Houzz Logo Print
grassmere

Suggestions for specimen shrub?

grassmere
8年前

I am in need of a 5x5x5' shrub for a location with rich, well-drained soil in dappled/part shade. I really like doublefile viburnums, but I don't know of one that stays small. The shrub will be right along the walkway to our front door, so I'd like to have multi-season interest.

I had a hydrangea there, but it started to get sick with rusty spots on the leaves, so I removed it. The rusty spots seem to have spread to other nearby hydrangeas, so I don't think I should consider another hydrangea.

Thanks!

コメント (8)

• User
    8年前

Cold hardy gardenia. Chuck Hayes is a good choice, it has a double flower, and there are other cold hardies that would look nice. You are going to have to trim whatever you plant there, at least the gardenia will take a number of years til you have to trim it. And it's evergreen.

• grassmere
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

While I love the look of gardenias, their scent makes my head hurt. :-(

Any other suggestions?

• Alana
    8年前

Loropetalum is a beautiful shrub that has fringe-like flowers that appear during the spring and summer. Loropetalum commonly have purple/green foliage with pink fringe-like flowers (visually interesting), but some species are more green than purple and some have white flowers. It just depends on what you are looking for! Very cold hardy (I think most are tolerant to temperatures between 10 and 20 degrees Fahrenheit) and heat tolerant. You would have to keep it trimmed for sure, but it would look beautiful :)

• PRO
    Linda Greenberg Landscape & Design, LLC
    8年前

As a professional landscape designer, I recommend a Gardenia 'Frostproof' for this space - it offers beautiful lush green foliage with a most wonderful fragrance flower.

Linda Greenberg, APLD

704-995-7173

linda@lglandscapes.net

• maylingsmom
    8年前

According to your zone i agree loropetalum would be nice. Camellias may work for you as well.

• dottiecarrano
    8年前

One of my favorites is contorted filbert, Harry Lauder Walking Stick but I'm not certain how it would do in just dappled shade.

It's contorted branches in winter against a bit of snow background beg for photos.

One thing I had problems with is that it's leaves tend to attract Japanese Beetles.

Fortunately, you can clip off the chewed leaves and the shrub will grow new ones.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    8年前

Here is a link to another thread with several suggestions for camellias that might work.

low growing camellias

• grassmere
    質問の投稿者
    8年前

Thank you all for your suggestions!

PR