Houzz Logo Print
rosemarynjf

Kitchen backsplash grout or no grout??

We are having almond 3" by 12" glass textured almond tiles in subway layout. Contractor is saying that most people do not grout these. There is just about no room between the tiles to grout. He said he can do it either way. These are photos before grout. Any suggestions?

コメント (27)

• Tony V
    8年前

You should grout with unsanded grout. No matter how tiny the space, there is a space and over time grime, dirt, grease will crawl into the tiny spaces.

rosemarynjfさんはTony Vさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8年前

He is an idiot of course you need grout that is what keeps the water from creeping behind the tile they should have been laid with a 1/16 " grout space and then unsanded grout to match.

rosemarynjfさんはPatricia Colwell Consultingさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    8年前

I second the idiot evaluation. You never butt tiles especially glass. There must be a minimum 1/16" grout joint.

rosemarynjfさんはCreative Tile Eastern CTさんにお礼を言いました
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    8年前

Who chose the tile spacing? Nice counter/backsplash combination - looks great.

rosemarynjfさんはJillian - Interior design studentさんにお礼を言いました
  • s c
    8年前

aside from telling you that you didn't need grout, did he also tell you it was ok to have glass tiles directly behind your gas range? Get a new contractor!

rosemarynjfさんはs cさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    8年前

Good point CTF. As stated by TCNA Glass tiles should not be installed near a direct heat source. Reason being glass expands more than tile. If the glass is butted it increases the odds of cracking.

• rosemarynjf
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

wow! Never thought about all of these negative comments. I actually was just asking about appearance. This is my second house with glass tiles and gas range and no problem. Both tile stores who sold me the tile knew I had a gas range and never mentioned any problem and these are reputable tile stores that and reputable contractors with glowing reviews that have been in business for years. What about all the people who are using mosaic glass tiles behind their ranges and I have many friends who have those small glass tiles behind gas ranges. Anyway, I did decide to have him grout the tile and he said he will use unsanded grout. I have seen these same tiles butted with no grout and so far no problems. Only time will tell but I do thank you for taking the time to respond.

• rosemarynjf
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

and I do thank you for your help. I just was blown away by the comments. It is too late now as it is done so I guess I will just hope for the best. My only decision was to grout or not to grout what has been already done. I love classic glass tiles but not those mosaic small ones that I think will become dated. I will pray they don't crack

• PRO
    TheGrouStore
    8年前
    最終更新:8年前

Interesting conversation, very informative! I get the whole idea that glass expands more than tile so I would be concerned about the lack of space between tiles. Not sure how a glass backsplash would look if it doesn't flow across the stove area but I'm sure there are some good pics out there!

rosemarynjfさんはTheGrouStoreさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    8年前

Advise given is according to the Tile Council of North America Handbook. It does not mean a failure. Simply pointing out that basic industry standards were not being followed. It really is a nice looking splash.

• rosemarynjf
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Sure hoping for the best and not a failure. I will keep this in mind. I just looked on Houzz and there are many photos of glass tiles as a backsplash with gas stoves. I will keep my fingers crossed but I did take advice of getting the tiles grouted as tile man who is very experieinced tiler from NY said he will do this without a problem on Monday.

• PRO
    TheGrouStore
    8年前
    What is your installer going to use where the glass meets counter? Caulk or grout?
    rosemarynjfさんはTheGrouStoreさんにお礼を言いました
  • rosemarynjf
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

He said either caulk or grout whatever we want. What do you think? I am also getting concerned that there is no room for the grout between tiles so not sure how he will do this??

