the carpet for now but plan on changing it out to a hard surface, then use rugs for texture and color.

You will also want to update the ceiling fan/light in the family room, as jhumble98 mentioned above. The loft room needs an updated light fixture also.

I think the current bookshelves have a traditional look in this space, and your room is not traditional. At first I was against removing the shelves altogether as I like their functionality, but for me they detract from the outdoorsy, lodge-like feel of the room more than any of the trim does.

However, you could try removing the doors and re-working the shelves down to just shelves, then staining them to coordinate with the wall color, such as in swish72's photo. I also like sfordi's idea of "moving shelves to insert your tv, etc. and a large painting or print can be hung on the opposite shelving to balance the tv".

Live with your minor changes (paint, fireplace screen, shelves) for a while and see where that takes you: a more informal, outdoorsy look or a more updated, chic look as in JudyG Designs? I like them both but what would be best for you and your family?

I would not paint the shelving upstairs until you figure out the family room.

This is a large room and consulting with a professional could be a good investment, even if just to get a long-term plan together.

• DianeE
    8年前

So funny. Everyone's ideas are crazy but to me, you HAVE to paint out the wood that frames the windows and to me, takes away from the views and distracts from the real star of the room - the fireplace and the ceilings. Just a thought. Best of luck. Very excited for you! And yes, always go for the view.

• llegault25
    8年前

One general comment on redecorating for the sake of getting rid of what is 'dated': in my view it's better to work *with* larger, costly features like built-in cabinets or carpeting, as long as they are in good condition and not grossly inconvenient. Fashions in home decoration can get so stereotyped when everyone embraces the same styles at once.

I know it's impossible to escape the tastes of one's own time. That's what fashion is. It remakes our taste without our quite noticing it. And of course, once a fashion takes over popular taste, it becomes impossible to find anything in the shops that isn't in fashion. (I did not want subway tile for my made-over bathroom. Guess what? There was nothing else for sale.)

Anyway, that's why I believe in working with large, built-in, not especially fashionable features in a house, rather than obliterating them, even if you have the money to do so. It preserves individuality and in any case, the fashion (against oak cupboards, in favor of teak tables, or whatever) will change again soon enough.

• billiesue14
    8年前
    Don't paint the wood. If you don't like this home's warm, slightly rustic vibe buy a different house. Someone else will appreciate what this one has to offer. The living area needs a few minor changes (which doesn't include painting the wood), not "saving." By all means paint the walls and replace the fireplace hardware. However, the carpet is the most dated looking feature in the room, and replacing it with wood, slate, or tile won't be cheap.
  • jaymee
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

Go with some of the wall color suggestions above, in a taupe, off white (cream), or other neutral. If you cannot paint the moulding, leave it, BUT paint the back of the shelving units next to the fireplace the SAME color as the wall. Perhaps change the lower doors to the those units with a door that has a plain frame around a sandblasted or laminated glass; if that's too expensive, leave them oak. If you want a more modern look, do what Reid Contracting suggested and paint the units, molding (including that horizontal strip) the same color as the walls or a shade lighter, leave the railing and mantel in oak, and that way the natural oak will be an accent and stand out. (If it were my house I would probably paint the railing and the loft bookcases, but it is not neccessary). Change the brass fireplace doors with an iron or aged bronze look.

The problem now is that despite a terrific room with a view, the space is very choppy with all the oak breaking up the space; it's chaotic. If the units and the moldings are painted, the remaining oak ceiling (amazing), balcony, and mantel will "pop", and everything else will look more "sculptural" but not be overpowering. I believe your eye will also be drawn to the beautiful view and to the fireplace, highlighting both. Good luck!

• rauraum
    8年前

I agree with billiesue14. DO NOT paint the wood. Paint the walls and this wood would be beautiful. If you didn't like the wood why did you buy the house? Lots of people would be happy to have such beautiful wood in their home.

