Houzz Logo Print
wendy_radford_gaby

New fireplace not quite in the middle!

After re-plastering all the walls in our sitting room, we've finally had our new beautiful limestone fireplace installed... BUT...It's not quite centralised due to the original fireplace hole wasn't never in the centre.

I had hoped to place a mirror above the fireplace, but I'm concerned it's never going to align properly. The eye is always going to see the fireplace 1.5inches too much to the right! Especially when I've made this the main feature of the room.

Any ideas? I'm thinking making a cluster of frames like a gallery above it?

コメント (8)

• Vicky
    8年前
    Hi, not sure if it would completely work but I would paint all the walls along there the same colour so they blend in therefore not making the difference so noticeable, then I would go ahead put the mirror up and may be add something to the side (e.g. 2 x Small antlers on top of each other) so you're not completely ignoring the space and still using it!
  • Alison
    8年前
    I agree, it would be less obvious if the alcoves were the same colour (lovely colour btw)
  • Carmen Urquhart
    8年前

I think cluster frames would be a great idea. The asymmetry of them would distract from the unevenness of the fireplace. Although I wouldn't worry about the small 1 and a half inches, when the finishing touches are in place i'm sure it will be barely noticeable! :)

• Lindsay Hobson
    8年前

use an optical illusion......... Build a cupboard on the other side of the fireplace, let it overhang the chimney ( like the other side does ) but overhang it slightly more to even up the space at the side of the fireplace, this way it gives you more storage & display space and evens up the problem slightly at the same time and I agree paint the alcoves but do them a couple of shades lighter than the chimney breast to push them back and detract the eye further xx good luck xx

• PRO
    User
    8年前

We have the same problem in our bedroom, Put a tall vase on the floor or such like and you won't look at the gap in the same way. Sometimes the simplest, cheapest idea is the best

• AMB
    8年前
    Put something tall to the immediate left of the fireplace to fill the gap. I agree that the cupboard on the right imbalances the room, and that painting the walls the same colour will make it blend.
  • PRO
    M.W Bespoke Installations
    8年前
    Beautiful fireplace firstly.
    I would personally remove the cupboard on the right an build out that side to the same as the other, probably the most expensive and disruptive option but unfortunately, if you are anything like me, this is the only option that won't leave it nagging at you.
    Good look