• PRO
    TheGrouStore
    8年前
    Grout will crack before your installer gets in his truck and drives away so unsanded caulk would be better.
    I personally use epoxy grout for those areas but you can read about that on my profile page, website, Amazon, YouTube if u r interested- Jason
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    8年前

100% silicone caulk at counter top. Glass manufacturers vary with grout recommendations. I have found that many consider the use of epoxy grout is unacceptable. There is a statement warning of this in the hand book. Glass requires research for the specific tile selected. Some require mastic instead of glass specific thinset as the alkali in the mortar will deteriorate the backing of the glass. It could get ugly down the road for all those lovely glass installations which no one bothered to research. TCNA handbook pages 6,7,8 Glass Tile Selection and Installation Guide. All installers should read this. But they won't.:(

• PRO
    TheGrouStore
    8年前

It really does depend on the specific glass manufacturer's recommendations. I did a quick google search in regards to epoxy grout with glass installations and found Oceanside Glass Tile stands behind epoxy grout :)

Technical Services by phone at 877-648-8222 or by email at techsupport@glasstile.com

read more here glasstile.com

Direct quote page 2

"GROUT
    Devotion may be grouted with cement-based sanded or
    unsanded grout, urethane grout or epoxy grout. Grout
    selection should be based on the grout joint size of the
    specific Devotion pattern and intended application."

Another interesting note on page 7 is to use caution with sanded grout on glass. I also have used sanded grout on several types of glass when joint size is 1/8". I think it looks better than unsanded grout and creates a fuller grout joint. Read tip below

"Step 7 Apply grout per the grout manufacturer’s
    instructions. When grouting with sanded grout, use care
    during application to minimize scratching."

Tip: use very little pressure with grout float when applying and washing. Yes, you could scratch the glass if your are overworking the grout into the joints, and not rinsing your sponge during the wiping process. Always test your methods on sample tiles and share your results with your customers so they can visually inspect and check for micro scratches that you may not see but they do!

• PRO
    TheGrouStore
    8年前

Here are a couple of projects I did using Epoxy Bond sanded grout. Notice pic 2 where counter meets glass, no silicone or caulk. Install is over 3 years old and looks new!

• telluwhat
    8年前

Epoxy? na na na no.

The GroutStore epoxy product looks like A magic private labeled infomercial, looks like they are selling a product to use in their cover up repair work albeit in a /sideways snake oil manner/.

• Denice Shuty
    8年前

Interesting post. Very helpful information.

• PRO
    Ali Williams Tile sales/design
    7年前

Rosemary, to answer your ? about glass mosaics, they are pre-spaced on mesh or paper, usually at 1/16". Good luck

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    7年前

@Ali - Welcome to Houzz. The date on this post is March and Rosemary was inquiring about 3"x12" glass. :)

• PRO
    Amy Deaner PA
    6年前

They look Gorgeous!

• Kimberly Gilchrist
    5年前

Thanks for this conversation. I am installing glass subway tiles in the kitchen and I wanted to b clear to grout or not grout. I am grouting! Pix going.

• danni7036
    5年前

I so appreciate this thread. I too have a gas range.. I found this thread wondering rather to grout or not. Now I know it’s a must with glass. But now I’m confused if I should have glass as my backsplash given my gas range. if not glass, then how about a marble and pearl tile? I’m interested in a Marble & Pearl Tile. Not just a window frame under the hood but for the entire wall. The pearl of course is delicate. Is this tile appropriate for a gas range? Is it to fancy for an entire wall in the kitchen?

I have cabinets that are white/greyish, counters with pergamino granite, and a black zinc range hood with copper strappings. The backsplash would be from counter to ceilings wherever there aren’t cabinets and the wall with the hood range will have 2 open floating shelves (vs cabinets) on top of the backsplash. (See layout) Would this tile withstand shelving? I was looking for glass subway tiles but fell in love with the Cassie marble and pearl tile. Would you recommend this tile for my layout below.

Dannielle

Attachment(s)
    image004.jpg
    image005.png
    image002.jpg
    image006.jpg

• danni7036
    5年前

Also would like an opinion on white glass or ceramic tile with black or grey grout? timeless or too trendy?

• thinkdesignlive
    5年前
    Start a new thread