• susanbroz
    8年前

Just thinking about the bookshelves... They definitely have a different style compared to the rest of the room as Samosaurus97 noted. This difference is very apparent because they are currently empty and stark. I would hate to give them up-my opinion. Maybe they would be tolerable when accessoried. I have also"dark washed" 80's oak in a previous house by lightly sanding and rubbing a darker stain in the grain.

• kjbjw
    8年前

What's "dated" about it? Is it because everyone tells you it is?

• groveraxle
    8年前

Looks like Jennifer hasn't been around since Mar. 18. Maybe they decided not to buy the house.

• emcswain
    8年前

A lot of talk about light gray, but the carpet is beige? White walls may make carpet look dirty. Curious of opinions on painting wood trims - where to start and stop - baseboard, window trim, interior doors, trims in nearby rooms? It sounds like a lot of white to me before considering textiles and very large artwork etc.

• alittlemiracle
    8年前
    We redid a 1980s style home and went black and white :)
  • Elena Tosheva
    8年前
    де
  • tiphareth
    8年前

I would paint the downstairs bookcases a soft grey from the stone fireplace and paint all the window frames to match the wall color. It's too cut up for them to stand out. I would leave all the wood upstairs except maybe paint the doors. Maybe you could stain the oak shelves darker and compliment it with an oak desk and comfy chairs. I would put down a soft patterned carpet or wood floors and nice rugs.

• shorttail
    8年前

What a beautiful room! I would paint out the walls in a white that picks up some tone in the stone, all the window trim, and basically all the wood: leave the ceiling and it's beams as is, and perhaps the upstairs bookshelves and railings should stay wood. Then your gorgeous fireplace will pop, and so will the outdoor view! Get rid of all the things that catch your eye unnecessarily. As for the floor, save your money until you can afford to replace with beautiful carpet or some type of wood, if that is your preference(although with that huge expanse of wooden ceiling, perhaps a very neutral wall to wall would be warmer looking, and then you would not get such a contrast with two woods opposite each other!) Also, I would never rip out the units beside the fireplace, as who ever has enough space for books etc: once painted same colour as walls, they will disappear - you will just see what is on them!

• shorttail
    8年前

also, you do not need to "change" the fireplace doors; if you wish to change their colour, remove and clean them, spray with the myriad of "barbecue" appropriate spray paints(i.e.. withstand high heat) and put back on. Saves a lot of money! I did this with my brass years ago, and the paint is still firmly in place.

• PRO
    Creative Spaces Interior Design, Inc.
    8年前
    I love the space. How are you planning on using it?

Love ceiling, the beams, and the space has great light. I'd paint the walls one color to unify the spaces. My go to neutral is Dunn Edwards Muslin. It can read grey or beige depending on the lighting and furniture/accessories. I would only paint the shelving the same color as the walls but in a different sheen. You could have fun and either paint the inside a different color, wallpaper, or install mirrors. For sure you need a couple of dramatic hanging light fixtures in the room. I'd also stain the beams a few shades darker to make them pop. When your budget allows I'd entertain the idea of changing the railing on the loft space. The gold fireplace screen is giving the space the dated look. Either switch it out, or grab a can of high heat spray paint and change it.

I'd love to see the after pictures.
  • Sue Bennett
    8年前

Decorating is nice, but remember you need to enjoy the space. With a lot of people and walls of windows, the carpet might be good for playing, warmth and keeping sound from echoing. Wood floors are beautiful but sound will increase with wood floors. Change all of the brass fixtures including fireplace front. You maybe able to powder coat or need to replace. A large decoration above the fireplace could determine the direction of the room.....make sure that decoration is something you love. Yes, I had read the family size earlier on this site. I do not see it now and have changed my post accordingly.

• beverleyc
    8年前

Jennifer, take the one with the view over the second house. You can change the interior of the house but not the view!

