Houzz Logo Print
koswift

wood floors and wood cabinets- help!

koswift
8年前
We are getting ready to remodel our home with a focus on our kitchen. We have maple cabinets we'd like to keep (but maybe paint the lower cabinets??) but also want wood floors throughout the house. I'd love suggestions on a wood floor color and/or countertop/backsplash colors that would allow the kitchen to not feel dark and to diffuse some of the orangey color of the maple wood. The appliances will be stainless. Thanks!

コメント (9)

• petermann
    8年前
    We have the same cabinets . We just put in a quartz countertop and a glass backsplash in a complimentary color . We have dark hardwood floors .
    koswiftさんはpetermannさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Marlene Oliphant Designs LLC
    8年前

Hi, You could leave the cabinets as they are and add new hardware. You could also paint the upper cabinets white and re-stain the bottom cabinets in an espresso finish, that would look great with the new stainless appliances. If you keep the cabinets as they are, try a bleached oak floor, which would contrast well and keep a light feel going on in there. If you paint the cabinets white on top and bottom, then go with an espresso or dark wood floor. Basically, if you have dark cabinets, go with a light floor; light cabinets, use a lighter wood such as the bleached oak, or go several shades darker with wood or tile on the floor.

Transitional Kitchen · 詳細

Traditional Kitchen · 詳細

California Ranch Remodel · 詳細

In any case, use a light granite for the countertops with a white or cream background and if you can afford it, take it up the backsplash, which will create another beautiful focal point for your kitchen. Here are some ideas from projects we have designed:

Aron Kitchen After A.jpg · 詳細

koswiftさんはMarlene Oliphant Designs LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • jhmarie
    8年前

There are many wood kitchens with wood floors - I have one. I do not feel like it is too much wood, but my cabinets are limited to two walls. I would suggest a natural oak floor simply because that flooring has been around for over 100 years and goes with just about any style and is easy to maintain. It will go with either wood cabinets or painted cabinets.

Do a search of "wood cabinets wood floors" for some pictures.

• grapefruit1_ar
    8年前

We have light oak cabinets and natural white ash floors. They look very good together. New hardware and countertops would be great for your kitchen. I have never embraced the two colors for cabinets. Be sure that is what you want....could be a costly mistake.

• happyleg
    8年前

Paint bottom charcoal gray for cabinet. I love the nickel.

• Shelley Blue
    8年前
    please stay away from those busy granite counter tops and if you must go granite make sure the undertone matches wood cabinets if leaving them as they are. a granite with yellow undertones won't coordinate with cabinet color. have seen that over and over in so many kitchens and it doesn't work well. floor undertone should coordinate also.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8年前

I personally would paint the cabinets white and then your floor choices are much easier I do not like maple with oak in fact I don’t like oak period. maple does change color overtime hence the orangey tone now . Get a nice quartz countertop and no 4” backsplash but a nice backsplash tile down to the counter get rid of all the stuff on top of the cabinets and I can’t see your lighting but make sure you get the right lighting in there pot lights LED and if you have a peninsula or island some pendant lights for color and under cabinet LED lighting too. A counter depth fridge will also make the space feel larger

• jhmarie
    8年前

I cannot see your trim work in the pictures. Sometimes just painting the trim white will help different colors and wood tones blend better.

Maple cabinets with white millwork:

Findley & Myers Soho Maple Kitchen Cabinets · 詳細

Newton Residence · 詳細

Traditional Kitchen · 詳細

I have very similar cabinets but in oak (which I love because they are warm and a little rustic) and am also doing a "refresh". I have refinished the cabinetry and will be installing light quartz counters (haven't picked them out yet) and probably a white subway tile backsplash - it is a simple kitchen. Pics of my work in progress on my humble kitchen are in my idea book for more wood with white mix look.