Houzz Logo Print
lrcoyle

TV above fireplace dilemma

Lucy
8年前
Looking for options on how to build in the TV so it does just look like its floating above the fireplace. Can do a cut-out and insert TV inside or maybe take the top half of fireplace back 6" and mount TV above. The fireplace is direct vent so there is no chimney running up behind the TV. There is a bulk head with plumbing and HVAC that runs across the top that I can't touch. I have to leave the bulk head. There is also plumbing running down left-hand side so I can't shrink the width of fireplace box. Open to any suggestions like painting, built in, tiling. We have a mid century vibe in living room.

コメント (10)

• leelee
    8年前

I'm not usually a fan of TV over FP but in your case it seems the best option. I like the balance of the two open niches. To me, it would seem off balance to have the TV on one side or the other.

I would suggest making the sofa and the chairs the same distance from the fireplace. It looks as though the chairs are closer.

Looks nice.

• sandradclark
    8年前

If you painted the FP wall (not niches, though) a dark color the TV would appear to disappear.

• PRO
    Titus Contracting
    8年前

Hi Lucy! Have you considered adding more of a mantle to your fireplace? I would suggest mounting the TV up a few more inches and adding mantle that sticks out a bit farther, so the space between the TV and the wall doesn't look as pronounced. I think the space between the wall and the TV creates the "floating" look, and a bigger mantle might give it the illusion of being more anchored. I do like placement of the TV above the fireplace in your room. Good luck!

• sandradclark
    8年前

I would also add book shelves in either one or both of the niches to display your art glass items & your books in that are currently stacked on the floor.

• Lucy
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Titus
    I have considered a reclaimed beam mantel but not sure if it should sit directly on stone surround or have some distance from surround and if I should recess the TV into wall as well. Any thoughts?
  • Lucy
    質問の投稿者
    8年前
    Sandradclark
    I like your idea of painting the wall a darker colour but not sure what to do about bulk head. If I paint them the same dark colour, it would look like a big letter T. So do I just paint till I get to bulk head? This is why I considered carving out that wall a few inches. That is, from below the bulkhead to the top of the stone surround. And perhaps leaving room for a mantle as suggested by Titus. Thanks everyone
  • PRO
    Titus Contracting
    8年前

A reclaimed beam mantel would be a beautiful character piece to add to your fireplace! I think I would start by positioning it directly above the stone surround, so you aren't having to position your TV too far up the wall (and have to strain your neck to see the TV). You can always play around with the placement before mounting it, and see what you look you prefer. As far as recessing the TV, my opinion would be to wait and see how it looks with the mantel. I think adding the mantel will give the illusion of the TV sitting flatter against the wall. Overall, my advice would be to start as simple as possible, and go from there. I think you will really love the look of the reclaimed beam!

• groveraxle
    8年前

I think a mantel will ruin the fireplace wall. I would do built ins in the two niches, and put the TV in one on an articulating arm. Then I'd rearrange so some of my seating was facing the fireplace, and probably spread the seating out a little more.

• leelee
    8年前

I agree--no mantel and I love mantels. This room is small and the fireplace isn't the kind that calls for a mantel. There isn't enough room without moving the TV higher--not a good idea.

Sorry but a heavy reclaimed beam isn't right with the fireplace or your furniture. Take that money and buy something that really adds to your space.