• Silver N Red Waugh
    8年前
    What a gorgeous room ! I think if you painted the walls a warm grey that picks up a shade from the stone this will tie the whole room together. The wood is nice as is and the stone will just pop once the walls are toned in ! As for the timber trim - matey paint it the same as walls ?
  • rouxb
    8年前

Paint is last. Get the room furnished first.

• Jennifer
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks everyone. I am actually still here and this is still the top house on my list. Unfortunately, we are waiting to sell our previous home first. I'm hoping it will still be there when we do, but have to face the reality that it won't. I'm actually a little surprised no one has seen the potential and snatched it up. It's in a great location with good schools and is priced below value. The kitchen needs completely remodeled as well, so maybe it is a little much for someone to take on.

@ kjbjw -- I do think it is dated. Not because others say so, but because of the two tone green/yellow walls/brass fireplace door, and because I've seen the rest of the house and the style of the kitchen, etc. I remember growing up in the 80's and putting oak cabinets next to fireplaces and painting them in earthy oranges/yellow, and greens seemed to be the trend. The place just has a bit of a "tiredness" too it and could be freshened up.

I'm not a big fan of always painting the trim white, but have noticed like others have said how it really does then make a space appear larger/cleaner. I don't like visually how the large horizontal trim piece seems to split the room in half. It seems annoying to my eyes. But seems to me like you could leave all the trim around the windows as long as you painted the rest of the walls and bookshelves one lighter color. And I do think the bookshelves look a little too chunky for the space, I would probably leave them and hope that painting them the same color of the wall could help that.

And although I think new floors would be awesome, I'm not sure I think it is absolutely necessary. I do find a warm and coziness to carpet.

@meoinc -- how did you know I would have 8 people living in the home? Did I mention that somewhere? You're right. We have 8 children, but two are already out of the house and away in college, so there would be 6 kids and 2 adults living here -- another reason I think the carpet might be nice for comfort and noise level.

I'll keep you all posted if we ever get an opportunity to own this home. We have an open house scheduled in the house we're trying to sell next week. I'm hoping we sell soon. Love everyone's ideas! Thanks again.

• meandyou123
    8年前

Id paint walls an offwhite and do all trims black

• jbtanyderi
    8年前
    Lower the funny shelf on the fireplace. It seriously skews the sense of scale. That done, hang a LARGE piece of art on the fireplace. Paint out the horizontal trim. Paint the BACK of the bookshelves a rich colour picked up from the rug or the major upholstery.
  • libradesigneye
    8年前

Good Luck Jennifer - glad to hear that you are hoping it all comes together . . a contingent purchase offer is not always ideal. Bless you for working to sell a house with 6 young ones at home - we are rooting for you. The house has potential that most buyers won't see .. so hold onto the poker face, and best wishes on finding the right buyer for your current home.

• Martha O'Brian
    8年前

IMO, keep the wood and stone and built ins. Go with a gray paint with a brown undertone. Paint the backs of all the shelves with the wall paint. Then I would go one shade darker than the walls and paint the underside/ceiling area where the second floor landing juts into the room. I would embrace the beautiful lodge feel of the home and balance the colors of nature inside with the views through the lovely windows. Good luck.

• Lyone Fein
    8年前

Take those doors off the lower half of the book cases.

• Elle
    8年前
    I would suggest changing the fireplace frame so it's not that dated gilded look. and update the fan light fixture. Change the green color and otherwise it would look really nice!
  • Olga Kramar
    8年前

Marlenem's taupe works perfectly because it has enough cool tone to be modern but enough warm tone to harmonize with the wood. Its darkness blends nicely with all that window trim and makes the window wall less choppy. White just accents all those rectangles. Richer tones also bring out the wood grain better than white.
    Having just come from a house loaded with 70s walnut with a deep warm tone, similar to the house in this example, and a two story fireplace with multi-color brick heavy in the grays, I can tell you it's tricky to find a paint color that works with both. A cool color will fight with the warm wood. The taupe bridges the two.

I had a wood shelf mantle similar to yours, planning to change it out, and then one day I couldn't stand it anymore and just removed the mantle completely. It looked great, and very modern! I never put a mantle back.

