Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_29766966

Reworking my floor plan

User
8年前
最終更新:8年前

I'm in the process of buying this house and I want it to be more functional. I don't like have multiple living and dining spaces. What I would like to do is have the dining room in the current family room (open to kitchen) and use the whole dining area/living room as a big living room. I need help with the furniture layout in the new living room. We have Bible study meetings with 15-20 people very often and would like to have generous seating space for everyone to gather and feel comfortable in conversation.

コメント (12)

• User
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    *I don't like to have multiple living and dining areas.
  • User
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thank you decoenthusiaste! I love your ideas and wish we had the budget for all of that, but we won't be able to move any walls
  • pcmom1
    8年前

We have friends that have large gathering often. They have three sofas in a U shape. That seats a lot of folks and great for conversation. Comfy also!

Instead of this type, do ones with a bench seat, not individual cushions. Seat more that way!

Living Room · 詳細

• User
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Great idea pcmom! My living room is such a weird shape with lots of doorways. Which wall would this be open to?
  • pcmom1
    8年前

Wow, you really do have some doorways there....

I would take your plan to a furniture store and tell them your needs. I think now that a large sectional without a lot of separate cushions would work well in that one "dining room" corner. Then have a lot of extra rolling ottomans to bring over.

My Houzz: Renovated Farmhouse Merges Historic and Modern Elements · 詳細

• pcmom1
    8年前

An ottoman like this could fit against a far wall and be pulled in as needed. Should seat another three.

Dover Tufted Ivory Fabric Ottoman Bench · 詳細

• PRO
    Myron Shenk
    8年前

It would be helpful to know what you are comfortable doing or what you feel your budget will allow. For example, a few minor exterior renovations could easily accomplish your goals, but I'm not familiar with the covenants and restrictions. It sounds like you are not planning on moving or removing interior walls either.

• pcmom1
    8年前

For the bay window, you could see a local cabinet maker about some seating there, or talk to furniture store about small sofa or a long bench/ottoman as I posted above. Maybe a smaller group may need to "break off" for a different discussion.

Something like this may work for you. Sort of reminds me of your floorplan. Notice how the one sofa is on wheels. That would give your some flexibility.

Living Room/Library · 詳細

• decoenthusiaste
    8年前

Removing that wall would just promote "open concept" and isn't necessary. The other changes to the entry and den could be saved up for and done as you have the budget. New light fixtures would be a major help in giving you an updated appearance right now, if you can budget for those. People usually don't care to sit elbow-to-elbow, and our Bible studies are done around a "U" of folding tables so there's room to spread out Bibles, study aids, and laptops. If you can dedicate the den to the study group's use, consider purchasing three to four folding tables and chairs that can be set up there if you like to have a table surface for the studies. Then furnish the living room with a round table and four chairs in the bay window - a family game table, if you will. I'd use a pair of 3-seat sofas facing each other with four chairs so they form a square with a large coffee table in the center.

• pcmom1
    8年前

There are very lightweight folding tables out there. Got a 6 foot long one at Costco.

• decoenthusiaste
    8年前

Here's the size of your den and this is how we set up 8' tables and chairs with the study leader at a round table in the center which is optional.Seats 21 people.