Houzz Logo Print
melyndas

How comfy is an iron bed?

Melynda
8年前

Starting to think about a new bed frame...and I like the open airy look of metal (iron or brass) beds. I also want to be up high (like, hop into bed, or even a stool). But...and this is a big BUT...I tend to spend a lot of my free time in bed, so it has to be comfortable to sit up in and browse Houzz on my laptop. Will I need a gazillion pillows to make that work? I'm not a decorative pillow kinda gal, by nature. And are the warnings about squeakiness to be heeded? I don't think I'll be shaking the walls, but I do like to roll over now and again during the night. Including a pretty picture that has nothing to do with what frame I may find on craigslist over the next couple weeks...

Coastal Ranch · 詳細

My Houzz: Dreamy, Organic Style in a Tampa Cottage · 詳細

コメント (18)

• PRO
    Alesi Design & Build
    8年前

I agree: the comfort of a bed depends on the mattress ( and on the bedspring, make sure it's pretty robust ).

I also like to spend much time in bed and I am very happy of my new memory foam mattress.

MelyndaさんはAlesi Design & Buildさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8年前

You WILL want large pillow shams against the headboard on an iron bed for sitting reading in bed or laptop use. For sleeping.......lying prone, all that matters is your mattress.

MelyndaさんはJAN MOYERさんにお礼を言いました
  • pandaface2
    8年前

I've been sleeping in an iron bed , standard height for years . Love it wouldn't want to change it .

Melyndaさんはpandaface2さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    8年前

I agree with Jan--because of the open nature of the headboard and the ironwork, you will need several pillows for back support and comfort when sitting up and reading in bed.

MelyndaさんはDiana Bier Interiors, LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • snicole1
    8年前
    You could hang floor to ceiling drapes behind the bed to add warmth. Or could paint the wall behind bed an darker accent color
    Melyndaさんはsnicole1さんにお礼を言いました
  • Melynda
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Thanks everyone! It was the pillows-to-sit-up issue I was mostly wondering about...sounds like I'll need a few more than I normally have, but not necessarily the giant pile covering half the bed I see in pictures. I can handle that.
  • hayleydaniels
    8年前

I think this is what you're looking for. I used one of these for years when I read in my bedroom, and it worked fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Brentwood-Originals-Brushed-Twill-Bedrest/dp/B002S0NJNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445527830&sr=8-1&keywords=pillow+backrest

Melyndaさんはhayleydanielsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Melynda
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thanks Hayley! I forgot about those kinds of pillows, a very good idea.

My next question is about bedskirts on this type of frame...yea or nay? I'm not a frilly kinda girl, and I think it may look nice without. But covering it does allow storing things under the bed. Does anyone have opinions about the appearance of an iron/brass bed with a dust ruffle?

• decoenthusiaste
    8年前

I love mine - it was my great-grandmother's. The issue with old ones is that the mattress may have to be custom made to fit it. Or, you can have the rails extended. New ones don't have these issues, but they lack the history, so I prefer the old ones. I have a friend who collects them and some are just awesome!

Melyndaさんはdecoenthusiasteさんにお礼を言いました
  • tgb1
    8年前

We've had an iron bed for over 20 years, and I absolutely love it! I just prop up pillows to read and watch tv, it's never really been an issue. I also would like to go w/o a dust ruffle, but the metal side rails are very utilitarian and even if I covered the boxspring, I wouldn't want the rails to show. I'm not sure if there is some way this can be dealt with. That being said, my frame is somewhat more elegant and romantic, and it prob looks more appropriate with a bedskirt. I would like the option to go without because that would certainly simplify bed-making.

Melyndaさんはtgb1さんにお礼を言いました
  • Melynda
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Looking at this - says it attaches to a metal frame...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/fuo/5246642846.html
  • emmaline98
    8年前

I have an iron bed my grandmother slept in as a child, so it's been around a while. The only uncomfortable thing about it is the headboard does make it rather uncomfortable to sit up and read against. I solved this problem, however, by getting some large comfy pillows that I'm not afraid to lean against.

So overall, yeah, it can be uncomfortable, but you can solve it.

• djbeer
    8年前
    Hated ours for 20 yrs. Tried Euro pillows but the coverup the look I loved. We have a great mattress but husband is constantly butting his head against headboard and cannot get comfort all sitting in bed. Finally replaced and move into garage for garage sale item.
  • Melynda
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I'm going for it and getting an iron bed. Waiting to hear back about a good deal on Craigslist right now (no pictures until I can get to my computer). But this leads into a whole new question, so I thought I'd share that link...

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/painting-furniture-white-dsvw-vd~3467834
  • Melynda
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    I'm loving my metal bed frame. A couple king size pillows behind my sleeping pillows and I'm perfectly comfortable sitting up. No squeaking or shaking either!
  • PRO
    Awesome Iron
    7年前

Great Idea, Great answers too..A bed should look comfy too.For a unique design like no one else check out www.metalfair365.com

• connie912
    7年前
    Wesley Alan makes beautiful metal beds but they aren't Craig's list prices!