So, don't paint that beautiful wood. Wood finish is durable and hides dings and scratches. Painting it is an enormous project and hard to do right over polyurethaned or varnished wood. Not done perfectly, you'll have poor adhesion and it will look awful very soon. Even done correctly, painted surfaces are never as forgiving or durable as stained. It's a fad these days to paint all the woodwork. Most houses use cheap fake pressboard for the moldings and trim so they MUST paint it. You have real wood, show it off!

• Anne Skewes
    8年前

I see too much wood. And man, is that a big room! To counter the "orange" color of the wood, I'd paint the walls a soft aqua blue-green such as SW "Quietude" or SW "Rainwashed". I'd paint all wood trim--baseboards, window trim, chair rail--a soft white, such as SW "Dove White". Paint the upstairs railing. Remove the big cabinets. They're huge and a wonky design. Personally, I like the carpet. It softens all that wood. A very large sectional and perhaps a beautiful 8x10 (at least) rug. A large painting above the fireplace that isn't too bright or harsh. Replace those cabinets with wood buffet style cabinets that fit the space and place tv on one. Maybe one that hides the tv but elevates it when needed. Mirrors above each? Remove the brass fireplace cover. You have plenty of room for a game table and more seating with end tables. And coordinating lamps for soft light. A console table behind sofa, maybe with lamps if you need the light. If you ever replace the carpet, I'd do more carpet or a travertine-type tile. Just no more wood. The space is masculine enough without any more of that! Replace ceiling fan with one larger fan with horizontal double palm frond blades. Existing one is too small for the space. I like those wood beams too. Maybe a darker stain on remaining wood. Stain that's there now is just too orange. Have fun with your decorating!

• Joyce Stesiak-Troyer
    8年前

Loved loved loved swish72's ideas or grey chalk paint on the bookcases flanking the fireplace and a large piece on the fireplace. Always on a budget, I recently worked with chalk paint and loved the effect. I also spray painted the brass doors on my fireplace an oil rubbed bronze but saw that the manufacturer also had a silver or pewter look can of spray paint. I would also paint the wood trim that seems to cut the room in half horizontally. How is it I can see what others should do but agonize over my own decisions??!!

• libradesigneye
    8年前

Joyce - we all do that! Even, or especially pros. It is knowing that the options are so wonderful .. but commitment until you are IN LOVE is hard!

• carissanovick
    8年前

I would paint all the bookshelves a warm white, even the ones upstairs. I like other people's suggestion of a soft gray for the walls painted throughout with the darker wood trim. Try out a few shades of soft gray to get the right color with your fireplace and wood trim. Definitely remove the weird horizontal trim dividing the room. I would do a chunkier wood mantle and replace the fireplace screen with a black one for a quick update. If in the budget, I would replace the floors with hardwoods and open up the space to the kitchen.

• kristinanadreau
    8年前

The cost of painting the walls and cabinets is less than $2000, for a fine quality paint and skilled crew. and you are saying you can not afford it?? "not in the budget right now"..... This is a good house with good features, which deserves an owner who can afford a designer and a painter.

• kristinanadreau
    8年前

If this room and wood work were painted gray, it would be unbearably gloomy. paint all the trim & cabinets warm white, (not the ceiling). Paint the walls a shade darker. keep the side cabinets and have tv on one side. You need the storage and the cabinets only need to be painted out to be a visual non-issue. There is no point to increasing the size of the room by opening the wall to kitchen. This is a large room with a high ceiling, huge volume, thus you will need carpet or several very large rugs, for sound control and temperature control (unless this is located in a year around hot climate). Tile is too cold, visually and literally. Replace the loft railing with an interesting wrought iron in black or bronze finish. replace the ceiling fan(s). replace the fireplace screen. Be kind to the house. BTW, your children will soon leave the house, so you must please yourself, not them. You are lucky if you can have this house. please get a real designer, as they will be one of the best investments you can make. when interviewing the designer, show them the door the minute they want to change any part of the FP or if they want to rip out the cabinets beside the FP and replace with furniture pieces. The replacements would cost $4000- 6000. If I sound crabby, it is because I am. I have a great eye and have done MANY houses, so I have no tolerance for poor design. Best luck.

