Houzz Logo Print
jbrown93

Need help with steam shower build

jbrown93
8年前

I'm remodeling my bath and adding a steam shower. I've purchased Mr Steam and iSteam. My builder has never done one and he and I agree that we would like to find someone that has experience to ensure it is done correctly. The vendor we purchased the Mr Steam products from had no referrals to give us. Called Mr Steam and was given the name of a company who installs the steam components only. My concern is in ensuring the vapor proofing is done correctly. I live in a small town. I'm in between Dallas/Fort Worth and Austin. How do I go about finding someone with experience in constructing the steam shower?

コメント (10)

• s c
    8年前
    contact a professional tile installer. the process of waterproofing a shower stall is the same regardless of steam shower or regular shower, with the exception of also waterproofing the ceiling inside the stall. There's a lot of resources on the web with info on how to waterproof correctly for a steam shower but a tile pro should be able to tell you without you having to do all the research yourself.
  • jbrown93
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks for your response. I've read horror stories about what happens when a steam shower is not done correctly. From what I've read here different waterproofing backing (kerdi?) is recommended. I think I've scared my builder and myself! I will look into the tile installer angle. My builder normally uses a guy that does a good job on tile but is a jack of all trades and I'm not sure about using him for the steam shower.

• s c
    8年前
    Schluter does make great waterproofing and tile installation products, like kerdi and ditra, very expensive though. There are a number of different ways to go about waterproofing a steam shower. I like the Laticrete Lifetime System using cement board and Hydro Ban Liquid waterproofing. I prefer a traditional mud bed floor with a bonded drain assembly, again waterproofed with hydro ban.

You might find guidance on a tile advice forum like John Bridge
    http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

The TCNA also has a lot of resources available on their site
    http://www.tcnatile.com/resources/faqs.html

Laticrete is my preference for manufacturers of tile prep, waterproofing and installation materials. They've also got a ton of literature and videos on just about all of their products and how they recommend you install them.
    http://www.laticrete.com/contractors/products/waterproofing.aspx

But I would strongly advise hiring a professional tile contractor if your builder and his subcontractor aren't experienced in waterproofing for a steam shower. hope that helps.
  • s c
    8年前
    Oh, as far as the actual steam unit, it's not terribly complex. I'v never used that particular brand, but generally they only require a plumber and an electrician to install the steam generator.
  • jbrown93
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

It does help. I've read so much my head is spinning. Do you agree that I need a slightly sloped ceiling, transom window, and preferably porcelain tile? I read that the steam outlet needs to be away from the bench and entrance door. My shower will be about 5ft deep and 4 ft wide. Bench and door will be on the 4 ft sides. Where would I put the steam outlet? Middle of the 5 ft wall? Thanks so much for your help.

• live_wire_oak
    8年前

Ditch the steam shower unless you can find an experienced team to create it for you. You are asking for trouble being their lab rat.

• PRO
    Martin Siwy
    8年前

Tundra Finish Works LLC well said! jbrown93 here is a link that I think you will find useful. It's showing components from a different brand BUT take this as your guideline and verify with your brand to make sure you can install their control inside the shower. Also as Tundra Finish Works LLC mentioned the waterproofing and vapor-proofing is a key. Look at Wedi product. Very easy to do if your framing is done correctly. Good luck!

• PRO
    Gentry Home Builders
    8年前

A steam shower is a great luxury to have in your home. There are a variety of ways to properly waterproof your steam shower. We use a high quality tile backer board followed by a roll-on waterproofing compound.

As for the location of your steam head, it should be located approximately 6-12 inches above the floor on the wall opposite the seating area, away from the door.

• alwayscold
    7年前

JBrown93 how did it turn out??