• Lynn Baxter
    8年前

I would paint the walls a light warm grey to pick up on one of the colours from the lovely stone work of the fireplace (grey being more 'on trend' at the moment). I would paint the larger horizontal trim to match to blend with the walls as it cuts the space in half and it would be nice to emphasise the lovely vaulted ceiling height.. I would paint all the timber shelves and cabinets the same colour as the walls but in a semi - gloss finish and paint the internal sections of the open shelves in a darker steel-blue grey. This will add dimension/depth to the room as well as enhance the items that you eventually put in the shelving. I feel that even thought the timber ceiling is gorgeous, it would create a wonderful airiness if you limed the ceiling and the timber beams. It would make the room seem larger and the ceiling wouldn't be so dominant. If the budget could be stretched I would invest in glass balustrading to the upper level to achieve a more modern aesthetic. Paint the timber doors a shade or two darker than the wall colour. Keeping the colours to the warm end of the spectrum will ensure the room isn't too 'cold' in feel. When you furnish the room use 'slub' type fabrics weaves for the sofa etc upholstery, adding cushions with blue -greys/ navy with pops of orange accents and cream neutrals. By the time you fill the shelves with books and dress with some shelving areas lightly with 'decorator' pieces it should be a serene, but energising space. P.S. I haven't read anyone else's posts - bit time poor!!!!! Good luck!

• Lynn Baxter
    8年前

Whoops! Wasn't specific re. colour of upholstery - I see a woven fabric with grey, cream and teal colour woven through it such as Mokum have in their ranges. This will work well with the fireplace, and wall colour. As well as the grey/blue mid-navy cushions, with pops of orange accents as I mentioned above, add teal and cream cushions. Mix plains with graphic patterns such as stripes and graphic florals. Perhaps for safety add a sand-blasted effect stick on decal across the glass balustrade (if you get that done!!) in a stylised leaf motif to bring the outdoors inside!. Anchor the whole space with a natural coloured sisal type rug to reference the remaining timber window frames and mantel. Perhaps a coffee table with a glass top and weathered branches type base to continue the natural theme and relate to the stonework.

• Jenifer K-AlterEgo
    8年前

The room obviously has rustic appeal with the stone FP, natural wood, and exposed beams. I would embrace that - it is a style with enduring popularity. I would not paint any wood unless it was done by a professional. To lighten and update the room, I would do the following: remove the upper half of the bookshelves flanking the FP, leaving the lower cabinets. Remove the crown molding that visually divides the wall. Paint the walls all the way around the room, the loft area, and any hallways the same color. I would go with a soft white with a touch of gray that coordinates with the tones in the FP stone. I would remove the wood trim around all the windows if possible, or replace it with a trim that was painted to match the walls so the frames do not distract the eye from the view outside. Or if you need privacy, use white panel curtains that reach from the current crown molding all the way to the floor, and station the panels between the windows during the day to disguise the window trim. Loft area: paint and window trim as described above. Built-in bookshelves are priceless and can be used for so much more than books - leave them alone. If you would like to add a bit of privacy to the loft you could consider installing a thin panel of wood between the handrail and the floor (painted to match the walls). Just attach it right to the spindles on one side or both sides to hide the spindles completely. Décor: to keep a clean and updated look, go with soft furnishings in muted tones or white. Add antique glass for a little sparkle - large round mirrors on each side of the FP would look great - and glass lamp bases would keep it light (pun intended). With this blank slate you could add color through seasonal accessories and art.

• shelleykay
    8年前

I love the house! Hope it will be there for you when you are ready. The main thing I see is those cupboards beside the fireplace. The bottom half sticks out way too far! If they could be made skinnier, like the top half of the shelves, then they would recede and not take over the fireplace so much. Possibly a cabinet maker could remove the fronts from the lower half, cut back the sides, and replace the front so the whole cabinet is only one foot deep. Sure, you lose some storage, but if you do it before you move in, you'll never miss it because you never had it. Use closets for big bulky storage. With electronics getting smaller, you really don't need those deep cupboards so much anyways.

• Anne Skewes
    8年前

Best of luck on selling your house. If that house is meant for you, it will be there!

• jagn
    8年前
    I didn't read through everyone's suggestions but I did see one that suggested painting the drywall Benjamin Moore Simply White. I agree with this. Leave all woodwork as is and paint the walls white. If after that you find the wood is still a bit too much, then proceed to judiciously paint more Simply White over the doors or trim. A warm white will modernize your space and balance the indoor focal point with the outdoor view. If after living with the white for some time you feel like you *must* have more color, proceed from there, but it should be a soft, neutral color. (Go grey only if you love it). Also, that is a large expanse of carpet, so if it is in your budget I would change that. Best wishes on your move.
  • Suse Biggestfan
    8年前

What a beautiful room. I agree with the posters who suggested removing the bookshelfs next to the fireplace. That will open up the space. I would also remove the strange wood piece above the fireplace and add some sort of framed tall mantel. I would also remove the long wood piece around the middle of the wall. It's a big room, but a new fresh coat of a more modern paint would be fantastic.

• grdnbeth
    7年前
    Hi! What a beautiful room/s. I would leave all the shelves, but paint the back of them the same as the wall color. I would paint the beams and railing a dark gray-brown. That will make the ceiling stand out, in a good way! The mantle needs to be replaced with something BIG- maybe even a live-edge piece of wood. And, of course, the brass needs to go, replaced with a really rustic iron/ rolled steel fire-screen. Hope you like my ideas!
  • avakum
    7年前

This is a good space with great bones and texture, similar to one we've enjoyed for a decade. I would recommend keeping the woodwork, painting the lower level a chocolatey brown drawn from one of the rocks in the fireplace and the upper level a restful sage green, again drawing a tone from the fireplace rocks or even grout. The horizontal continuation under the windows of the ceiling trim helps lower the perceived ceiling height and give the room an airy but human scale. Good luck!

• jancook
    7年前

Perhaps one reason the bookcases look so outdated is the scale of things on that whole wall. This is evident in the picture where someone shows a large decorative piece above the fireplace. The decorative item really helps but you can see the mantel size & size of the fireplace doors are very out of scale. If the bookshelf is used for the TV & the TV is very large, that will bring less attention to the bookshelves. Interesting suggestion to remove the doors in the bottom. Do that & use one row of baskets for DVD storage (or toys). The chalk paint sounds interesting. If you replace the bookshelves with credenzas, you will lose alot of storage & design space & the credenzas are going to have to be fairly large. Again, tho, pay attention to the scale. Once you add a large chandelier, the size of the bookshelves won't be so evident. While it is a pain to put everything in place then remove it to paint, maybe it is best to set up the shelves & fireplace area the way you want them then see how things fit together once the scale of things has been improved. Wood floors sound good too (with throw rugs). Once all this is in place the extra wood (around windows, railings, etc) may not be so noticeable.

• Jennifer
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks all. Guess we couldn't sell our house fast enough. I just saw the house I posted has a pending contract so guess this won't be the one for us. If we had gotten it, I was looking forward to showing the transformation -- oh well . . .

• PRO
    Linda Chittock Studio
    7年前

The wood in that space is absolutely gorgeous! I agree with previous comments of pulling a neutral grey or taupe color from the stone of the fireplace, and painting the walls and bookcases to match. Once you've painted over the bookcases, and easy way to spruce them up would be to replace the pulls with something more sleek and modern.

I would draw more attention to the fireplace by putting a piece of artwork , or wall decor above.